HD WiFi camera bird box £35 (DIY make it yourself!)

Posted 14th FebEdited by:"dufus124"
I was looking for a camera bird box for a while and most are over £100 and use old style cameras that need cables run to a TV etc! I decided to make my own and found it was a great little (inexpensive!) project that the whole family can enjoy!
rspb.org.uk/fun…ox/
We had our first 'viewing' of the new house within 24 hrs!

What you'll need:
Piece of timber: 150mm wide by 1.8m long (ideally 15-22mm thick).
I used this from Homebase = £6.75

Small piece of roof felt for the roof. (I went into B&Q and they have these packs of 'roof shingles'. There was a damaged pack on the floor and each piece has 4 sections. One section is ideal size. I asked a worker and they let me have the damaged shingle for free.
3407030.jpg
Yi Home Camera (1080 or 720p version, but ideally needs to be the original version, not the 'camera 3' new version. The old version easily clips out from the stand.) These are on Amazon at the moment for £24.99, but often available on cheaper deals on HUKD.

IP55 junction box from Screwfix = £1.71

(This assumes you have tools, drill, saw etc available!)

The design is copied from this RSPB 'Build a bird box' guide. What you need to do is to add 6cm (60mm) to the height of the front, back and 2x sides. (Roof and base remain the same). You should cut a second 'base' as well (120mm long piece). Remember to adjust the lengths slightly if your wood is not 15mm thick. (From RSBP:Note: the dimensions shown are for 15mm thick wood. If your wood is different to that, the dimensions of the Base should be 150mm by 150mm minus 2 x thickness of the wood, eg if the wood is 18mm thick, the base should be 150mm x 114mm.)

Build the box as described, but leave the back off. Drill the hole for the entrance at the same height from the bottom as shown (150mm up).

3407030.jpg
With the second 'base' you need to use a large bore drill, or jigsaw etc to cut a large hole through the middle (viewing window for the camera). You also need to drill a large hole out of the bottom of the IP55 box to insert the camera through (careful with this!).
3407030.jpg
Screw the second base (one with the big hole in) 6cm down from the top of the front and then screw down the IP55 box to that base.

3407030.jpg
Drill a hole through one of the side walls (drill upwards to avoid rain running in) that is large enough to pass the micro USB connector through. Make a small hole in the rubber gasket and push the cable through into the camera. Recommend writing/drawing something on the bottom of the box with a permanent pen, this will help the camera to focus when no birds are inside.

Put the lid on the IP55 box and put the back and roof on the bird box as per the RSPB instructions.

Install your box in a location where you can connect the USB power (or, if remote, you can leave the cable out and just plug in a power bank when you want to view etc, just ensure the cable is far enough away not to disturb the birds!). RSPB has guide for best places to put the box.

You have a WiFi connected, HD camera bird box for 30% of the cost of one in the shops! (And you can say you built it yourself!)... now just wait for the first visitors...

3407030.jpg
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Thanks @dufus124
What an excellent thread!
However, as it isn't a deal (i.e it's advice, varying merchants etc) we've moved to Discussions.
Nonetheless, this is my favourite thread posted this week. Love it.
12 Comments
Thanks @dufus124
What an excellent thread!
However, as it isn't a deal (i.e it's advice, varying merchants etc) we've moved to Discussions.
Nonetheless, this is my favourite thread posted this week. Love it.
This is excellent 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
70% cheaper and much better quality video than any of the ones on the market... not a deal? Booo!

Glad you like it though :-)
dufus12414/02/2020 22:10

70% cheaper and much better quality video than any of the ones on the …70% cheaper and much better quality video than any of the ones on the market... not a deal? Booo!Glad you like it though :-)

Yeah, I feel bad moving it after all that effort, but we have to be consistent. I genuinely love it though. We get loads of birds visiting us, and we have a few birdhouses so I might (time permitting) give this a go.
Edited by: "andywedge" 14th Feb
Or just buy a £9.99 fulfilled-Amazon rechargeable PIR-triggered (so not false triggers from leaves, etc) wifi cam with IR etc that is apparently but bizarrely somehow provided with its own box, including key ( ? ).
If really pushed for cash, same is £8.81 "used like new".
andywedge14/02/2020 22:09

Thanks @dufus124 What an excellent thread!However, as it isn't a deal (i.e …Thanks @dufus124 What an excellent thread!However, as it isn't a deal (i.e it's advice, varying merchants etc) we've moved to Discussions.Nonetheless, this is my favourite thread posted this week. Love it.

Yep!, and I'm liking it too. :-D
AndyRoyd14/02/2020 22:19

Or just buy a £9.99 fulfilled-Amazon rechargeable PIR-triggered (so not …Or just buy a £9.99 fulfilled-Amazon rechargeable PIR-triggered (so not false triggers from leaves, etc) wifi cam with IR etc that is apparently but bizarrely somehow provided with its own box, including key ( ? ).If really pushed for cash, same is £8.81 "used like new".

Do you have a link please as I can’t find the item you mean?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants