HDD enclosures - Any good for a DIY external drive?

8 replies
Found 2nd Dec 2008
I've just bought myself a shiny new laptop to replace my ancient desktop and my almost as ancient existing laptop.

I thought, rather than completely ditch everything I have, I might as well try and re-use some of the bits, and so I though I could get an enclosure for one of the drives from one of the old machines and use it as an external backup for photos and so on.

I have a ~6 month old 80Gb 2.5" in the laptop and 3 year old 120Gb 3.5" in the desktop. I don't remember the brands.

Are the enclosures you can get (£10ish from what I've seen on a few sites) actually any good, or are they stupidly slow/hot/unreliable?

Any other ideas on what I can do with the old tech?

8 Comments

Nah, they work fine. Just liek the ones you buy ready built

you could just buy a sata to usb cable for like £2.
as long as you dont bash the hard drive around its fine without an enclosure.
I store all my music on mine and have it sitting on the desk.

I've done this 2x and it worked fine. Some good deals on eBay too at well less than a tenner

Original Poster

Tanchi;3635563

you could just buy a sata to usb cable for like £2.as long as you dont … you could just buy a sata to usb cable for like £2.as long as you dont bash the hard drive around its fine without an enclosure.I store all my music on mine and have it sitting on the desk.

nice idea, can you get IDE to usb as well?

Banned

Got one of my USB enclosures for about $6 from dealextreme. Works fine. Seems fast enough.

Banned

chrishill;3636637

nice idea, can you get IDE to usb as well?

Yes you can, like this one: ebuyer.com/pro…274
But it doesn't support 1.8" drives, but does have a seperate power supply.

Banned

go for it... easy to do and transfer rates are the same as retail ones... they use exactly the same components!

Original Poster

guv;3637097

Got one of my USB enclosures for about $6 from dealextreme. Works fine. … Got one of my USB enclosures for about $6 from dealextreme. Works fine. Seems fast enough.

good tip, I found one for $6.50 which looks perfect! Rep'd for that :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cannot upgrade to iOS 11.0.323
    2. Mobile phone advice710
    3. Christmas presents715
    4. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?24

See more discussions