Groups
    EXPIRED

HDD on laptop question - where is all the space being used up?

I have a 320gb hdd in my laptop split into 2 partitions C: and B:

C is 151 gb but windows keeps telling me the drive is running low on capacity even though i was sure there should be plenty of room.

So i've downloaded a programme called treesize to tell me where i'm using up all the memory.

I've done this and it is saying the total i'm using is 25.9gb.

where can all the other be used up? i assume the operating system uses around 15?

9 Comments

Banned

Can you drill down to the C partition and root and work it out from there going into each folder prefs?

Backups?

Original Poster

In tree size it's say:

8.6gb windows
    7.6gb users
    5.2gb programme files
    3.8gb [files]

i haven't backed anything up onto that drive

Maybe restore point info. Had a user who had 50gb of restore point data last week.

Original Poster

baconsandwich

Maybe restore point info. Had a user who had 50gb of restore point data … Maybe restore point info. Had a user who had 50gb of restore point data last week.

how can i find out if it's that and how can i delete it

edit: already found it, it's not that, it's not using anything at the moment
    Edited by: "souljacker" 5th Sep 2010

Original Poster

Just tried another utlity and found that in C:windows/temp it's using 117 GB, do i need all or any of these files in temp??

Download a small program called CCleaner (google it, its free). It will wipe all the temp files quickly and properly (unlike the Windows Disk Cleanup).

I would also run a ScanDisk (Go to My Computer - Right Click on C: - Select Properties - Tools Tab. Select to 'Check Now'. You will need to reboot. Check to see if the Master Boot Block and FAT table are OK.

As some said above - Switch off System Restore and put it Back on (Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings (vista) or System Restore Tab (XP).

CCleaner
    piriform.com/ccl…ner

Its a really good package, use it all the time.

Original Poster

cheers i'll try that

edit: that's sorted it, thanks a lot
    Edited by: "souljacker" 6th Sep 2010
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. RIP DOCTOR WHO78
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?33
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30384
      4. PlayStation Hacked Again?44