HDMI 2.0 connector question

Posted 4th Mar
I have just purchased a lovely new 4K tv. When I wall mounted my previous TV I deliberately used HDMI 2.0 cables to make sure I was 4K ready. However I used a media faceplate to ‘tidy up’ so I am not sure if my HDMI connector, basically just a female to female connector is 4K compatible.

My question is, does the connector need to be 4K or is it sufficient that the cable on either side (and the devices of course) are 4K capable. I can’t find anything definitive?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

3 Comments
There really is no easy answer here, you will have to test it.

HDMI 2.0 cables aren't really a thing, it's just a marketing term but I assume by that you mean cables certified for 18 Gbit/s. In reality the cables might just hit that spec or be way better.

The issue with any cable joins is they will all introduce noise and thus lower bandwidth, by how much will depend on the quality of everything used - For example, if you connect 2 * 18 Gbit/s cables together you wont end up with one long 18 Gbit/s cable, the bandwidth will be reduced.
Edited by: "Gormond" 4th Mar
Gormond04/03/2020 16:39

There really is no easy answer here, you will have to test it.HDMI 2.0 …There really is no easy answer here, you will have to test it.HDMI 2.0 cables aren't really a thing, it's just a marketing term but I assume by that you mean cables certified for 18 Gbit/s. In reality the cables might just hit that spec or be way better.The issue with any cable joins is they will all introduce noise and thus lower bandwidth, by how much will depend on the quality of everything used - For example, if you connect 2 * 18 Gbit/s cables together you wont end up with one long 18 Gbit/s cable, the bandwidth will be reduced.

Thank you very much for your advice. I tried what I thought was a ‘non 4K’ cable with the PS4 Pro and my TV (rates HDMI 1.4) but when I altered my tv settings to HDMI 2 ‘protocol’ it suddenly appeared in all that tasty 4K goodness! Just goes to show even if it’s not certified for 18 Gbit/s, it may still be capable. Thanks again!
Big_Mr_P06/03/2020 20:20

Thank you very much for your advice. I tried what I thought was a ‘non 4K’ …Thank you very much for your advice. I tried what I thought was a ‘non 4K’ cable with the PS4 Pro and my TV (rates HDMI 1.4) but when I altered my tv settings to HDMI 2 ‘protocol’ it suddenly appeared in all that tasty 4K goodness! Just goes to show even if it’s not certified for 18 Gbit/s, it may still be capable. Thanks again!

NP, In my experience at short lengths most cables will hit the 18 Gbit/s mark.

Interestingly I remember reading that when cables are sent for certification they only test the longest as it's a worse case scenario and then rate all the shorter cables based on that. So if they test 1-12m cables and the 12m doesn't hit 18 Gbit/s then none of them will be certified to hit that speed even though its very likely the shorter cables will.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants