HDMI cable

Found 11th Jan
I have HDMI cables from ten years ago.
Will they be suitable for a new 4k tv?

If not, how can I tell the version? The tv is not yet bought so can't test until it's here at which point I'd be wasting time going off to buy new cables if these are indeed not suitable.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
7 Comments
There is a good chance your cable is standard speed and you need a high speed cable.
Yes and no,

It will still work but it will not be 4K quality

It is probably 1.3 not even 1.4

I would suggest changing it but it depends what the cable is going into
Possibly if it's a good enough cable. I'm not sure if there's additional cables in high-speed but I doubt it. If it's about 1m I would give it a go.
OK so I'm going to assume I will need new cables.
2m in length.
Are all new HDMI cables 2.0 / suitable for 4k, or do I need to be careful?
MIDURIX2 h, 49 m ago

There is a good chance your cable is standard speed and you need a high …There is a good chance your cable is standard speed and you need a high speed cable.

The standard speed/high speed categories were introduces in 2007 IIRC but most cables designed before then (as this one could well have been) did work at the higher bandwidths, especially in shorter lengths. Standard speed cables were always very rare.

@Bestard: Versions apply to devices only, anyone advertising a version on the cable is being misleading and I believe any cable that has been through the HDMI certification program is explicitly banned from doing so.

It's likely that a 2m cable will work fine, I'd give it a go. If it doesn't work it'll only be for devices that are transmitting high bandwidth signals (4K) and will still work fine for everything else.
EndlessWaves2 h, 35 m ago

The standard speed/high speed categories were introduces in 2007 IIRC but …The standard speed/high speed categories were introduces in 2007 IIRC but most cables designed before then (as this one could well have been) did work at the higher bandwidths, especially in shorter lengths. Standard speed cables were always very rare.@Bestard: Versions apply to devices only, anyone advertising a version on the cable is being misleading and I believe any cable that has been through the HDMI certification program is explicitly banned from doing so.It's likely that a 2m cable will work fine, I'd give it a go. If it doesn't work it'll only be for devices that are transmitting high bandwidth signals (4K) and will still work fine for everything else.

I was just going by what I've read recently at CNET. They said any cable older than 2009 might not be able to handle it.
MIDURIX33 m ago

I was just going by what I've read recently at CNET. They said any cable …I was just going by what I've read recently at CNET. They said any cable older than 2009 might not be able to handle it.

I wouldn't take CNET as a good source for anything technical.

Category-1/Standard speed was always a very low bar, it only certifies the cable for half the speed the original HDMI standard was designed for, the latter was identical to single link DVI that had been going for years at that point.

I don't know if I ever saw a standard speed cable on sale, I suspect it was mainly for niche markets.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants