HDMI CABLE QUESTIONS ABOUT LENGTH ETC

Found 26th Oct 2017
Hello need an HDMI cable either 6 or 7 metres

will the extra metre as its tight decrease the signal any or is that over much longer lengths

Also
as i need to put it through a wall twice is there any kind of plastic
cap etc to hide hole as HDMI has big ends not just wire like sat cable

please do not advise to take it apart or just fill in hole around it as i am trying to avoid that

thanks as usual for any replies
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Have you googled it? Seems like answer is about 15m before you lose signal strength
search for detachable hdmi cables, some use micro/mini hdmi so you can fit it through a small hole, then normal sized end stick on end
Instead of going through the wall, can you do it so it goes under the wall (Wooden floor boards) or is it outside walls or concrete floors .
What are you using this HDMI cable for ?
You can do HDMI over Ethernet (cat5/cat6), at the distance your talking you could use the cheap adapters found on ebay, which are basically a HDMI plug with Ethernet socket.

If you make your own cat5/cat6 cable then you would only need a hole big enough for the cable.
barco1 h, 11 m ago

Something like this for the …Something like this for the hole?https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bull-Brush-Cable-Outlet-Plate-White/dp/B00DP4SFE6

Was thinking something like the plastic that goes in walls sky cable or round radiator pipes so no creepy crawlies and drafts
RunningSquid1 h, 9 m ago

Have you googled it? Seems like answer is about 15m before you lose signal …Have you googled it? Seems like answer is about 15m before you lose signal strength

Tried google and got different answers and anyway more experts on here anyway
MIDURIX1 h, 6 m ago

search for detachable hdmi cables, some use micro/mini hdmi so you can fit …search for detachable hdmi cables, some use micro/mini hdmi so you can fit it through a small hole, then normal sized end stick on end

thanks will do (hope they do not lose signal as i do not like joining anything even if its detachible)
KemCol26th Oct 2017

Instead of going through the wall, can you do it so it goes under the wall …Instead of going through the wall, can you do it so it goes under the wall (Wooden floor boards) or is it outside walls or concrete floors .

would have to lift carpet and joists go wrong way more hassle
kester7641 m ago

What are you using this HDMI cable for ?

playstation and another for sky tv (rf2 is only analogue)
I know you can do it through two boxes with cat6 wire on the run and hdmi out both small boxes but dont think i am over distance to need to even try this
Van197339 m ago

or this …or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-Brush-Plate-single-gang/322796770530?hash=item4b282fd4e2:g:6kAAAOSwbAtZyhS7

no no no that looks horendous
4Real201636 m ago

You can do HDMI over Ethernet (cat5/cat6), at the distance your talking …You can do HDMI over Ethernet (cat5/cat6), at the distance your talking you could use the cheap adapters found on ebay, which are basically a HDMI plug with Ethernet socket.If you make your own cat5/cat6 cable then you would only need a hole big enough for the cable.

see answer above dont think i will need to do this
I believe the practical limit for a normal High Speed HDMI cable is around 8m, although you can do longer if you don't need the full 18Gbps bandwidth (e.g. only Full HD).

So yes, 7m instead of 6m will slightly decrease the chance of it working at maximum capacity. Assuming you buy good cable (which isn't the same as expensive) and your home isn't particularly noisy you'll likely get away with it.

Beyond that you'd be looking at fibre or ethernet.
will also try looking for some sort of wall plates but dont have the time tonight
thanks for all the replys will have a better look tomorrow
EndlessWaves4 m ago

I believe the practical limit for a normal High Speed HDMI cable is around …I believe the practical limit for a normal High Speed HDMI cable is around 8m, although you can do longer if you don't need the full 18Gbps bandwidth (e.g. only Full HD).So yes, 7m instead of 6m will slightly decrease the chance of it working at maximum capacity. Assuming you buy good cable (which isn't the same as expensive) and your home isn't particularly noisy you'll likely get away with it.Beyond that you'd be looking at fibre or ethernet.

will it make any difference if and when i move to 4k ie will it mean the cable length will need to be shorter before it loses signal
madmax6669 m ago

will it make any difference if and when i move to 4k ie will it mean the …will it make any difference if and when i move to 4k ie will it mean the cable length will need to be shorter before it loses signal

That is for 4K (which uses the full bandwidth). Apparently Full HD can work out to about 15m or so.
madmax6669 h, 36 m ago

will it make any difference if and when i move to 4k ie will it mean the …will it make any difference if and when i move to 4k ie will it mean the cable length will need to be shorter before it loses signal

When you move to 4k you will probably be using a sky q mini for SKY and streaming ps4 on your TV. Remember this us just a cheap bodge. Only cables I would run would be network till whole home mesh networking takes over.
This is what I am trying to do
Tv on wall with ps4 on opposite side of room on unit (hdmi from tv inside wall over roof and down wall) 6 metres at a push maybe 7

Also sky box one side of split room with hdmi splitter and going to two tvs (not more than 2 metres away)

Only problem i get hd but cant have magic eye is this correct
Know i could go rf2 and get magic eye but it is only analogue
madmax66618 h, 38 m ago

This is what I am trying to do Tv on wall with ps4 on opposite side of …This is what I am trying to do Tv on wall with ps4 on opposite side of room on unit (hdmi from tv inside wall over roof and down wall) 6 metres at a push maybe 7Also sky box one side of split room with hdmi splitter and going to two tvs (not more than 2 metres away)Only problem i get hd but cant have magic eye is this correct Know i could go rf2 and get magic eye but it is only analogue

You can use RF2/magic eye and HDMI at the same time or using a IR HDMI injector kit but not sure if the HDMI supports 60Hz 4K. Lots of ways of doing this properly with flat hdmi under flooring or running cables through ceiling.
Ok thanks only a budget 42” tv for sons bedroom and as hdmi cable entry out of wall will be hidden going to use radiator pipe plastic collar which will go round hdmi cable and hide hole on wall ( and as they are plastic might drill hole in them and fix to wall)
Edited by: "madmax666" 12th Nov 2017
Would anyone recommend these or prefer straight through wire

Tidiness v signal strength i would presume but they must work and loss would be minimal??

32424877.jpg

32424877.jpg
Edited by: "madmax666" 13th Nov 2017
This is for HD not 4k
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants