Groups

HDMI cable....will it improve pic....

Hi
    My son has come home saying he wants an HDMI cable whatever one of those is. He'd been to his friends and they have one and picture from his PS3 is better. He has the new slim version so i wondered if this had anything to do with it we have the fatter version. Is this right or might they just have a better tv, although i think ours is quite good.
    Before i order one can someone clarify that this would help and any idea of where i should get one otherwise i would probably just look on amazon or game.
    Thanks in advance.

20 Comments

its a digital input as opposed to analogue.

its a better connection and you can pick one up for £2 or so from the amazon marketplace.

You need an hdtv to use HDMI. If your son's tv is CRT eg a standard definition (glass screen) then thats why his mates piccy looks lots better as they are using a high definition tv/monitor

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7208384

What ccable do you use atm?

I love your questions because you still dont know me yet.....if i said the cables that come with the PS3 would that be silly. I dont even know where this cable goes. i presumed from PS3 to back of TV....i expect everyone to be having a good laugh now.

I know the TV is one of those HD ready things.

Banned

you need a hdtv in order for the ps3 to work off hdmi cable (540p/720p1080i/1080p) Full hd

as oppossed to

a non hdtv using ps3 from the av scart you are only getting 540 sd ( Standard Definition )

yes hdmi will improve the picture quality by a lot,

Goofeys Girl;7208414

I love your questions because you still dont know me yet.....if i said … I love your questions because you still dont know me yet.....if i said the cables that come with the PS3 would that be silly. I dont even know where this cable goes. i presumed from PS3 to back of TV....i expect everyone to be having a good laugh now.I know the TV is one of those HD ready things.

the cables that come with the PS3 are just SCART cables (thats what i got with mine). As you have an HD tv, without the HDMI cable he's not playing in HD. Get him one now! Will improve it no end. :thumbsup:

you know ur tv is a hd ready one then if you get the HDMI cable it will make the picture look like it did at his mates house. simples

play.com will sell hdmi cables cheap no need to spend any more than a tenner

something like this will do the job
    play.com/Ele…tml

Banned

numptyj;7208470

you know ur tv is a hd ready one then if you get the HDMI cable it will … you know ur tv is a hd ready one then if you get the HDMI cable it will make the picture look like it did at his mates house. simplesplay.com will sell hdmi cables cheap no need to spend any more than a tenner something like this will do the jobhttp://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9556399/Sovos-Gold-Plated-1-5M-Professional-1-3b-HDMI-Cable-1-5m-PS3-Xbox-360/Product.html

or poundland they sell hdmi cable's for £1

Then an HDMI cable might improve things like ghosting on text eg a component connection to your TV is still a high def connection but can suffer from ghosting/blurring.

However some people who have high definition tvs' are still using a composite connection to their high def TVs connectionTVs (eg a yellow RCA cable plugged into yellow RCA on TV with red/white RCA for stereo audio) the picture is 480i dot crawling hideous and they think that's normal or it's plugged into a scart block which has red/white/yellow RCA

So using and hdmi should improve picture compared to a component connection and will definitely improve over /composite/rgb/scart

Original Poster

Thank you to you all......have a lovely Christmas...repped you all.

Sorry dontasciime and dj_urban it wouldnt let me rep you.

:)hi just like to say you get what you pay for with hdmi cable spend a pound ...dont get much clarity...spend £25 get much better clarity or for superb quaility & clarity spend around £75-£125 you will notice the difference...good luck:thumbsup:

Mr Weasle;7209016

:)hi just like to say you get what you pay for with hdmi cable spend a … :)hi just like to say you get what you pay for with hdmi cable spend a pound ...dont get much clarity...spend £25 get much better clarity or for superb quaility & clarity spend around £75-£125 you will notice the difference...good luck:thumbsup:

Total nonsense - at around the 2m typical cable length there is no difference in the quality:

audioholics.com/edu…sts

The only difference you'll notice when spending £125 on a short cable is the hole in your wallet and the 'mug' stamp on your forehead.

John

Banned

Mr Weasle;7209016

:)hi just like to say you get what you pay for with hdmi cable spend a … :)hi just like to say you get what you pay for with hdmi cable spend a pound ...dont get much clarity...spend £25 get much better clarity or for superb quaility & clarity spend around £75-£125 you will notice the difference...good luck:thumbsup:

Johnmcl7;7209090

Total nonsense - at around the 2m typical cable length there is no … Total nonsense - at around the 2m typical cable length there is no difference in tehq uality:http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-testsThe only difference you'll notice when spending £125 on a short cable is the hole in your wallet and the 'mug' stamp on your forehead.John

+1

iv had a £10 hdmi and i have 2 cheap few quid ones and there is no difference in quality, the quality is the same no matter what hdmi you buy,

dont worry about the rep lol providing my opinion/help on the hukd community lol

emhaslam;7208450

the cables that come with the PS3 are just SCART cables (thats what i got … the cables that come with the PS3 are just SCART cables (thats what i got with mine). As you have an HD tv, without the HDMI cable he's not playing in HD. Get him one now! Will improve it no end. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it's worse than that, the PS3 is only shipped with composite (yellow phono) and a scart adapter - one of the worst SD connections there is.

John

Banned

Mr Weasle;7209016

Thanks for the good laugh lol :whistling:

you're obviously someone who got suckered in by the spotty kid in currys

:):-D not a problem...i work in the hi-fi industry....can only advise....cant convert everyone;-)

Mr Weasle;7211530

:):-D not a problem...i work in the hi-fi industry....can only … :):-D not a problem...i work in the hi-fi industry....can only advise....cant convert everyone;-)

Amstrad/Schneider still making Hi-Fis ?

nope not morrisons....try superfi...quality hi-fi...dont know about amstrad went out of business long time back:roll:

Do you honestly think, bearing in mind the op didn't even know what an HDMI cable was, that they will see a visible difference between a £10 and £100 cable?

Mr Weasle;7209016

:oops:
    a digital signal over hdmi either 'gets through' or it doesnt, no degrading of quality possible

Mr Weasle;7212355

nope not morrisons....try superfi...quality hi-fi...dont know about … nope not morrisons....try superfi...quality hi-fi...dont know about amstrad went out of business long time back:roll:

But that's a bit like someone claiming to be a petroleum engineer when they are simply pump attendants.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764446
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1645
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?25103
      4. Anyone else used www.completesavings.co.uk32

See more discussions