Groups

HDMI or Component on Xbox 360, which is best?

Hi Guys,

Just bought a new Sony HDTV, and am very happy with it. The picture is amazing!

Currently, I am connecting my xbox 360 to it via the component leads, and it does output at 1080p, so I am happy with that.

If I buy a decent HDMI cable for it, will my picture improve?

Has anyone tried both?

Thanks and Rep for any advice

18 Comments

Banned

Marginally, yes, as it is a digital signal, and component is analogue.

Try a 99p HDMI lead!

hdmi is better yes

Yeah, it does improve slighty, just dont get conned into buying a £100 HDMI cable, they do the same job as a 99p one.

HDMI..........but unless you have a large screen TV you won't see any difference.

Original Poster

I didn't realise that component was an analogue signal.

Is the difference really that notable? I will get a cheap one when the shops round here open up again.

I only have a 32" screen, will I see a difference?

Thanks to you all, rep left for everyone

Didn't think the 360 could do 1080p?

Goonieman;7528484

Yes............most games now are 1080p. It's just their movie service that is 720p

Syzable;7528495

Yes............most games now are 1080p. It's just their movie service … Yes............most games now are 1080p. It's just their movie service that is 720p

Ah right, thought it was 720 only. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Banned

The 360 won't do 1080p through a component. Go with the HDMI cable. As it's a digital signal, it doesn't matter how cheap the cable is as long as the 360 interprets the signal as a 1 or a 0. Even a microwave operating next to it wouldn't cause that much distortiong on an HDMI cable. On a component, however..........

I use HDMI on a 32 and a 37 inch flatscreen. Do it now!

Original Poster

Goonieman;7528484

yeah it definitely can. In the system settings, there is an option for 1080p, Forza 3 looked AMAZING!!

Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys. I have repped everyone

if i have an old 360 (without a hdmi connection) does anyone know if i can get a cable with the old connection on one end and an hdmi connection on the other?

dcx_badass;7528508

Probably won't notice a difference, but for the sake of £1 doesn't hurt … Probably won't notice a difference, but for the sake of £1 doesn't hurt to change over anyway.

agreed.

Original Poster

andymack;7528884

if i have an old 360 (without a hdmi connection) does anyone know if i … if i have an old 360 (without a hdmi connection) does anyone know if i can get a cable with the old connection on one end and an hdmi connection on the other?

I don't think they make a cable like that do they?

The Hdmi also includes Dolby trueHd 5.1 which i dont think optical will decode .

dcx_badass;7530095

Can't get them, you need a converter box to convert Analogue to Digital, … Can't get them, you need a converter box to convert Analogue to Digital, pretty expensive and not really worth it.

poop - aw well the component will just have to do - ta though

Goonieman;7528484

yes it can

Original Poster

Managed to borrow an HDMI cable and just tried it out.

The quality is a lot better! There is certainly less motion blur. Also as Tazzer said, you get proper Dolby 5.1 which is great.

I have the HDMI going into my TV and then a digital optical going from the TV to my amp.

Thanks to everyone
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423514459
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851340
      3. £75 voucher for Argos, M&S or NEXT when you take out Life Insurance (£63.90…88
      4. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?25

See more discussions