HDMI OR DVI???

Posted 1st Dec
Hey everyone just wanted people’s opinions on which they use for pc gaming? hdmi or dvi cable? I’ve been using hdmi but even tho I’ve got a half decent pc and monitor the picture still isn’t right... so I’ve just switched to the dvi lead... does anyone else get a blur type on a red or blue icon on there screen? it’s hard to describe and people will prob just think I’ve got a rubbish set up lol... I’m pretty new to the pc world
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Is your resolution set correct for your monitor and make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date.

Please what is your monitor.

PS I would use HDMI not DVI and if you display port use that instead.
My monitor is an msi 27 inch widescreen 144hz 1ms
Where abouts is the blur icon?
I’ve just downloaded fifa 20 and some of the detail is a bit fuzzy especially when it’s red or blue, it’s strange, it’s like something isn’t quite set up right but I can’t figure out what it is, I’ve downloaded latest drivers and keep changing the HZ in the settings to see if it changes etc
My machine is more than capable too with the requirements
This monitor is not IPS is it?
Does it happen on desktop and all games?
If your actually making use of the 144hz refresh rate I would go with HDMI, although DVI is capable of that rate.

Other than data rates DVI and HDMI deliver the same digital signal, your problem can't be the cable.
Not all games no, I’ve been playing rage 2 and the graphics are incredible,, so I don’t know why, fifa is better quality on my PS4 than it is my pc but it shouldn’t be like that?
Yes agree not a cable problem, either GPU or faulty monitor maybe?
Yes I find Fifa better on PS4 than PC, make sure that your games are set to correct resolution and exclusive full screen.
What's your GPU?
Munch198101/12/2019 18:56

Yes I find Fifa better on PS4 than PC, make sure that your games are set …Yes I find Fifa better on PS4 than PC, make sure that your games are set to correct resolution and exclusive full screen.

I actually bought for strategy games etc so I should use my console for fast paced sports game’s really.. Yeah I realise it’s not the cable now, just wanted people’s opinions that’s all, Thanks guys
Intel® Core™ i5-9400F Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB
I know it’s not the best and could do with another 8gb or ram at least
Memory should not effect the problem you are having.
Pipey8401/12/2019 19:03

I know it’s not the best and could do with another 8gb or ram at least

Games are run from RAM like all programs, that's what loading the game is all about, not many games load 8GB, there's only a handful of PC games that require over 8GB. Of course your OS needs some to run as well
If you've changed monitor, you may need to redo the ClearType tuning, as if the monitor changed between BGR and RGB sub pixel alignment, the ClearType (sub pixel rendering) will cause blur or fringing.
Adjust ClearType Text - which will also check that the monitor is on native resolution
In the first pair of boxes, look at the quality of the lowercase l characters, on the correct one, they should be crisp and sharp, on the other, they will be widened and fuzzy - this is the RGB / BGR sub pixel layout choice.
The remainder are a bit harder to pick, but you can quickly rule out the ones that look really bad
matth999901/12/2019 19:31

If you've changed monitor, you may need to redo the ClearType tuning, as …If you've changed monitor, you may need to redo the ClearType tuning, as if the monitor changed between BGR and RGB sub pixel alignment, the ClearType (sub pixel rendering) will cause blur or fringing.Adjust ClearType Text - which will also check that the monitor is on native resolutionIn the first pair of boxes, look at the quality of the lowercase l characters, on the correct one, they should be crisp and sharp, on the other, they will be widened and fuzzy - this is the RGB / BGR sub pixel layout choice.The remainder are a bit harder to pick, but you can quickly rule out the ones that look really bad

Got the monitor and pc together mate ?
I'd try defaulting your screen-settings then use whatever it says for 'phase-setting' (or phase-something).

That usually sorts out weird-blur (Esp sideways blur-lines on specific colours)... Telling your screen to go to factory-default settings can't hurt except maybe have to tell it you're using GSync/FreeSync again.

DVI & HDMI are the same in many ways - It's good to try both tho, just to find if one of your cables is fragged.

(I'm assuming you have all updates Esp Gfx card)

How much messing around have you done with monitor settings already?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions