He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches.

Found 22nd Mar
I'm a coach/bus driver. I was allocated a private hire today to take a school group, on a double decker, to a museum. At the last minute the teacher rang up and cancelled the double decker and asked for a coach instead. The reason for the cancellation?..... "Because it takes too long to do up all the children's seat belts".

Now I'm a lowly driver, I didn't go to university, but by my reckoning doing up 40 seatbelts on a coach will take the same time as doing up 40 seatbelts on a double decker bus. Or am I missing something?

This isn't the first time I've heard teachers or even university Don's (I do a lot of work with the Cambridge university's) saying something stupid or incredibly naive.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
davewave33 m ago

University education concentrates on subjects other than common sense, you …University education concentrates on subjects other than common sense, you are indeed correct about the seatbelts, perhaps let the teacher know.

33491653-oso2x.jpg
University education concentrates on subjects other than common sense, you are indeed correct about the seatbelts, perhaps let the teacher know.
25 Comments
University education concentrates on subjects other than common sense, you are indeed correct about the seatbelts, perhaps let the teacher know.
i can confirm, i was seatbelt
davewave33 m ago

University education concentrates on subjects other than common sense, you …University education concentrates on subjects other than common sense, you are indeed correct about the seatbelts, perhaps let the teacher know.

33491653-oso2x.jpg
Haha great title
He Who Dares, Wins
They will save about 10 seconds climbing the stairs on a double decker..
Everyone can have a dumb moment, even people well educated
CoeK19 m ago

Everyone can have a dumb moment, even people well educated

Some 'people well educated' haven't a clue.
Edited by: "kay_uddin" 22nd Mar
fanpages20 m ago

@mrty"He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches.I'm a coach/bus driver. I …@mrty"He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches.I'm a coach/bus driver. I was allocated a private hire today to take a school group, on a double decker, to a museum. At the last minute the teacher rang up and cancelled the double decker and asked for a coach instead. The reason for the cancellation?..... "Because it takes too long to do up all the children's seat belts". Now I'm a lowly driver, I didn't go to university, but by my reckoning doing up 40 seatbelts on a coach will take the same time as doing up 40 seatbelts on a double decker bus. Or am I missing something?This isn't the first time I've heard teachers or even university Don's (I do a lot of work with the Cambridge university's) saying something stupid or incredibly naive."Some do not know how to spell the plural of university.Seriously, though, how old are the children?Can they not fasten their own seatbelts?

It's 2018, Millennial's have everything done for them!
kay199229 m ago

Some 'people well educated' haven't a clue.

About what?
CoeK12 m ago

About what?

Strapping seat belts.
He who chats. Does
kay199239 m ago

Strapping seat belts.

I'm sure they know how to do it, they just said something silly about saving time.
CoeK14 m ago

I'm sure they know how to do it, they just said something silly about …I'm sure they know how to do it, they just said something silly about saving time.

No they said something silly about doing up seatbelts on a double decker therefore want a coach instead as if coaches don't have seatbelts???
And the wheels on the bus go round & round.
splatsplatsplat2 h, 8 m ago

They will save about 10 seconds climbing the stairs on a double decker.. …They will save about 10 seconds climbing the stairs on a double decker..

And as a kid, no one wants to travel on the bottom. + 40 seconds, i reckon.
Common sense - not common at all these days.
Is he price different? If so then perhaps it’s your lie detector that’s faulty.

My advice would be to ask them, politely, why they think it would take longer.

“Can I just ask, if you don’t mind explaining it to me, why do you think it would take less time to do up the seat belts on a coach instead of a double decker?”

The chances are you’ll find that it’s another reason like they don’t have enough supervision and can’t be going up and down the stairs constantly to check the kids are not messing about taking their belts off.

They may not even know why, they could reply with “to be honest, mate, I thought the same thing but it was my boss that asked me to phone so do you think we can do the coach cause I would rather not have to go ask him wtf he is on about...”
Edited by: "Schwifty" 22nd Mar
kay19924 h, 10 m ago

No they said something silly about doing up seatbelts on a double decker …No they said something silly about doing up seatbelts on a double decker therefore want a coach instead as if coaches don't have seatbelts???

You really deconstructed that well.
We don’t want to wear out the teachers by going up and down stairs they already have to work till three in the afternoon, have every weekend off along with a week off in feb two weeks at Easter a week in may six weeks July/Aug a week in October and two weeks off at Christmas come on now give them a break .
Shouldn’t it be the other way around ??? Double decker bus don’t have seatbelts do they ??? But coaches do!!! So I thought he be cancelling the coach for a bus ???
OoEliteoO11 h, 27 m ago

We don’t want to wear out the teachers by going up and down stairs they a …We don’t want to wear out the teachers by going up and down stairs they already have to work till three in the afternoon, have every weekend off along with a week off in feb two weeks at Easter a week in may six weeks July/Aug a week in October and two weeks off at Christmas come on now give them a break .

I'm not a teacher thankfully but i do know a couple and know for a fact that it isn't as easy as you make it sound(as much as i tell them otherwise to their faces).
Simply wanted a smaller vehivle , but didnt want to give the real reason in case you charge for the Big vehicle. Or rmaybe there are low bridges along the shortest route? Buses normally have an escape hatch on the top , which could be opened ...
Original Poster
paul15211 h, 32 m ago

Shouldn’t it be the other way around ??? Double decker bus don’t have sea …Shouldn’t it be the other way around ??? Double decker bus don’t have seatbelts do they ??? But coaches do!!! So I thought he be cancelling the coach for a bus ???

No, we have seat belts fitted on our double deckers as we do a lot of infant and primary school children. They may not be a legal requirement on service buses but we have them on all our double deckers. Because it's not a legal requirement doesn't make it right or safe.
The actual scenario could be something like this. Perhaps the person had been asked to book "a bus" so they thought it would be nice to get a double decker because the kids would be excited. But then when they liaised with the other staff going on the trip someone went off on one. Perhaps objecting to having a double decker because: "supervision would be harder"; or "the kids would be too excited": or "what if we go under a low bridge?"; or "the kids will argue about who goes up top"; or maybe some other silly reason that wouldn't really be an issue. When, in fact, the person objecting is actually just jealous that they weren't asked to book the bus and are out to cause trouble. So the person who booked the bus gets told by the organiser that they've done the wrong thing and to cancel the bus. So when they phone back they are feeling sore and deflated that someone has wrecked what they thought would be nice for the kids and are completely fed up with the bus non-issue. When you asked why they wanted the change, they perhaps couldn't remember the supposed stupid reason and just made up the first thing that came into their head. People get forced into stupid situations all of the time by petty little disruptive people with big egos who want to make sure everyone knows that their opinion counts. As workplaces go I think schools probably have more than their fair share.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions