Head Unit with Apple CarPlay

Posted 14th Apr
Hi all hope you’re all doing well

I’ve got an Audi with the RNSE head unit and it’s older version with the CD/TV rather than Media button. I’m looking to upgrade to a unit with Apple CarPlay. Please share your recommendations and experiences.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Happy with my pioneer sph-da120. I would buy another but with dab. The da130 is less than £300.
Wadda14/04/2020 19:27

Happy with my pioneer sph-da120. I would buy another but with dab. The …Happy with my pioneer sph-da120. I would buy another but with dab. The da130 is less than £300.

I’ve seen that whilst having a search and would be one I’d consider. I’d prefer a more OEM VAG look
Have a look at xtrons, they may have an oem type fit for your car, they have a decent selection of vag straight fits
Sprinter51514/04/2020 20:44

I’ve seen that whilst having a search and would be one I’d consider. I’d pr …I’ve seen that whilst having a search and would be one I’d consider. I’d prefer a more OEM VAG look

What model and year is car? Problem is I think you will end up having to buy a cheep Android one that looks factory then add the Chinese CarPlay add on. I can’t see the quality being great for the money
Edited by: "Wadda" 14th Apr
I've spent years using/playing/flashing various brand Chinese Android headunit's from Xtrons/Pumpkin etc...after switching to my current Pioneer sph-da230dab I wouldn't touch another Chinese Android headunit again for my main car. Slow, unreliable and always buggy. I still have one in one of my car's but I will likely replace with a Pioneer at some point.

Can't vouch for Apple CarPlay on the SPH-DA230 as I only use Android auto but that runs faultlessly so I'd imagine Carplay will be the same.

I paid £260 for mine as an eBay open box. Great Stereo, mine's fitted in an E-Class Merc and works with all steering controls etc but remote display of audio in the dash doesn't work with the aftermarket headunit.

If you do go for a Chinese android unit just remember that although they say Quad/Octacore etc the chipset they use is low end and they are all pretty slow. Also don't buy from AliExpress etc...it WILL go wrong and you WILL need to return at some point, Amazon will charge you more in the short term but returns are a lot less painful.

Personally I'd stick with the Sony/JVC/Pioneer aftermarket double din units and forego the OEM styling.
Wadda14/04/2020 20:51

What model and year is car? Problem is I think you will end up having to …What model and year is car? Problem is I think you will end up having to buy a cheep Android one that looks factory then add the Chinese CarPlay add on. I can’t see the quality being great for the money

Its a Audi A3 8P facelift and that’s not the router I want to go down. I’ve seen the VW RCD330 and I think it looks and work really well. Now I just need to know if it’ll fit and work properly.
Uridium15/04/2020 09:51

I've spent years using/playing/flashing various brand Chinese Android …I've spent years using/playing/flashing various brand Chinese Android headunit's from Xtrons/Pumpkin etc...after switching to my current Pioneer sph-da230dab I wouldn't touch another Chinese Android headunit again for my main car. Slow, unreliable and always buggy. I still have one in one of my car's but I will likely replace with a Pioneer at some point.Can't vouch for Apple CarPlay on the SPH-DA230 as I only use Android auto but that runs faultlessly so I'd imagine Carplay will be the same.I paid £260 for mine as an eBay open box. Great Stereo, mine's fitted in an E-Class Merc and works with all steering controls etc but remote display of audio in the dash doesn't work with the aftermarket headunit.If you do go for a Chinese android unit just remember that although they say Quad/Octacore etc the chipset they use is low end and they are all pretty slow. Also don't buy from AliExpress etc...it WILL go wrong and you WILL need to return at some point, Amazon will charge you more in the short term but returns are a lot less painful.Personally I'd stick with the Sony/JVC/Pioneer aftermarket double din units and forego the OEM styling.

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn’t want to go for a Chinese unit as they just look unreliable and slow from the pictures. Any experience with a VW RCD330 in an Audi A3 8P?
Sprinter51515/04/2020 09:57

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn’t want to go for a Chinese unit as they j …Thanks for your reply. I wouldn’t want to go for a Chinese unit as they just look unreliable and slow from the pictures. Any experience with a VW RCD330 in an Audi A3 8P?

That unit looks to be a custom fit not standard double din. Also I think that even though both are VAG the CanBus in the cars' is different so I don't think it will be plug and play.
The CanBUS controls most aspects of these headunit's (power, illumination, gear status etc) but you maybe able to get a Fascia adaptor and CanBUS adaptor to fit the unit, going to be a lot of googling though I'm afraid.

Companies like Connects2 already make CanBUS adaptors for Audi/Merc/VW etc for connection to Sony/Pioneer/Chinese Android so the parts are off the shelf, something like a VW>Audi is not a straight swap so you will likely run into trouble getting the unit and the car talking.

An off the shelf Pioneer/Sony will be a lot less pain in the long run and trust me you soon get used to the non OEM look.

40418271-xw7nU.jpg

Above is the Pioneer in my E-Class. It literally took 10 minutes to fit, with a fascia adapter and CanBUS adaptor harness

Below is an Xtrons Chinese Android "OEM Look" in the same car, yes it looks more OEM but it was buggy as hell, slow (despite being Octacore/2Gb) and the AMP blew in months....it also cost more than the Pioneer....

Spent far more time faffing around getting it useable than ever listening to it.....it tooks weeks to get it all working correctly even with the CanBUS adaptor supplied even then I had to re-splice many of the connections and add an external 12v feed direct from the Fuse box....

I wouldn't wish the unit on my worst enemy

40418271-qaVeq.jpg
Edited by: "Uridium" 15th Apr
Vw units won’t fit in an Audi without a lot of custom fabrication work at best. They are the wrong shape. Aftermarket double din is the only real option if you want CarPlay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions