Headphones for music listening

Posted 26th Dec 2019
I've been searching off and on for some over ear headphones for music listening. I'm really not fussed about all these latest gimics that every headphone seems to have. Don't care about bluetooth, don't care about mic, don't care about wireless, don't care about noise cancellation, I don't need extra bass.

I just want some comfy, great quality headphones that I can sit and listen to my CD's (yes I still have CD's). I mainly listen to indie, rock, 60's. I have the biggest collection of Beach Boys and Nirvana albums. I already have gaming headphones which I use but I like a night to spend away from gaming to listen to my music.

Anyone recommend any headphones that would fit this need? Willing to spend up to £100.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
AKG K240 STUDIO Professional Semi-Open, Over-Ear Headphones
Under £30 at Amazon.

There's nothing bad about them and you'll still have £70 left over.
Edited by: "Erudite" 26th Dec 2019
Philips Fidelio X2HR can be had for £99.99 currently on Amazon. I bought a pair a few weeks ago and they rival some headphones I own which cost £500:

amazon.co.uk/Phi…UG/
Hmm, akg's are all time low price I see. I wonder if they will be worth a chance.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 26th Dec 2019
DistortedVision26/12/2019 10:18

Philips Fidelio X2HR can be had for £99.99 currently on Amazon. I bought a …Philips Fidelio X2HR can be had for £99.99 currently on Amazon. I bought a pair a few weeks ago and they rival some headphones I own which cost £500:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2HR-Resolution-Headphones-Isolation-Black/dp/B01N5VHLUG/

Now they look comfy!
Are you listening from a mobile device (CD Player) or hifi etc?
Edited by: "danielbaillie1995" 26th Dec 2019
Frankie7726/12/2019 10:21

Now they look comfy!

They are the most comfortable headphones I own.
Hi-fi. I don't use my mobile for anything but texting.
Frankie7726/12/2019 10:31

Hi-fi. I don't use my mobile for anything but texting.

Those Philips ones are ideal as they don't require a headphone amp. Excellent build quality too.
I really like they Philips ones. Amazon Warehouse has them for £87. I've never had any problems getting items from there. Always top quality.
If you've got a Richer sounds store in your area, get yourself down there - they have Grado SR80e's which seem to get good reviews. Take some of your music with you and demo a few pairs.

I run some AKG's and love them.
Frankie7726/12/2019 10:37

I really like they Philips ones. Amazon Warehouse has them for £87. I've …I really like they Philips ones. Amazon Warehouse has them for £87. I've never had any problems getting items from there. Always top quality.

Go for it! I'll be surprised if you're not happy with them.
Frankie7726/12/2019 10:37

I really like they Philips ones. Amazon Warehouse has them for £87. I've …I really like they Philips ones. Amazon Warehouse has them for £87. I've never had any problems getting items from there. Always top quality.

techradar.com/uk/…iew
Ok, I've gone for the Philips HR's. Being delivered tomorrow, can't wait. Thanks everyone.
Frankie7726/12/2019 11:06

Ok, I've gone for the Philips HR's. Being delivered tomorrow, can't wait. …Ok, I've gone for the Philips HR's. Being delivered tomorrow, can't wait. Thanks everyone.

Had a quick look, plenty of excellent reviews. I think you've made a great choice. Let us know what you think of them.
DistortedVision26/12/2019 10:18

Philips Fidelio X2HR can be had for £99.99 currently on Amazon. I bought a …Philips Fidelio X2HR can be had for £99.99 currently on Amazon. I bought a pair a few weeks ago and they rival some headphones I own which cost £500:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2HR-Resolution-Headphones-Isolation-Black/dp/B01N5VHLUG/

Batteries1 CR2 batteries required.
Batteries? I watched a youtube video and he played them straight out the box. I do see that on amazon now though. @DistortedVision can you confirm?
Frankie7726/12/2019 11:06

Ok, I've gone for the Philips HR's. Being delivered tomorrow, can't wait. …Ok, I've gone for the Philips HR's. Being delivered tomorrow, can't wait. Thanks everyone.

I would have suggested Creative Aurvana Live's. I have Philips X2's and think the CALs are better
Frankie7726/12/2019 11:34

Batteries? I watched a youtube video and he played them straight out the …Batteries? I watched a youtube video and he played them straight out the box. I do see that on amazon now though. @DistortedVision can you confirm?

There are no batteries, where did you get this from?
It says on the item description on Amazon - 1 x CR2 battery required. I've enquired on Amazon and everyone has basically answered saying it's false information. Just making sure.
deeky26/12/2019 13:27

[Image]

It's mistake. Watch the many YouTube unboxing videos and reviews. There are no batteries.

philips.co.uk/c-p…nes

No mention of batteries there either.
Edited by: "DistortedVision" 26th Dec 2019
DistortedVision26/12/2019 13:30

It's mistake. Watch the many YouTube unboxing videos and reviews. There …It's mistake. Watch the many YouTube unboxing videos and reviews. There are no batteries.https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/X2HR_00/fidelio-fidelio-headphonesNo mention of batteries there either.

I was just showing where he saw batteries mentioned. I don't doubt you for a second
Just a quick update. I posted this on a deal post so excuse the duplication.

Headphones are fine, top quality but the cable that came with it was faulty. It seems to have dodgy wiring, sound cuts off and on. I tried them with another headphone cable and they work fine. Amazon have been really good, they are in contact with the manufacturer to get a replacement cable. I'll update when I hear back from them. Bad time of year with closures etc.

I'm still going through my CD's. I really love how comfy these headphones are. I do have to have my volume at max so it may depend on your audio device. Sound is really defined. I was listening to a few classics and noticed a few instruments that stand out more than before. The old 60's songs don't have much more enhancement but you have to expect that with the recording ability at the time. Been going through Phil Spector's hits tonight. I wouldn't say I was blown away with the headphones but i like them. They have a clean distinction through them. I'm still analysing a lot of albums but i'm happy with them so far.
Update: 'Unfortunately this type of product are considered disposable so we do not stock or manufacture any spare parts for them here at Philips. '

I'm honestly going to just buy another headphone cable, get them for under £5. I still saved money with the headphones. I can't bothered with the return process when I can still use them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions