Headphones, which one to choose? Senniheiser, Audio Technica or AKG?

Posted 13th Dec 2019
I'll be getting a Cyrus Soundkey for Christmas and would like to replace my AKG K450's with some over ear headphones. But I can't choose between the following:

AKG 72 £26.99
Senniheiser momentum 2 £141.44
Sennheiser HD 400S £59.99
Audio Technica ATH-M50XGM £94.99

does anyone have a pair or could recommend one of them?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
What's wrong with K450?

How about AKG Y50BT? You can use it with Bluetooth or cable.
I'd always recommend Grado headphones. I had some highly recommended AKG headphones and they sounded much worse than my Grado headphones and I asked a whathifi reviewer on a forum why the Grado's weren't recommended over the AKGs and was told they hadn't received any Grado headphones to review that year in that price class. If you have a local Grado dealer nearby go and try them out. Grado don't really advertise its one of those brands you have to find yourself. Can't remember what mine are, maybe SR-60s or SR-80s. I would guess currently prices start at around £90 but you don't need to pay more than this, their entry level headphones are not compromised in anyway or didn't use to be. They can look a bit retro and cheap though.

grado.co.uk/
Grado always used to have a reputation for not being the most comfortable of headphones, with a shallow ear cup. I don't know if they've re-designed recently but they appear to be the same style and that's unlikely to be what he's looking for if he's replacing an on-ear pair.

@RunningSquid Your choices are all other the place price-wise, but certainly around the £100-120 mark all three brands are considered solid. I've got a pair of Audio Technica AD700 myself that I paid £80 for a decade ago that have been very good.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 13th Dec 2019
bonzobanana13/12/2019 11:49

I'd always recommend Grado headphones. I had some highly recommended AKG …I'd always recommend Grado headphones. I had some highly recommended AKG headphones and they sounded much worse than my Grado headphones and I asked a whathifi reviewer on a forum why the Grado's weren't recommended over the AKGs and was told they hadn't received any Grado headphones to review that year in that price class. If you have a local Grado dealer nearby go and try them out. Grado don't really advertise its one of those brands you have to find yourself. Can't remember what mine are, maybe SR-60s or SR-80s. I would guess currently prices start at around £90 but you don't need to pay more than this, their entry level headphones are not compromised in anyway or didn't use to be. They can look a bit retro and cheap though.https://www.grado.co.uk/

I don't own Grado, but I read review on Grado SR-80 saying it is not comfort if wearing long time?
Have a look at Philips Fidelio X2HR:

amazon.co.uk/gp/…LUG

Currently on offer and loads of reviews on YouTube.
Cisco06060613/12/2019 11:55

I don't own Grado, but I read review on Grado SR-80 saying it is not …I don't own Grado, but I read review on Grado SR-80 saying it is not comfort if wearing long time?

I've never found my Grado's uncomfortable and have quite a big head (6'2" male) so wouldn't have thought they were too bad. Probably the maximum length of time I have used them is maybe 3 hours. I remember trying some beat headphones instore and they were very tight on my head and the sound was terrible with too much bass. For me there is plenty of band adjustment for larger heads with the Grados.
It very much depends upon the type of music you listen too....some headphones have more base, others not so much. If you can try and listen to the type of music you like, with as many types of headphones as you can....
Cisco06060613/12/2019 11:43

What's wrong with K450?How about AKG Y50BT? You can use it with Bluetooth …What's wrong with K450?How about AKG Y50BT? You can use it with Bluetooth or cable.

Nothing is wrong with my k450's, they are great for the price.

I just wanted to upgrade to a wired over ear pair.
RunningSquid13/12/2019 13:05

Nothing is wrong with my k450's, they are great for the price.I just …Nothing is wrong with my k450's, they are great for the price.I just wanted to upgrade to a wired over ear pair.

It would help others if you state the actual budget. The examples you list are quite varied in price. Are you wanting a more neutral sound or one with more bass etc? Open or closed back? Used for home and/or travelling/commuting?

There is so much choice and personal preference involved!

I find these really comfortable with a great neutral sort of sound: Focal Listen Professional ebay.co.uk/itm…r~y £163.99
I bought a used pair for about £85. Also bought the Focal Listen display pair from RS in a clearance sale. For something like £30-£40. Hardly if any demos done on them.
Edited by: "thetarget" 15th Dec 2019
thetarget15/12/2019 14:57

It would help others if you state the actual budget. The examples you …It would help others if you state the actual budget. The examples you list are quite varied in price. Are you wanting a more neutral sound or one with more bass etc? Open or closed back? Used for home and/or travelling/commuting?There is so much choice and personal preference involved!I find these really comfortable with a great neutral sort of sound: Focal Listen Professional https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Listen-Professional/113992064105?epid=22017282317&hash=item1a8a74dc69:g:ycoAAOSwh5Zcbr~y £163.99I bought a used pair for about £85. Also bought the Focal Listen display pair from RS in a clearance sale. For something like £30-£40. Hardly if any demos done on them.

Yeah I guess that would be helpful lol.

My budget is max £150. I'm getting a Cyrus to a diverse amount music indie, hip hop, rock, electronic.

They will mainly be used for commuting, closed back will be the best. You're right, there is SO much choice and that's why I'm in this situation

I'm leaning towards the audio techinca m50x.
RunningSquid15/12/2019 17:39

Yeah I guess that would be helpful lol.My budget is max £150. I'm getting …Yeah I guess that would be helpful lol.My budget is max £150. I'm getting a Cyrus to a diverse amount music indie, hip hop, rock, electronic.They will mainly be used for commuting, closed back will be the best. You're right, there is SO much choice and that's why I'm in this situation I'm leaning towards the audio techinca m50x.

Try to listen to some in stores. Look on the head-fi forum/avforum. Try to find out what others view different headphones as for the same music styles you like. Probably best to get from somewhere which will have an easy return/exchange policy. Pay attention to build quality. The ones I linked to. It is possible to twist the headband without damaging the item.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions