Heads up Lancaster Bomber Dambusters 75th Anniversary Flyover Wed 16th May at 12:05 noon Derwent / Ladybower, Dark Peak

Found 15th MayEdited by:"whatyadoinsucka"
raf.mod.uk/dis…ur/

The Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) is scheduled to fly its Lancaster bomberdown the Derwent Valley and over the Eyebrook Reservoir on 16 May 2018 to mark the 75th anniversary of 617 Squadron’s raid on German dams (Operation Chastise).

2940288.jpg

Operation Chastise was an attack on the major dams of western Germany, carried out during the night of 16-17 May 1943 by Royal Air Force No. 617 Squadron, later called the Dambusters, using a purpose-built "bouncing bomb" developed by Sir Barnes Wallis. The dams of the Derwent Valley and Eyebrook Reservoir were amongst practice sites used in preparation for the raid.

Subject to confirmation, it is proposed that the Lancaster will fly over RAF Scampton (original home of the Dambusters’ Squadron), the Derwent Valley, the Rolls-Royce Factory at Derby (the Lancaster is powered by 4 Rolls-Royce Merlin engines) and Eyebrook Reservoir.

Further details will be released in due course, but please see derbyshire.gov.uk/bat…ght and peakdistrict.gov.uk/vis…ght for advice on traffic and other arrangements in the area.
Community Updates
Misc
11 Comments
Better checking their twitter feed tomorrow as it’s looking like the weather will cause a cancellation of the fly by which would be a real shame.

33802972.jpg
Edited by: "craigbelperbrown" 15th May
Www them once fly over york. What an honour that was. Hope they get to fly
Never tire of seeing the BBMF, but Derby is a bit of a trek. Here's PA474 "City of Lincoln" at Bournemouth a couple of years back.33803691-gvncr.jpg
Very cool.

Some more RAFness.
RAF100 Aircraft Tour
raf.mod.uk/raf…ur/
Do I go just in case I can get a video on my helmet cam?

Yesterday was glorious on my bike but I chose to visit my dad and do some shopping I then came home and I read this thread and thought WoW Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight!! Lancaster bomber!!! fly over the Derwent!!!! and up near the Snake Pass!!!!!! what an amazing magical experience

I didn't see the first post... just read it a few minutes ago 33806050-0AGC1.jpg

I can't blame Royal Air Force BBMF it's just our British weather - we (the Allied forces) had similar issues in June 1944 when finding the right weather/sea swell for the Dunkirk invasion

Do I go anyway???
When will they decide?
33806064-uLC7z.jpg
shame that, i only found out yesterday otherwise i'd have booked the day off and ridden from holmfirth over cutgate and perched above derwent for the view and then ride back.. a lovely day out, although the cutgate would be invested with walkers
whatyadoinsucka12 m ago

shame that, i only found out yesterday otherwise i'd have booked the day …shame that, i only found out yesterday otherwise i'd have booked the day off and ridden from holmfirth over cutgate and perched above derwent for the view and then ride back.. a lovely day out, although the cutgate would be invested with walkers

Jeeez you are so close to there I bet if you sneezed it would have affected the BBMF's flight
philphil611 h, 5 m ago

Jeeez you are so close to there I bet if you sneezed it would have …Jeeez you are so close to there I bet if you sneezed it would have affected the BBMF's flight

i watched a few youtbue videos earlier and i can understand why it doesnt fly in wind, its all over the place and you wonder how it actually flies its going so slow, unless the videos are in slomo
Apparently bad weather disrupted the original raid.

twitter.com/met…825
Better late than never - bbc.co.uk/new…005
They even had Johnny Johnson, 96, along for the ride!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants