Expired

**HEADS UP** New Kids Car Booster Seats BAN from Dec 2016

Found 26th Apr 2016
Looks like there are more changes to laws on child car seats / booster seats coming into effect from Dec 2016.
At the moment children can use backless booster seats when they weigh just 15kg but it seems from Dec 2016 that new rules will come into effect & backless booster seats will only be approved for use for children taller than 125cm and weighing more than 22kg
Parents who have already purchased one will not be breaking any law if they continue to use it, if they so wish, but from next year all NEW booster seats sold will only be approved for use with children OVER 125cm and 22kg.
Links in 1st Post to story & I've popped a few links to some high backed booster seats that are on offer at the mo, hope they help
Community Updates
14 Comments
Just to clarify we use backless boosters on rare occasions to fit all kids in back ( use high back most) and we are not breaking the law by continuing to use. only if it was purchased after Dec 2016? how will they know when it was bought?
leewilson338

Just to clarify we use backless boosters on rare occasions to fit all … Just to clarify we use backless boosters on rare occasions to fit all kids in back ( use high back most) and we are not breaking the law by continuing to use. only if it was purchased after Dec 2016? how will they know when it was bought?

Presumably they will start stamping them with a date code or something.
leewilson338

Just to clarify we use backless boosters on rare occasions to fit all … Just to clarify we use backless boosters on rare occasions to fit all kids in back ( use high back most) and we are not breaking the law by continuing to use. only if it was purchased after Dec 2016? how will they know when it was bought?

Looking at the news it appears the law is aimed at manufacturers and retailers, not consumers. In the same way its illegal for a minor to purchase alcohol, a lottery ticket or an 18 rated movie the minor won't be the one fined if the sale is made.

Retailers will likely have to ask how tall/how much your child weighs before they can sell it to you. Honestly though the previous guidelines meant I could put my 3yr old in a backless booster seat and it would have to be a huge emergency before I even considered that an option.
As a road safety officer in a previous job we used to turn up at pre-schools, sure start centres and primary schools to do checks on child car seats in parent's cars. You'd be amazed how many had nothing at all never mind about high backed or not. Most parents had little or no understanding of what is required and I'm sure this will do nothing to change that.
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/1/6/6/t/k/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.165z8.png/1286321397927.jpg
Your yellow poster on the FB page is misleading & wrong! It won't be illegal to have a child under 12 using a backless booster seat.
Mumofone12

Your yellow poster on the FB page is misleading & wrong! It won't be … Your yellow poster on the FB page is misleading & wrong! It won't be illegal to have a child under 12 using a backless booster seat.

It confused me actually. My 4 year old daughter is 120cm tall and 22kg. I don't think she would fit in a backed carseat at age of 12.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36153451

nothing has been decided,
New regulations for child car seats are in the pipeline, but no decisions have been made, the government has said.
It comes as consumer rights group Which said backless booster seats will only be approved for use for children taller than 125cm and weighing more than 22kg under new rules set to be introduced.
But the government said talks are ongoing and there was no date as yet.
Existing rules say that children must use a child car seat until they are 12 years old or 135cm (4ft 5ins) tall.
If approved, any changes will apply to newly sold products, not child restraint systems which are already in use and adhere to existing safety standards.
Parents who use old booster seats that comply with the existing regulations will not be breaking the law if they continue to use them after any rule change, the Department for Transport spokesman said.
They will not be required to buy new booster seats to meet any rule change, he said.
The technical specifications for child car seats are set internationally by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.
Height-based car seats, known as 'i-Size' seats, must be rear-facing until the child is over 15 months old.
A child can use a forward-facing car seat when they are over 15 months old.
Weight-based car seats must be rear-facing until the child weighs more than 9kg and after that the seat the child can use depends on their weight.
The Department for Transport works with representatives from other governments, the child restraint and vehicle manufacturing industries, and groups representing consumers on the specifications.
What is the law?
Children must use a child seat or booster
A child can use an adult belt when they reach 135cm (4ft 5ins) or their 12th birthday, whichever comes first
The driver can be fined up to £500 if a child under 14 years does not wear a seat belt or child restraint as required
Anyone 14 and over not wearing a seat belt, must pay the fine themselves
There are exceptions. For example, children can travel without a child car seat in a taxi or minicab if there is a fixed partition between the front and rear seats.
Share this story About sharing
http://www.madeformums.com/.../booster-seat.../41270.html
'check out this link'
dona3853

As a road safety officer in a previous job we used to turn up at … As a road safety officer in a previous job we used to turn up at pre-schools, sure start centres and primary schools to do checks on child car seats in parent's cars. You'd be amazed how many had nothing at all never mind about high backed or not. Most parents had little or no understanding of what is required and I'm sure this will do nothing to change that.

I always see peoples kids in the back standing up unrestrained when doing the school run. Law changes like this only apply to a fraction of people.
http://think.direct.gov.uk/education/early-years-and-primary/parents/7-to-11s/car-seats-boosters-and-seat-belts/
Just read above, if you have 3 kids and only 2 child seats can fit, third child does not need a child seat due to the car space. Am I reading this correctly?
- If two occupied child restraints prevent fitting of a third.
A child three years and over may travel unrestrained in the back seat of a vehicle if seat belts are not fitted in the rear.
The more i read, the more confused i get between current law and the rules coming into affect in december 2016. Even the gov website talks about the current law and not the new one.
At the moment my children don't use seats as one is 151cm tall, age 11 and the other is 8 years old, 139cm tall and 33kg. Will my 8 year old need a booster seat? backless or not?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants