Groups

Heads-up: PayPal Email Scam

Hey everyone - I'm pretty tech-savvy but even I NEARLY fell for this. Completely genuine looking email from "PayPal" stating that because of significant activity on my account my account has been limited until I verify my identity - no email sender address but that doesn't always mean it's not from the real company. Anyways, click through - paypal.com shows in the top and I even put my email address in before realising that it's not https. Please please please triple check that a site like those you use for banking is secure before clicking through and inputting username and password etc!

14 Comments

Or just go onto google and type in Paypal and go through it that way, if there was genuinely something up with your account i.e. limited as the email says, then when you try to login it will tell you then..

Much safer than clicking through to any link on emails, especially to do with Money.
    Edited by: "winifer" 28th Oct 2016

Original Poster

How the email looks - button clicks through to "paypal.com"

http://i.imgur.com/fpblEiJ.png

Original Poster

winifer

Or just go onto google and type in Paypal and go through it that way, if … Or just go onto google and type in Paypal and go through it that way, if there was genuinely something up with your account i.e. limited as the email says, then when you try to login it will tell you then..Much safer than clicking through to any link on emails, especially to do with Money.

I know... I guess it was one of those things that just threw me, and I figured if it threw me others should know!

Ta may seem obvious to most of us
    but no harm reminding folks

Normally the Paypal.com is actually a subdomain of another domain the scammers are using to scam with.

If you report them to their hosting service they will usually get suspended as phishing is a breach of most TOS agreements.

I get these every few weeks or others saying payment sent to xxxxx. just log into PayPal app on your phone and through pc never click links on the email

Heads up. Been happening for years

I still get these on one of my email that is not linked at all with Paypal.

It's been said many times: Unless you're 100% certain of the sender, NEVER click on any links in any emails.

And if any particular account is mentioned, just log in to the account separately in your normal manner, and check that way.

discozohan

I get these every few weeks or others saying payment sent to xxxxx. just … I get these every few weeks or others saying payment sent to xxxxx. just log into PayPal app on your phone and through pc never click links on the email

And me I get loads of those emails but just delete them after checking my Paypal account through Google.

never click any links on emails. Consider all links as fakes. If its genuine, then
    you can log in using the browser yourself.

get something like this every week. I forward them on to [email protected]paypal.com and [email protected]paypal.co.uk. I also attach a copy of the email. This gives PayPal the opportunity to look into it and shut down any links given in the email so that others don't get infected with malware from these websites or give the fraudsters their login details etc.

I had something like this 2 weeks ago. Checked my account through Paypal and everything was ok. Contacted Paypal to say I had an email that my account had been frozen. Was told it was fake and not to worry.

If there really was unusual activity you'd have had a bunch of email notifications about all those unusual payments.
    If someone had changed your account's email address you'd have had an automated email about that.
    If you'd missed that and not challenged it then any warning email would have gone to the new bogus email address so you never would have received this bogus email.
    Case dismissed.
    Edited by: "Agharta" 28th Oct 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Community Appreciation Giveaway​ (razerzone​)​11
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick99
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
      4. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88

See more discussions