[Heads Up] PSVR takes a price cut - Possible budget bundle incoming

Editor 41
Found 28th Aug 2017
Here's an image of the new bundle that Sony describe as the "core PS VR bundle moving forward."

2776473.jpg

The price in the US (where this has just been announced) is $399 (£309.76), the same price as the current RRP for the PSVR over there. So it looks now like Sony intend to bundle the PSVR and the PS camera together as their 'core PS VR bundle"

There's no word yet, at least from what I have read, regarding a UK price drop, but it's definitely something to think about if you're in the market for the Sony PSVR

There's also a price drop on the PlayStation VR Worlds bundle (which includes the PSVR headset, PS Camera, two PlayStation Move motion controllers, and a copy of PlayStation VR Worlds) that has taken a $50 price drop, also in the US.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
41 Comments

failing hardware always get quick price cuts, look how the kinect went

StevenBrown19 m ago

Failing how?

CoeK6 m ago

Failing how?

The coverage it received in E3 was mild from what I saw; the games in development for PSVR looked like something you'd receive in next weeks issue of playstation magazine back in the 90s.

BIGUSHEADUS1 m ago

The coverage it received in E3 was mild from what I saw; the games in …The coverage it received in E3 was mild from what I saw; the games in development for PSVR looked like something you'd receive in next weeks issue of playstation magazine back in the 90s.

So? It has outsold the rift and vive.

StevenBrown1 h, 6 m ago

Went on to become the biggest-selling console add-on of all time? Can it be said to be a failure just because the software support was poor?

Was the Wii a failure?

CoeK1 h, 16 m ago

Failing how?

Its a flop! About as popular as Trump at an ANTIFA meeting. Its popularity lasted about a week. Having to move one's head when playing a game is too much for most gamers let alone waving your arms about.

CoeK1 h, 9 m ago

And what's the prices and specs required to use them? The whole idea of this was to be plug and play.

CoeK1 h, 15 m ago

That's like saying Sony 3D TVs outsold a Samsung 3D TVs, if the parent company feels the tech is not being adopted by their customers they will shelve it, regardless of leading in a market. PSVR is also considerably cheaper than the two you mentioned (not to mention the space you need for Vive!) couple that with the low outlay for the PS4 compared to the systems you need to get a decent VR experience with a PC, it's no wonder it's outsold the OR and Vive.

Already mentioned in the dedicated thread:

"The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread"...
(MSK. 5 h, 3 m ago)

[ hotukdeals.com/com…047 ]

BIGUSHEADUS1 h, 48 m ago

The coverage it received in E3 was mild from what I saw; the games in …The coverage it received in E3 was mild from what I saw; the games in development for PSVR looked like something you'd receive in next weeks issue of playstation magazine back in the 90s.

Don't lie, you loved those games you'd get attached to a PlayStation magazine.

MSK.32 m ago

Don't lie, you loved those games you'd get attached to a PlayStation …Don't lie, you loved those games you'd get attached to a PlayStation magazine.

I've still got my Jumping Flash! demo somewhere, spent hours playing the that.

Not buying until they have a wireless version.

Graham19795 h, 26 m ago

And what's the prices and specs required to use them? The whole idea of …And what's the prices and specs required to use them? The whole idea of this was to be plug and play.

Well within a lot of gamers specs. Anyone willing to spend £500 for VR has probably already spent a fair bit on their PC.

BIGUSHEADUS5 h, 38 m ago

That's like saying Sony 3D TVs outsold a Samsung 3D TVs, if the parent …That's like saying Sony 3D TVs outsold a Samsung 3D TVs, if the parent company feels the tech is not being adopted by their customers they will shelve it, regardless of leading in a market. PSVR is also considerably cheaper than the two you mentioned (not to mention the space you need for Vive!) couple that with the low outlay for the PS4 compared to the systems you need to get a decent VR experience with a PC, it's no wonder it's outsold the OR and Vive.

It was cheaper and easier to get going than both the rift and vive that is true. But that was by design so in my opinion that is why it was successful.

I don't own one btw, not even a playstation, I just think that the price drop is because it is approaching a year old. The other VR options have dropped on price and there are new headsets coming out soon. I don't see any reason to believe it is because it is failing.

VR is here to stay as we have reached the point where the technology is cheap enough for the massives. It's not like before when you needed a custom amiga 3000 or a high end 486. In five years your average mobile phone will have specs high enough to perform this and this is the only good reason to use flakey wifi ad.

BIGUSHEADUS7 h, 5 m ago

I've still got my Jumping Flash! demo somewhere, spent hours playing the …I've still got my Jumping Flash! demo somewhere, spent hours playing the that.

A re-made Jumping Flash would make a great VR game

CoeK3 h, 50 m ago

It was cheaper and easier to get going than both the rift and vive that is …It was cheaper and easier to get going than both the rift and vive that is true. But that was by design so in my opinion that is why it was successful.I don't own one btw, not even a playstation, I just think that the price drop is because it is approaching a year old. The other VR options have dropped on price and there are new headsets coming out soon. I don't see any reason to believe it is because it is failing.

I'd just expect more of a push from studios to get their games supporting it than there has been especially at E3. But then again you are right about the price drop being probably down to age, that didn't even cross my mind

kester761 h, 33 m ago

VR is here to stay as we have reached the point where the technology is …VR is here to stay as we have reached the point where the technology is cheap enough for the massives. It's not like before when you needed a custom amiga 3000 or a high end 486. In five years your average mobile phone will have specs high enough to perform this and this is the only good reason to use flakey wifi ad.

Not only is it cheap enough it is actually good enough to make it worthwhile. I have tried the rift and it was so good I am now going to buy one. I just want to try a vive first before I make a final decision.

BIGUSHEADUS4 m ago

I'd just expect more of a push from studios to get their games supporting …I'd just expect more of a push from studios to get their games supporting it than there has been especially at E3. But then again you are right about the price drop being probably down to age, that didn't even cross my mind

I'm not a playstation kinda guy, Xbox and PC for me so I don't really pay attention to playstation news. I'm hoping that Microsoft are actually doing something with VR or AR, the rumour is they are but at the moment I'm just going to go for the PC options.

Oh and Steven Brown thinks VR is a fad, so I don't really put much stock in his opinion.
Edited by: "CoeK" 29th Aug 2017

Original Poster Editor

MSK.9 h, 16 m ago

Don't lie, you loved those games you'd get attached to a PlayStation …Don't lie, you loved those games you'd get attached to a PlayStation magazine.

Apologies, MSK. I genuinley didn't see it in there at the time

BuzzDuraband1 h, 47 m ago

Apologies, MSK. I genuinley didn't see it in there at the time

These things happen, it's nice to see some discussion about it anyway.

BIGUSHEADUS2 h, 6 m ago

I'd just expect more of a push from studios to get their games supporting …I'd just expect more of a push from studios to get their games supporting it than there has been especially at E3. But then again you are right about the price drop being probably down to age, that didn't even cross my mind

It depends on how you look at it. If I recall correctly, it's something like 3% of the 60-ish million PS4 users have a PlayStation VR. Whether you liked the titles or not, a third of the PlayStation games shown at E3 were VR games. Which is disproportionate. Any more than that then I think there would have been a worry of alienating traditional gamers.

I don't think it's fair to say it isn't been given time or a push.

MSK.39 m ago

These things happen, it's nice to see some discussion about it anyway.It …These things happen, it's nice to see some discussion about it anyway.It depends on how you look at it. If I recall correctly, it's something like 3% of the 60-ish million PS4 users have a PlayStation VR. Whether you liked the titles or not, a third of the PlayStation games shown at E3 were VR games. Which is disproportionate. Any more than that then I think there would have been a worry of alienating traditional gamers.I don't think it's fair to say it isn't been given time or a push.

The PS2 eyetoy had fantastic games but the ps3 just didn't grab either 3D or it's ps3 eye/move/sharpshooter. Even the amazing psp/ps3 link didn't get much from developers.
Sony vr is good enough for Sony to get a lot of support for it but the idle buggers need to start rewarding devs for utilising this technology. Like on the spectrum and the wii it doesn't matter if you have a lot of cheap tacky games with you good titles as long as you have a good sized catalogue.
Sony need to just got nuts with the arcade vr games.

kester769 m ago

The PS2 eyetoy had fantastic games but the ps3 just didn't grab either 3D …The PS2 eyetoy had fantastic games but the ps3 just didn't grab either 3D or it's ps3 eye/move/sharpshooter. Even the amazing psp/ps3 link didn't get much from developers. Sony vr is good enough for Sony to get a lot of support for it but the idle buggers need to start rewarding devs for utilising this technology. Like on the spectrum and the wii it doesn't matter if you have a lot of cheap tacky games with you good titles as long as you have a good sized catalogue.Sony need to just got nuts with the arcade vr games.

I agree, there's one EyeToy game that comes to mind which is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Developers who have been making PSVR games have been brilliant. They're forever knocking out free DLC, patches and updates. This after they have taken a such a gamble making a VR game in the first place. They really do deserve our support.

I think the catalogue will get there. It's expanding at quite a rapid rate. I'm not sure I agree with your last point, I think we need bigger titles to draw people in too. But I defintely wouldn't say no to more arcade games either

MSK.1 h, 6 m ago

These things happen, it's nice to see some discussion about it anyway.It …These things happen, it's nice to see some discussion about it anyway.It depends on how you look at it. If I recall correctly, it's something like 3% of the 60-ish million PS4 users have a PlayStation VR. Whether you liked the titles or not, a third of the PlayStation games shown at E3 were VR games. Which is disproportionate. Any more than that then I think there would have been a worry of alienating traditional gamers.I don't think it's fair to say it isn't been given time or a push.

A third of games shown is a massive amount when you put it that ~3% of ps4 owners have one. I mean comparably speaking Sony are pushing VR incredibly so to what Microsoft are doing, but I agree with you that the bigger titles will make inflate that 3%, rather than the smaller type of titles we've been getting. It just seems like VR is being treated as a R&D peripheral at the moment rather than a lasting piece of hardware, that's my only gripe...

MSK.1 h, 7 m ago

I agree, there's one EyeToy game that comes to mind which is still one of …I agree, there's one EyeToy game that comes to mind which is still one of my favorite games of all time.Developers who have been making PSVR games have been brilliant. They're forever knocking out free DLC, patches and updates. This after they have taken a such a gamble making a VR game in the first place. They really do deserve our support.I think the catalogue will get there. It's expanding at quite a rapid rate. I'm not sure I agree with your last point, I think we need bigger titles to draw people in too. But I defintely wouldn't say no to more arcade games either

I'd love to see space harrier in VR, that would be special

StevenBrown15 h, 47 m ago

True, and budget consoles outsell more expensive ones, look how well the PS4 sold.

So they are bundling what PSVR should of been in the first place

catbeans6 m ago

So they are bundling what PSVR should of been in the first place

I think that is quite a lot to do with it too.

I have to say unless game developers seriously start looking at making proper games for this it will be another bit of failed hardware.

Add it to the Dreamcast, Wii U, Vita - the list of amazing tech that sold solidly but had limited support from games publishers...

It might have sold loads of units but currently history will remember it for not having one single classic must own game.

I would say this is a positive for the PSVR, if it was being reduced in price to clear stock because of as already said 'failings' then it wouldn't be a new bundle but just a price cut...

joanddan77 h, 58 m ago

I have to say unless game developers seriously start looking at making …I have to say unless game developers seriously start looking at making proper games for this it will be another bit of failed hardware.Add it to the Dreamcast, Wii U, Vita - the list of amazing tech that sold solidly but had limited support from games publishers...It might have sold loads of units but currently history will remember it for not having one single classic must own game.

Which PSVR games have you played?

MSK.7 h, 19 m ago

Which PSVR games have you played?

Worlds, Batman and Driveclub.

Both are decent enough worlds and driveclub are decent enough. Although worlds is more of an experience than a game. Driveclub had promise but wasn't quite right not sure what wasn't right mind you. Just didn't grab me and say play me 30+ hours.

batman is more of a demo than a game.

the guy I share an office with and another guy at work were both massively excited by its launch and both bought on day one and between them pretty much have every "game" or at least have had every game and both are rather disappointed.

i think it's just a matter of time and support from developers

I think Red Dwarf has a lot to answer for

you?

Do you have an opinion on that classic must own game?

They both agreed Rigs was "ok" - I didn't count ok as classic

also not sure the relevance of me playing a game tbh. - I haven't played the Wii u and I don't need to - I know that it didn't get the support or amount of games it need and with only 4 years before being ditched it is massively disappointing. Same with dreamcast and it's history...

Sony have form too. I am a proud vita owner and love some of the games on it but there aren't enough And certainly not enough proper classics.
Edited by: "joanddan7" 30th Aug 2017

Will this one support HDR passthrough i wonder?

31853493-VAq9z.jpg

31853493-xR4DP.jpg

New bundles about to hit Europe. (Already available in some countries). Price with Move controllers is €499 (Should be around £450 here based on Sony’s previous pricing) and without Move controllers, it will be €449 (£399). Think we’ve had better deals in the past to be honest.

joanddan718 h, 36 m ago

Worlds, Batman and Driveclub. Both are decent enough worlds and driveclub …Worlds, Batman and Driveclub. Both are decent enough worlds and driveclub are decent enough. Although worlds is more of an experience than a game. Driveclub had promise but wasn't quite right not sure what wasn't right mind you. Just didn't grab me and say play me 30+ hours.batman is more of a demo than a game.the guy I share an office with and another guy at work were both massively excited by its launch and both bought on day one and between them pretty much have every "game" or at least have had every game and both are rather disappointed.i think it's just a matter of time and support from developers I think Red Dwarf has a lot to answer for you? Do you have an opinion on that classic must own game? They both agreed Rigs was "ok" - I didn't count ok as classicalso not sure the relevance of me playing a game tbh. - I haven't played the Wii u and I don't need to - I know that it didn't get the support or amount of games it need and with only 4 years before being ditched it is massively disappointing. Same with dreamcast and it's history... Sony have form too. I am a proud vita owner and love some of the games on it but there aren't enough And certainly not enough proper classics.

I haven't played VR Worlds, Batman or Driveclub. Aside from the demos.

Superhot is my current favorite. The graphics aren't much to look at, but the game play is really special. Rez is probably my all time favorite, it makes me grin like nothing else. Eagle Flight is super relaxing in a way other games aren't.

Farpoint is an experience, I think I am one of the people that will do better with the aim the a traditional controller. I'm jonesing to get my hands on Radial-G too. Skyrim is coming, we've got our first VR only PS+ title, I expect we will have a good Christmas. Especially if hardware prices come down a little.

I suppose my definition of must have might be different to yours, but I haven't been disappointed. I've definitely got more games I want to play in VR than out of it.
Edited by: "MSK." 31st Aug 2017

jayjayuk12342 h, 15 m ago

Will this one support HDR passthrough i wonder?

No, it's not a new unit. It's just bundled with a camera.

Biddy21 h, 16 m ago

[Image] [Image] New bundles about to hit Europe. (Already available in …[Image] [Image] New bundles about to hit Europe. (Already available in some countries). Price with Move controllers is €499 (Should be around £450 here based on Sony’s previous pricing) and without Move controllers, it will be €449 (£399). Think we’ve had better deals in the past to be honest.

No, that's not amazing Lets hope RRP and actual selling price are different things.

MSK.18 h, 47 m ago

No, that's not amazing Lets hope RRP and actual selling price are …No, that's not amazing Lets hope RRP and actual selling price are different things.

It looks like there could still be a chance of grabbing it cheaper. This is an advert for the move bundle in Germany.

31861533-hVhoF.jpg
If Amazon.de match that, I’m in.

Original Poster Editor

Biddy227 m ago

It looks like there could still be a chance of grabbing it cheaper. This …It looks like there could still be a chance of grabbing it cheaper. This is an advert for the move bundle in Germany.[Image] If Amazon.de match that, I’m in.

Is that the Redcoon advert?

Amazon.de have dropped the price of the unit inline with that offer, but with the Euro being so weak against the pound (or vice versa, it's late), it works out at about £299 (give or take £-5 either side) delivered

Which is all irrelivant because they've made it exclusive to Amazon Prime members.
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 31st Aug 2017

BuzzDuraband28 m ago

Is that the Redcoon advert?Amazon.de have dropped the price of the unit …Is that the Redcoon advert?Amazon.de have dropped the price of the unit inline with that offer, but with the Euro being so weak against the pound (or vice versa, it's late), it works out at about £299 (give or take £-5 either side) delivered Which is all irrelivant because they've made it exclusive to Amazon Prime members.

Not sure. Could be mediamarkt. I got it from another forum.

Looks like Amazon.de will be one step ahead of my plan then if they match that exact bundle.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions