Heads-Up / Reminder - How to avoid using PayPal's own conversion rates :{

Found 26th Sep 2017
So I just bought something on eBay from another country, but when I was in the checkout paying with PayPal it did not give me the option of using my cards own exchange rate (I'm sure it has done in the past)!
Tried contacting PayPal but too late in the evening, contacted eBay and they couldn't help me.
Googled it and found the answer I was looking for Link

In short there is a seemingly hard to find/remember page on PayPal's website where you can set whether a card uses PayPal's conversion rates, or your cards own conversion rates. Here

As I remember someone posting this on here before I wanted to share again.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
4 Comments

Good looking out.

Thanks @jco8

I use my debit card for Paypal payments. I know my Halifax Clarity credit card would always give me the best conversion rates but not sure about my debit card. Would is still generally be better than Paypal's conversion rates?

Original Poster

deeky44 m ago

I use my debit card for Paypal payments. I know my Halifax Clarity credit …I use my debit card for Paypal payments. I know my Halifax Clarity credit card would always give me the best conversion rates but not sure about my debit card. Would is still generally be better than Paypal's conversion rates?

Depends on your debit cards foreign transaction fee.
I was using my Revolut virtual Mastercard to pay.
When I tried just paying by the card in eBay checkout (goes through PayPal but don't need an account) it tried taking the amount in GBP not EUR, without indicating it would do that. So using PayPal's conversion rates without making it clear beforehand.
However I had already exchanged my Revolut top-up amount to Euro's. So the transaction failed as insufficient GBP funds.

I'm sure eBay's checkout page used to give me the option to use my cards conversion rates when paying with PayPal.

Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants