Heads up - tax credits overpayments taken back without notice, worth checking your bank?

Editor 57
Found 2nd May 2017
Few people reporting today that their tax credits have been overpaid without them knowing and today the overpayment has been recovered from their bank account without notice leaving families short of money and unable to pay for school lunches, childcare etc. Not everyone is affected so might just be worth a quick check in your bank accounts.
As soon as anymore info becomes available I will update this thread but no harm in a quick check just to be safe.

http://www.betterleeds.org.uk/sites/burleylodge.org.uk/files/tax-credits-renewal.jpg

Top comments

It saddens me that a lot of small minded people think everyone on tax credits smoke, drink, gamble and are all druggies who like nothing better than popping out kids in the morning and picking up a 60" TV from Brighthouse a few hours later. Most are hard working, low paid law abiding families.

If HMRC (or anyone else for that matter) sends you a letter saying you are going to receive £50 a week for a year how is anyone supposed to know that is - or is not the correct figure? They then take the money out of your bank without notice? They should not take the money away immediately like that, it should be taken out of the next years payments gradually as always has been the case. Hopefully this is a glitch, also hope people aren't so quick to judge.

ritchiedrama

Yet you have access to the internet (pc or phone) which are luxury items. … Yet you have access to the internet (pc or phone) which are luxury items. Hm. And what seems to be two children.

Actually, I'd suggest that phone and internet are pretty much necessities these days.

For starters, you do not know what their situation was when their children were born. You may not have noticed but the country was recently struggling with a big recession, many jobs have been lost over the last decade, and lives have changed for many people. You are suggesting that children are a luxury and anyone with them should have the means to support them - perhaps they could before, but have been a victim of the financial crisis. Regardless, that's none of your business.

As for phones, I'd say it's quite important for a parent to have access to a phone, wouldn't you? If my child falls ill at school, how are they going to reach me?

Internet - it's not all about hotukdeals and facebook. There's a wealth of learning resources available online which people can and do access to improve their employment prospects. It may well be free at a library, but that doesn't make it any more accessible to people who work full time My son's school issue his homework online - without the internet he would struggle and fall behind.

It must be quite easy to judge others without considering the full potential of their situation.

I'm fortunate enough to not rely on tax credits and other such benefits, but would never judge those that do for allowing themselves access to what some might consider luxuries in order to get through each day.
Edited by: "BeerMeister" 2nd May 2017

Leaving families without money? It was an over payment not theirs in the first place? We expecting free money now?!

I LIVE IN A CAVE PEOPLE! AND EAT GRAVEL FOR BREAKFAST.
56 Comments

Leaving families without money? It was an over payment not theirs in the first place? We expecting free money now?!

Banned

leaving families short for dinners? yet they could still afford smoking and drinking with this Over payment!
it's obvious they would take the money back

let's strike!
Edited by: "biker2011" 2nd May 2017

"Shannon...Shannon, SHANNON"
"WHAT DEAN!"
"Got a new tv with smart in it so it can help kids with homework whilst we smoke in our new inflatable hot tub"
"DEAN FFS, I WANTED TO BUY AN 'ALEXA'BOX TO TURN ON LIGHTS AND KETTLE FROM THE CORNER SOFA" - this is only a joke.
Edited by: "luke-kirk" 2nd May 2017

I thought there were laws in place that any overpayments can only claimed back via a reduction in future payments and with a maximum % reduction so that the overpaid person can still live.

It saddens me that a lot of small minded people think everyone on tax credits smoke, drink, gamble and are all druggies who like nothing better than popping out kids in the morning and picking up a 60" TV from Brighthouse a few hours later. Most are hard working, low paid law abiding families.

If HMRC (or anyone else for that matter) sends you a letter saying you are going to receive £50 a week for a year how is anyone supposed to know that is - or is not the correct figure? They then take the money out of your bank without notice? They should not take the money away immediately like that, it should be taken out of the next years payments gradually as always has been the case. Hopefully this is a glitch, also hope people aren't so quick to judge.

splatsplatsplat

It saddens me that a lot of small minded people think everyone on tax … It saddens me that a lot of small minded people think everyone on tax credits smoke, drink, gamble and are all druggies who like nothing better than popping out kids in the morning and picking up a 60" TV from Brighthouse a few hours later. Most are hard working, low paid law abiding families.If HMRC (or anyone else for that matter) sends you a letter saying you are going to receive £50 a week for a year how is anyone supposed to know that is - or is not the correct figure? They then take the money out of your bank without notice? They should not take the money away immediately like that, it should be taken out of the next years payments gradually as always has been the case. Hopefully this is a glitch, also hope people aren't so quick to judge.

I think it's brilliant.

The more stupid people are taught to hate poor people instead of rich people the better.

splatsplatsplat

It saddens me that a lot of small minded people think everyone on tax … It saddens me that a lot of small minded people think everyone on tax credits smoke, drink, gamble and are all druggies who like nothing better than popping out kids in the morning and picking up a 60" TV from Brighthouse a few hours later. Most are hard working, low paid law abiding families.If HMRC (or anyone else for that matter) sends you a letter saying you are going to receive £50 a week for a year how is anyone supposed to know that is - or is not the correct figure? They then take the money out of your bank without notice? They should not take the money away immediately like that, it should be taken out of the next years payments gradually as always has been the case. Hopefully this is a glitch, also hope people aren't so quick to judge.

I dont think your ready for the internet, It's a joke.
If HMRC were to give you £50pm but then it spikes to £150 then it's the responsibility of the individual to look into it. Plus if you have documented proof or the tax credits amd then no warning of error then you just argue your claim.

splatsplatsplat

...but if you were overpaid it wasn't yours in the first place. So for someone to say "leaving families without money" is beyond ridiculous..

This isn't to say I like our society or that I agree with this ****, but my point still stands.

We haven't had it for a year they said they had overpaid us now started giving us £5 a week we have been living off next to nothing some weeks making do and going to pay as you feel hoping there is something there to eat also late night shopping to get reduced cheap food at least the bills are paid

Sueant

We haven't had it for a year they said they had overpaid us now started … We haven't had it for a year they said they had overpaid us now started giving us £5 a week we have been living off next to nothing some weeks making do and going to pay as you feel hoping there is something there to eat also late night shopping to get reduced cheap food at least the bills are paid

I'm self employed and in business and I buy the reduced bargains at supermarkets, do you mean if you had the money you'd squander it on full price stuff? Strange way to think that buying reduced food is a hardship....far from it, it's called common sense.

they did this to me Friday for an overpayment from back in 2013.
and no I don't go out or smoke! for the snobs who clearly have decent payed jobs and look down on us little people
I actually work hard and so does my partner for what we have we just both happen to have rubbish paid jobs

nataliehardcastle1

they did this to me Friday for an overpayment from back in 2013. and no … they did this to me Friday for an overpayment from back in 2013. and no I don't go out or smoke! for the snobs who clearly have decent payed jobs and look down on us little people I actually work hard and so does my partner for what we have we just both happen to have rubbish paid jobs

Yet you have access to the internet (pc or phone) which are luxury items. Hm. And what seems to be two children.
Edited by: "ritchiedrama" 2nd May 2017

ritchiedrama

Yet you have access to the internet (pc or phone) which are luxury items. … Yet you have access to the internet (pc or phone) which are luxury items. Hm. And what seems to be two children.

Actually, I'd suggest that phone and internet are pretty much necessities these days.

For starters, you do not know what their situation was when their children were born. You may not have noticed but the country was recently struggling with a big recession, many jobs have been lost over the last decade, and lives have changed for many people. You are suggesting that children are a luxury and anyone with them should have the means to support them - perhaps they could before, but have been a victim of the financial crisis. Regardless, that's none of your business.

As for phones, I'd say it's quite important for a parent to have access to a phone, wouldn't you? If my child falls ill at school, how are they going to reach me?

Internet - it's not all about hotukdeals and facebook. There's a wealth of learning resources available online which people can and do access to improve their employment prospects. It may well be free at a library, but that doesn't make it any more accessible to people who work full time My son's school issue his homework online - without the internet he would struggle and fall behind.

It must be quite easy to judge others without considering the full potential of their situation.

I'm fortunate enough to not rely on tax credits and other such benefits, but would never judge those that do for allowing themselves access to what some might consider luxuries in order to get through each day.
Edited by: "BeerMeister" 2nd May 2017

They have dropped my payments by half because my husband stopped claiming 5 years before I met him and they now say it's an overpayment he might as well of kept claiming

miikeyblue

Actually, I'd suggest that phone and internet are pretty much necessities … Actually, I'd suggest that phone and internet are pretty much necessities these days. For starters, you do not know what their situation was when their children were born. You may not have noticed but the country was recently struggling with a big recession, many jobs have been lost over the last decade, and lives have changed for many people. You are suggesting that children are a luxury and anyone with them should have the means to support them - perhaps they could before, but have been a victim of the financial crisis. Regardless, that's none of your business.As for phones, I'd say it's quite important for a parent to have access to a phone, wouldn't you? If my child falls ill at school, how are they going to reach me?Internet - it's not all about hotukdeals and facebook. There's a wealth of learning resources available online. My son's school issue his homework online - without the internet he would struggle and fall behind.It must be quite easy to judge others without considering the full potential of their situation.I'm fortunate enough to not rely on tax credits and other such benefits, but would never judge those that do for allowing themselves access to what some might consider luxuries in order to get through each day.

I'm not "judging" anyone, although I reserve my right to judge someone. But you can suggest the internet and phone are necessities all you want, but if you're really struggling, to eat, etc then you do not need these things.

If you read my previous post, I said that I don't agree with society in general, the government etc. I realise times are tough for people, too, but perhaps not reproducing for many is a good idea overall regardless of financial position.

That being said, everyone can always do more in their life, to make it better, period. This includes me and everyone else here.

raptorcigs

LUXURY.

ritchiedrama

I'm not "judging" anyone, although I reserve my right to judge someone. … I'm not "judging" anyone, although I reserve my right to judge someone. But you can suggest the internet and phone are necessities all you want, but if you're really struggling, to eat, etc then you do not need these things. If you read my previous post, I said that I don't agree with society in general, the government etc. I realise times are tough for people, too, but perhaps not reproducing for many is a good idea overall regardless of financial position. That being said, everyone can always do more in their life, to make it better, period. This includes me and everyone else here.

I know someone who had to claim universal credit recently, she had to do 7 hours jobsearch a day, including online, or she would be sanctioned and lose all her benefits. If she didn't have internet access then it would have meant a trip to the library or jobcentre which are both well over over an hours walk away, or £4 a day in bus fares (or £14 a week bus pass). Even the cheaper option of £14 a week is MUCH more expensive than paying for internet at home. So maybe the internet and phone aren't necessities but they can work out cheaper than other options, which are necessities.

julieallen

I know someone who had to claim universal credit recently, she had to do … I know someone who had to claim universal credit recently, she had to do 7 hours jobsearch a day, including online, or she would be sanctioned and lose all her benefits. If she didn't have internet access then it would have meant a trip to the library or jobcentre which are both well over over an hours walk away, or £4 a day in bus fares (or £14 a week bus pass). Even the cheaper option of £14 a week is MUCH more expensive than paying for internet at home. So maybe the internet and phone aren't necessities but they can work out cheaper than other options, which are necessities.

You can't take one outlier and act as if it applies to everyone. There will always be some with extreme circumstances, and I haven't said anyone should or shouldn't be doing anything -- this topic is about people being given too much money than they were supposed to and then the OP saying leaving people without money, when it wasn't theirs in the first place.

Tax credits are a life line for me and my family as it ables me to work. If i didn't receive them i wouldn't be able to pay for the childcare i need so i can work. I've not got anything out of the ordinary and we scrape by month to month. We don't drink, smoke or have any type of luxuries other than a car, which we were lucky enough to inherit.

I received an overpayment last tax year which was an extra £20 a week. I continally checked my details were correct however it was still wrong due to a mistake at the tax credit end. (which im still appealing). This meant that my payments were then stopped for two months leaving me to not pay childcare resulting me in borrowing money which im still paying off all in order to work. So when people presume all overpayments is going on brand new tvs, cigarettes etc it is infuritating.

I still check if i've been overpaid, but like before it may not get me anywhere.

How are they able to take money from your bank account?
I got a small payment into mine today. It's not my normal day for payments... Worried now...

The bottom line is that process for repayment of overpayments is complicated, ever-changing and beyond many people's understanding who can find themselves in the position of receiving an overpayment through no fault of their own.

Take a look here

raptorcigs

If you lick the gravel instead of eating it, you'll get all the nutrients without the bowel obstructions.
Free life hack for the day.

Edited by: "TheNoid" 2nd May 2017

I'm a working single parent and get tax credits and mine where cut this week making me struggle if I was over paid then they can have it back but would be nice to be warned first, like others I have work and have since I was 14 years old and the little bit of tax credits that I get just help a little towards paying full rent and council tax, I DONT drink, DONT smoke, DONT touch drugs, don't even go out these days as can't afford to

raptorcigs

Posh! I only get to lick the cave walls for food.

lf the national 'living wage' was a realistic amount then people wouldnt need to claim tax credits to afford to live!
Edited by: "nataliedonnelly" 2nd May 2017

Wish i had seen this coming,would have stocked up when the Stella was on 3 for £20. (_;)
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 2nd May 2017

Banned

I don't drink, smoke, take drugs, go out, eat out ,go to Salon or meet friends.
don't think you should if you have kids,all the money counts towards them .

most people commenting are going out of context, because the original comment was about people being overpaid and parents couldn't afford dinners and what have you

nataliedonnelly

lf the national 'living wage' was a realistic amount then people wouldnt … lf the national 'living wage' was a realistic amount then people wouldnt need to claim tax credits to afford to live!

Yes that's the deal. Large corporations in effect having their wage bills subsidised by all and sundry. If people were unable to claim 'in work benefits' something would have to give. My guess is shareholder dividends and fat cat salaries would be a good starting point. You might actual find the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker might be able to compete with the greedy high street giants that seem to require a branch every 1/4 mile in some instances.

I ended up with a huge overpayment and it was all hmrcs fault! I was claiming both child and working tax, when my employment came to an end I started receiving JSA but when I requested the working tax be cancelled I was told it wasn't as simple as pressing a button and would take a while, I wasn't able to claim full jsa as took the working tax as income so only gave me a small amount of jsa, this went on for months, I even had my local council phone and they still said it couldn't just be cancelled as concentrix took it over (their investigation team) finally after calling them it was cancelled, I now owed all the working tax back, I couldn't not spend it as I wasn't receiving full jsa, jsa was meant to be paying me the full amount but refused to pay back the overpayment, even though I was entitled to it via them the whole time, I got £60 a week took off me until it was fully paid. Now they've stopped my claim again with no warning and made me reapply, it's very frustrating.

I'd love to know why the mods removed my comments...

I got a second payment today (got paid early on Friday due to bank holiday but got a second payment today). I talked to someone on their web chat and they said it was due to the system recalculating entitlement for the year 2017/2018 which can sometimes create an additional payment.

Apparently the payment is not wrong and I'll continue to get paid as normal from next week. Weird. But I'm not complaining.

amygreen79677

I got a second payment today (got paid early on Friday due to bank … I got a second payment today (got paid early on Friday due to bank holiday but got a second payment today). I talked to someone on their web chat and they said it was due to the system recalculating entitlement for the year 2017/2018 which can sometimes create an additional payment.Apparently the payment is not wrong and I'll continue to get paid as normal from next week. Weird. But I'm not complaining.

Just checked my bank and that seems like that has happened to me to I've had a payment last week and one today both together makes my weekly amount I usually get.

They have done this to me. I reported a change in my circumstances in January. My money hadnt changed so I called again in February to ask why and got told everything was ok. Low and behold they are taking £40 a week of me.

disney.queen

Just checked my bank and that seems like that has happened to me to I've … Just checked my bank and that seems like that has happened to me to I've had a payment last week and one today both together makes my weekly amount I usually get.

I get £98.56 pw working tax credit paid every Monday. I got that early last Friday but today got a payment for £95.30. Apparently from next week ill only get £91.50 pw. Weird.

ritchiedrama

I'm not "judging" anyone, although I reserve my right to judge someone. … I'm not "judging" anyone, although I reserve my right to judge someone. But you can suggest the internet and phone are necessities all you want, but if you're really struggling, to eat, etc then you do not need these things. If you read my previous post, I said that I don't agree with society in general, the government etc. I realise times are tough for people, too, but perhaps not reproducing for many is a good idea overall regardless of financial position. That being said, everyone can always do more in their life, to make it better, period. This includes me and everyone else here.

Hmm so don't have phone and internet so you can't get JSA and housing benefit as you need to login twice a week to claim JSA and be available for work, not having a means of constant contact is making yourself​ unavailable for work and thus not eligible for JSA, you don't get housing benefit unless you are are claiming some kind of social security payments or working in a low paid job.

You need internet to claim JSA and housing benefit anyway, its all online. At least where i live and council tax is all online account access too, nether housing benefit or council tax have phone numbers or a office to visit anymore, in my case its a online enquiry form, in the case of the housing benefit the council office still has a extension number for them if you use one of the 6 internal phones they have at the office but thats it and that'll probably be done away with eventually they only shutdown the helpline for that one in January this year so its still in transition.

julieallen

I know someone who had to claim universal credit recently, she had to do … I know someone who had to claim universal credit recently, she had to do 7 hours jobsearch a day, including online, or she would be sanctioned and lose all her benefits. If she didn't have internet access then it would have meant a trip to the library or jobcentre which are both well over over an hours walk away, or £4 a day in bus fares (or £14 a week bus pass). Even the cheaper option of £14 a week is MUCH more expensive than paying for internet at home. So maybe the internet and phone aren't necessities but they can work out cheaper than other options, which are necessities.

Her JCP has internet access oO lucky her and the same for having a library too, my old library is a virgin active gym now X)

I haven't got a clue what my tax credits are, they seem to go up and down like a yoyo, I've had over £500 a month and under £200 a month, I've been paid 3 times in 1 week amounts as little as 30 quid plus some​ random amount of pennies. Its Impossible to know if I'm paid the right amount or not I'm just happy to be getting something, i have savings and i hopefully always will, you can't trust anything, if i had to live off beans for six months to save some i would, I don't understand how people can sleep at night living hand to mouth, if theres any opportunity to get something in the savings I'd take it because you just can't trust anything in life.

Error440

I haven't got a clue what my tax credits are, they seem to go up and down … I haven't got a clue what my tax credits are, they seem to go up and down like a yoyo, I've had over £500 a month and under £200 a month, I've been paid 3 times in 1 week amounts as little as 30 quid plus some random amount of pennies. Its Impossible to know if I'm paid the right amount or not I'm just happy to be getting something, i have savings and i hopefully always will, you can't trust anything, if i had to live off beans for six months to save some i would, I don't understand how people can sleep at night living hand to mouth, if theres any opportunity to get something in the savings I'd take it because you just can't trust anything in life.

It's called having a job! If you have done an honest days work you sleep fine at night...

Error440

you don't get housing benefit unless you are are claiming some kind of … you don't get housing benefit unless you are are claiming some kind of social security payments or working in a low paid job.

Not having a recognised source of income is not a bar to claiming Housing Benefit. Your LA may make you jump through slightly more hoops, but that's to be expected if they can't easily verify your income.
General practice would be a signed 'nil income' statement and a minimum eight weeks bank statements.

Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 2nd May 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants