Headsets in Co Op

Posted 19th Feb 2019
Just curious, why do all the staff (or nearly all) in Co Op Food stores wear chat headsets? What is the purpose?

Nothing wrong with it and I'm not complaining, but you don't see staff in Tesco, Asda etc wear them.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Lidl use them as well, it's to facilitate better communication & efficency when covering multiple jobs.
IamMT4 m ago

Lidl use them as well, it's to facilitate better communication & efficency …Lidl use them as well, it's to facilitate better communication & efficency when covering multiple jobs.

I didn't know that - can't remember if Aldi use them even though I went quite recently (about a week ago).

Thanks by the way, now I know what they're for 😁
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 19th Feb 2019
Its so less experienced members of staff dont have to go looking for someone to ask.. they just repeat overheadset..saved embarrassment and time.. helps everyone i suppose and also alerts to difficult customers.. whole host of reasons really that can help both customers and staff
I keep seeing people with headsets on but when I ask the Mrs she says they aren't there.
I imagine they become indispensable rather quickly, I used to hate walking the length of tesco to speak to a colleague when I worked there years ago.
Probably just less need for it in the likes of Asda, Morrisons etc where there's loads of staff floating around all over the place. Places like Lidl hardly have anyone on the floor in comparison so likely need the leg up the headsets give.
I work for the Co-op, in one of their busiest stores in Swansea.

We brought them in a few months ago to allow us to communicate with each other more easily. They're useful for things like asking a colleague to bring products out on to the shop floor from the warehouse, asking a colleague to provide help for a customer when we're tied up, and for security reasons too, like when we see someone acting suspiciously - we can covertly alert each other (particularly management in the office) so we can keep a close eye on them. They're also helpful for when we have trouble with the tills - instead of ringing a bell (which we used to do), we can discuss the issue with management and they can decide on the correct course of action, whether it be to provide verbal help over the headset or to come down to resolve the issue.

Lidl, Aldi and Tesco stores near me also have them. Lidl and Aldi use a different type of headset where they're an in-ear wired type similar to what security guards wear. These are wired to a receiver usually kept on the staff member's belt. We, and Tesco, use Vocovo headsets which are the on-ear type and are held on by a metal bar over our heads. The receiver is built-in to the headset.
Edited by: "preecey" 19th Feb 2019
And to add to my last comment:

I also used to work for Asda. When I was there, every till had a speakerphone built-in, so if we needed help we could just press a call button which rang the nearby supervisor's Gigaset DECT cordless handset.
vcd1man19/02/2019 13:50

Its so less experienced members of staff dont have to go looking for …Its so less experienced members of staff dont have to go looking for someone to ask.. they just repeat overheadset..saved embarrassment and time.. helps everyone i suppose and also alerts to difficult customers.. whole host of reasons really that can help both customers and staff

We all have to wear them - CTMs and management. Doesn't matter if you're less experienced or not. These headsets are part of the uniform now and if you see someone in any Co-op store which is owned by the Central Co-op Group (headsets may not be mandatory for independent societies), who is not wearing a headset then it's because they've forgotten to put it on or can't wear one for health reasons.
preecey19/02/2019 17:08

I work for the Co-op, in one of their busiest stores in Swansea.We brought …I work for the Co-op, in one of their busiest stores in Swansea.We brought them in a few months ago to allow us to communicate with each other more easily. They're useful for things like asking a colleague to bring products out on to the shop floor from the warehouse, asking a colleague to provide help for a customer when we're tied up, and for security reasons too, like when we see someone acting suspiciously - we can covertly alert each other (particularly management in the office) so we can keep a close eye on them. They're also helpful for when we have trouble with the tills - instead of ringing a bell (which we used to do), we can discuss the issue with management and they can decide on the correct course of action, whether it be to provide verbal help over the headset or to come down to resolve the issue. Lidl, Aldi and Tesco stores near me also have them. Lidl and Aldi use a different type of headset where they're an in-ear wired type similar to what security guards wear. These are wired to a receiver usually kept on the staff member's belt. We, and Tesco, use Vocovo headsets which are the on-ear type and are held on by a metal bar over our heads.

Thanks, glad I have a better understanding now from someone who works at a Co Op store.

Do you reckon all Tesco stores will get headsets eventually? None of my local Tesco stores have them (unless they're small on-ear ones which I haven't noticed)
preecey19/02/2019 17:13

We all have to wear them - CTMs and management. Doesn't matter if you're …We all have to wear them - CTMs and management. Doesn't matter if you're less experienced or not. These headsets are part of the uniform now and if you see someone in any Co-op store which is owned by the Central Co-op Group (headsets may not be mandatory for independent societies), who is not wearing a headset then it's because they've forgotten to put it on or can't wear one for health reasons.

Out of interest... what would the health reasons be?
andrewworrall16 m ago

Thanks, glad I have a better understanding now from someone who works at a …Thanks, glad I have a better understanding now from someone who works at a Co Op store.Do you reckon all Tesco stores will get headsets eventually? None of my local Tesco stores have them (unless they're small on-ear ones which I haven't noticed)

Not sure about Tesco's situation I'm afraid. I will say though that I have observed that not all staff at my nearby Tesco stores wear them - it seems to be only the checkout runners/supervisors and some other staff who do, like those working in the kiosk and Customer Service Desks. Have never seen produce replenishment staff, bakery/butchery staff or Tesco Mobile staff wearing them.
andrewworrall125 m ago

Out of interest... what would the health reasons be?

I don't know, everyone at my store wears them. But I suppose there will be a couple of people dotted around the country who probably would downright refuse to wear them citing the radiation perhaps leading to headaches etc.

When they were brought in we were thoroughly briefed on their safety and were assured they had undergone strict testing to ensure prolonged use of them doesn't have any effect on our health.

I have never had a headache while, or after, using them and none of my colleagues have said they have had one either.
Edited by: "preecey" 19th Feb 2019
deleted1080215
Here's a Borg

37096283-MzZ2i.jpg And here's a scary Borg

37096283-AWvmx.jpg
I currently work for coop but found they are very useful but cause myself migraines and other staff headaches
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants