Headteacher sends home pupils who refuse to stand up when he enters classroom

Found 21st Oct 2009
A new headmaster has sparked a 'respect' row by excluding pupils who refuse to stand up when he enters a classroom.
Kevin Harrison, 55, believes children should immediately rise when he comes into a room because it helps increase 'pride and educational standards'.
But when he introduced the rule at the 900-pupil Macclesfield High School in Cheshire after taking over earlier this month, he was accused of being 'ridiculous' and 'heavy-handed'.

The father of one 15-year-old boy sent home for disobeying Mr Harrison claimed the headmaster needed to 'earn respect' before children should stand up for him.
Tim Walton, 40, added that his son Daniel, who is in Year Ten, was 'entirely justified' to remain seated when Mr Harrison joined his class.
The father-of-three said: 'I teach my kids the laws of society and that is respect is earned.
"The headteacher hasn't been there long enough to earn my son's respect so why should he stand up for him?
'They have brought in these new rules which I think are ridiculous, and they haven't told any of the parents about them.'
He went on: 'They are also saying that girls can't wear make-up. What has make-up got to do with their brains? If they expect girls to go in without make-up then they should ask the staff to as well.

'I've had enough of my kids being punished because of these so-called rules which have nothing to do with their education
Mr Harrison joined the school - whose motto is 'Motivated, Happy and Successful Learners' - after the previous headmaster retired due to a long-standing neurological condition.
It is believed the standing-up rule was dropped two years ago. But Mr Harrison, a teacher for 34 years who had been deputy head at a nearby school, revived it.

He said pupils are asked to stand so they can be 'praised for high standards of appearance to improve personal pride and expectations'.
Mr Harrison, a father-of-two whose wife is also a headteacher, added: 'Rules are about raising standards across the board and having high expectations.

'We want our students to be highly motivated and able to use their initiative, so that they can be confident, resourceful and successful in many different ways. Our aims are to promote high aspiration and high academic achievement.

'We want students to take pride in their work, in the school and in the community. We can't have children refusing to do what a member of staff is asking them to do.

'This student continually refused to listen and abide by the rules, comply with our requests and behave in a respectful way. He has been excluded from school until Friday for refusing to comply with school rules.'
Nick Seaton, from the Campaign for Real Education, said: 'I would say that most parents would think the headteacher is absolutely right.

'Youngsters and pupils have got to respect their teachers otherwise the whole system falls apart.

'It's vital that adults, both teachers and parents and other responsible adults, regain their authority from children, a lot of whom seem to think they can do what they like.

'As for the youngster who failed to obey the rules, if he doesn't like the school he should go somewhere else. He shouldn't think he can do as he pleases. That makes a nonsense of the system.

'The respect is for the position of the headteacher, more than the individual. The headteacher, by achieving that position, has been handed that respect.

'Teachers and pupils are not exactly equals and it's nonsense to think they are. Pupils aren't full adults yet, they have to learn to follow the norms of society.'

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
106 Comments

Kids have no respect for their elders nowadays. Didn't harm us standing for our teachers and attending assemblies

Original Poster

i think the headteacher was spot on, we had to do it when i was at school & I'd expect my kids to do the same.

we used to do it and should still do

choc1969;6646170

Kids have no respect for their elders nowadays. Didn't harm us standing … Kids have no respect for their elders nowadays. Didn't harm us standing for our teachers and attending assemblies

Quite, didn't hurt me to do it (having left 6th form only a few years ago).
If the parents are instilling some kind of "he's got to do something for you to earn his respect" attitude, then I only have sympathy with the children.

But then, I don't read the daily mail.. so what would I know! :whistling:

Banned

It is believed the standing-up rule was dropped two years ago. But Mr Harrison, a teacher for 34 years who had been deputy head at a nearby school, revived it.

So the parent had no problem sending his kid to a school that probably had this rule when he started, but apparently objects now?

[COLOR="Blue"]kudos headmaster[/COLOR]

choc1969;6646170

Kids have no respect for their elders nowadays. Didn't harm us standing … Kids have no respect for their elders nowadays. Didn't harm us standing for our teachers and attending assemblies

Every kid?

When I was under 18 (and still now) i'd say 'please' and 'thank you' to anyone helping me/doing me a favour.

I'd hold a door open for someone, i'd help someone with something, if someone dropped something in the street i'd help them pick it up.

It's people like you who run the kids down:x, and people wonder why kids are cheeky? :roll:

Banned

choc1969;6646170

totally agree, although not all kids but i would say a big part

t0mm;6646226

Every kid?When I was under 18 (and still now) i'd say 'please' and 'thank … Every kid?When I was under 18 (and still now) i'd say 'please' and 'thank you' to anyone helping me/doing me a favour.I'd hold a door open for someone, i'd help someone with something, if someone dropped something in the street i'd help them pick it up.It's people like you who run the kids down:x, and people wonder why kids are cheeky? :roll:

There you go again, blasted kids :roll:

choc1969;6646239

There you go again, blasted kids :roll:

remind me never to do you a favour.

[COLOR="Red"]When ever I walk into a room at school everyone always stands up out of respect.

I never had to ask anyone to do so. I earned the respect.[/COLOR]

Absolutely agree with tom, too many stereotypical people around these days.

FilthAndFurry;6646210

It is believed the standing-up rule was dropped two years ago. But Mr … It is believed the standing-up rule was dropped two years ago. But Mr Harrison, a teacher for 34 years who had been deputy head at a nearby school, revived it.So the parent had no problem sending his kid to a school that probably had this rule when he started, but apparently objects now?

the parent said respect should be earnt a rightly so

Id like to think that by year ten so 14/15 teens are old enough to work out for themselves who they respect.

Society has changed, and schools need to reflect this, why should they stand? There is only two major examples i can think this still happens widely: Courts & Services (Army, Navy)
And that is because the courts are still very traditionally based, and arent as adapting to society as obviously society itself. Similarly to the army and navy they are very traditionally based and havent changed over time, because it works and not just respect for seniors but the need for remembering hierarchy in the army/navy is required.

Furthermore, how do you actual define respect by standing up for a teacher? I just dont think it really reflects our society.

EDIT: However sending the kid home isnt going to help matters is it? Its just hindering the kids education...seems a bit backward to me.

t0mm;6646256

remind me never to do you a favour.

right back at ya

richp;6646185

really ?

I went to a private school. We called our teachers by their first names and chilled out at the pub with them on lunchtimes. The school is still there and still has exceptionally high pass rates. They *guaranteed* at least 6 GCSEs at A-C grades for every student they accepted. However you did have to pass entrance exams, personality profiling etc to be admitted.

You wouldn't catch me standing up for anyone... but then I'm anti-authoritarian anyway

If someone wants my respect then they get it by being honest and trustworthy.

agree with the teacher and I would also bring back corporal punishment,shame the pc brigade would go off on one

Banned

Chidda;6646270

the parent said respect should be earnt a rightly so

He was Headteacher - you respect the position.

choc1969;6646170

reading that article is quite plain to see why some kids have no respect.(its an insult to the vast vast majority of kids to tar them all with the same brush).

dont see a problem with this at all. Although TBH most of the kids round here are well mannered and respectful of adults anyway.

Those day's are gone :thinking:

renown;6646305

Those day's are gone :thinking:

what days?

bitseylango;6646342

what days?

The old day's with the old way's it just aint gonna happen know :thinking:

renown;6646379

doesnt mean we should give up on trying though :thumbsup:

Haribo;6646383

I totally agree

[COLOR="Red"]^^MULTI ID!!!^^[/COLOR]

renown;6646379

I don't know anyone whos 30+ Who had to stand for a teacher?:roll:

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;6646273

Id like to think that by year ten so 14/15 teens are old enough to work … Id like to think that by year ten so 14/15 teens are old enough to work out for themselves who they respect.Society has changed, and schools need to reflect this, why should they stand? There is only two major examples i can think this still happens widely: Courts & Services (Army, Navy)And that is because the courts are still very traditionally based, and arent as adapting to society as obviously society itself. Similarly to the army and navy they are very traditionally based and havent changed over time, because it works and not just respect for seniors but the need for remembering hierarchy in the army/navy is required..

you say about the army & navy ect where people stand when say an officer enters the room, what would happen if these children that dont stand when a head teacher enters the room, decide to join one of the forces, then they will have to stand, so why not start the respect at a younger age.

[QUOTE=t0mm;6646226]Every kid?

When I was under 18 (and still now) i'd say 'please' and 'thank you' to anyone helping me/doing me a favour.

I'd hold a door open for someone, i'd help someone with something, if someone dropped something in the street i'd help them pick it up.

[QUOTE]

+1 i am the same

t0mm;6646394

errrrrm we used to when the head walked in the room :oops:

Why should they stand though? its not as if he is doing his job out of niceness he gets paid for the job and standing when he enters sounds like a way to disipline kids in the wrong ways.

I dont think its as basic as earning respect but it becomes redundant, I would stand at assembly when asked because thats formal.

Would all empolyees of any workplace stand if the boss entered? It causes a lot of disruption imo.

bitseylango;6646447

I apologise Bitsey:friends:
other kids them days must have had no respect at all:roll::w00t: (Not directed @ you)

t0mm;6646394

we always did

richp;6646420

you say about the army & navy ect where people stand when say an officer … you say about the army & navy ect where people stand when say an officer enters the room, what would happen if these children that dont stand when a head teacher enters the room, decide to join one of the forces, then they will have to stand, so why not start the respect at a younger age.

because that what you have training for, and no one goes into the army/navy without being aware of how things work.
To go into the forces you've got to seriously believe in the system and also believe that your superiors have earned your respect by means of already being in the forces and working their way up.

Whereas in school kids dont have the choice its mandatory, and lots of teachers havent done that much work to get where they are...i remember our physics teacher telling us...he was 24 and use to go to gigs with us etc!:thumbsup: Now him we did respect...but we still wouldnt have stood up for him!

[QUOTE=micoo;6646425][QUOTE=t0mm;6646226]Every kid?

+1 i am the same

Micoo has any one ever dropped the soap in front of you in the shower ? if so would you pick it up ? :w00t:

Banned

he is the head of a school, dont see why anyone has issues with his ideas, i know the things my daughter comes out with are shocking, these teachers come down to the childrens levels and not the children trying to reach their teachers levels, if the children are told to stand then they should stand, if parents have issues with this then a meeting at the school should be done, not encourage your children to do as they like

ryouga;6646452

Why should they stand though? its not as if he is doing his job out of … Why should they stand though? its not as if he is doing his job out of niceness he gets paid for the job and standing when he enters sounds like a way to disipline kids in the wrong ways.I dont think its as basic as earning respect but it becomes redundant, I would stand at assembly when asked because thats formal.Would all empolyees of any workplace stand if the boss entered? It causes a lot of disruption imo.

imagine it in an open office! :w00t:

I think this sort of thing is big in Japan :thinking:

bitseylango;6646447

ditto :roll: it was'nt a big deal " I get my workers to sing a song to me when where at work " it keeps up moral

Original Poster

when i go to the kids schools for parents teachers evenings, the teachers are sat down when we go to meet them but stand up when we approach them & vise versa i stand up when a teacher/head approaches me. Its respect & common courtesy.

t0mm;6646473

I apologise Bitsey:friends:other kids them days must have had no respect … I apologise Bitsey:friends:other kids them days must have had no respect at all:roll::w00t: (Not directed @ you)

Im well over 30+ Tom, I learned to write on slates, I scratched letters on them with sharpened pieces of slate :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Virgin broadband/phone710
    2. Compensation from an 02 refresh default11
    3. Best current IPHONE 8 monthly contract for heavy data usage?11
    4. Laptop for <£200 - Chinese laptop or black friday deal?46

See more discussions