Groups

Health / Activity Watch

Hi all.
    I'm after a health / activity tracking watch.
    I've narrowed my searches to the following:
    Microsoft Band 2
    Fitbit Surge
    Garmin Vivosmart HR+

Has anyone got any experience in these devices or can offer any advice on which is best?

All the above do what I want.
    The Microsoft design and features appeal, but isn't waterproof and the battery life isn't as good.
    Fitbit appeals with its functions, but the design / chunkyness doesn't.
    The Garmin seems to be well thought of but seems quite pricey and its accuracy is in question.
    Any thoughts appreciated and experiences of owning them.

Thanks in advance.

14 Comments

what is health/activity tracking.
    I have a rough clue but could you elaborate as to what you want exactly.
    pedometer, calorie counter, avg distance/miles etc.

Original Poster

Basically, I'm after one for monitoring sleep, measuring runs, bike rides. I'm after GPS and a heart rate monitor. Will use it to track my heart beat at the gym, ideally would like some type of calorie tracker incorporated (probably through an app) and notifications from my phone for calls / texts etc.

Fitbit charge HR

The surge is too big imo if you want to wear a top with long sleeves.

ktm666

Basically, I'm after one for monitoring sleep, measuring runs, bike … Basically, I'm after one for monitoring sleep, measuring runs, bike rides. I'm after GPS and a heart rate monitor. Will use it to track my heart beat at the gym, ideally would like some type of calorie tracker incorporated (probably through an app) and notifications from my phone for calls / texts etc.

The fitbit app is fantastic and does the things you're after with a very simple user interface.

Check out first gen Moto 360 watch at John Lewis for £99. A bargain, and it will do all you want when paired with an Android phone.
    Edited by: "hottoast" 3rd Aug 2016

Original Poster

sickly sweet

Fitbit charge HRThe surge is too big imo if you want to wear a top with … Fitbit charge HRThe surge is too big imo if you want to wear a top with long sleeves.

I like the look of it but unless I'm wrong, it's not got GPS

Original Poster

hottoast

Check out first gen Moto 360 watch at John Lewis for £99. A bargain, and … Check out first gen Moto 360 watch at John Lewis for £99. A bargain, and it will do all you want when paired with an Android phone.

Thanks for this - what about if paired to an iPhone? Will it retain all its functions?

Have you tried the TomTom runner 2 as another option with all for what you're asking.

Surge is the best.

ktm666

Basically, I'm after one for monitoring sleep, measuring runs, bike … Basically, I'm after one for monitoring sleep, measuring runs, bike rides. I'm after GPS and a heart rate monitor. Will use it to track my heart beat at the gym, ideally would like some type of calorie tracker incorporated (probably through an app) and notifications from my phone for calls / texts etc.

Heart rate does not translate into much info.
    All it will tell you is how fast is your heart beating. It will not tell you what MET (metabolic equivalent) it translates to. Heart rate depends on variety of factors including stress, hydration etc. Heart rate can also be measured using your phone camera with same precision so having it on a watch and paying extra is a bit naff IMO.
    Same goes with GPS. If you have Google maps and location tracking it will do exactly the same thing. Nike app will do exactly the same... I in fact many activity tracking apps will do just that with your phone.

I personally use withings pop. 8 months battery life. Step, sleep, activity tracking. Looks smart and casual.

There is little evidence suggesting that activity trackers are of any benefit and how accurate they are (in terms of calorie counting and steps made) It all depends on a person (again METs).
    As long as you get the step count and you try to beat your previous record that's what's important. After all they are to promote healthy lifestyle.. I increasing your activity is just that

why can i not edit using an app?
    Edited by: "mattsk" 3rd Aug 2016

Original Poster

dorset_taco

Have you tried the TomTom runner 2 as another option with all for what … Have you tried the TomTom runner 2 as another option with all for what you're asking.

Thanks - I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow, I've not considered it. Did notice though as soon as I added the HR monitor it put it at a higher price that the three I've been looking at.

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

Heart rate does not translate into much info. All it will tell you is how … Heart rate does not translate into much info. All it will tell you is how fast is your heart beating. It will not tell you what MET (metabolic equivalent) it translates to. Heart rate depends on variety of factors including stress, hydration etc. Heart rate can also be measured using your phone camera with same precision so having it on a watch and paying extra is a bit naff IMO. Same goes with GPS. If you have Google maps and location tracking it will do exactly the same thing. Nike app will do exactly the same... I in fact many activity tracking apps will do just that with your phone.I personally use withings pop. 8 months battery life. Step, sleep, activity tracking. Looks smart and casual.There is little evidence suggesting that activity trackers are of any benefit and how accurate they are (in terms of calorie counting and steps made) It all depends on a person (again METs). As long as you get the step count and you try to beat your previous record that's what's important. After all they are to promote healthy lifestyle.. I increasing your activity is just that why can i not edit using an app?

Thanks for the detailed response. Ideally, having broken a couple of phones, I don't want to take it with me, so would rather a watch with these functions, although I accept that the phone probably does most of the tasks I want!
    I'll have a look at the withings watches - see what they do.
    Thanks again

ktm666

Thanks for the detailed response. Ideally, having broken a couple of … Thanks for the detailed response. Ideally, having broken a couple of phones, I don't want to take it with me, so would rather a watch with these functions, although I accept that the phone probably does most of the tasks I want!I'll have a look at the withings watches - see what they do.Thanks again

have you looked at mi band 2? it does not have GPS but ticks all the other boxes and costs fraction of the price compared to others...
    Edited by: "mattsk" 4th Aug 2016

ktm666

Thanks for this - what about if paired to an iPhone? Will it retain all … Thanks for this - what about if paired to an iPhone? Will it retain all its functions?

​I'm afraid I can't answer that myself. Sorry.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2429
      2. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608650
      3. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1933
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767333

See more discussions