Health Tourism Costing UK £2b

Found 3rd JanEdited by:"Dilithium"
Health Tourism is currently costing the UK more than £2b per annum, about equal to the current NHS Deficit.

theguardian.com/soc…how

conservativehome.com/pla…tml

express.co.uk/new…mas

Have you, or a much loved close relative, had a heart wrenching operation recently cancelled? Or perhaps one coming up that is now in doubt?

bbc.com/new…412

Is there an answer to help solve this issue?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Uranus3rd Jan

There is a difference between debate and fixation.If the theme of your …There is a difference between debate and fixation.If the theme of your posts are generally in regards to anti immigration then you are on some kind of crusade and not here to debate.I still reckon you are someone's troll-bot account.

And yet again you're the first to shout 'racist' are you on some anti-fash payroll to scream the R word at every and all opportunities?
Serious question.
Dilithium5 m ago

Since when is quoting fact anti immigrant?Where is your answer to the …Since when is quoting fact anti immigrant?Where is your answer to the problem instead of simply trying to incite a left wing riot?

Haven't you realised yet that it doesn't matter how much it costs the UK tax payer or it's public services as long as you don't appear to be racist/anti-immigration/pro-brexit?

Best to just stick your head in the sand at the same time as your hand in your pocket just in case it "offends" someone.
Uranus3rd Jan

There is a difference between debate and fixation.If the theme of your …There is a difference between debate and fixation.If the theme of your posts are generally in regards to anti immigration then you are on some kind of crusade and not here to debate.I still reckon you are someone's troll-bot account.

Your method of debate is to insult.

Debate the deficit that you happily ignore.

Debate Health Tourism that you happily ignore.

Debate the elderly, the sick and the disabled that you happily ignore.

No? Instead you prefer to insult.
A find it enlightening that some refuse to condemn the fact, non UK nationals are permitted to drain NHS funds to the detriment of UK taxpayers.

How can anyone believe that it's acceptable for children, the sick and elderly from the UK, to suffer due to NHS funds being spent on health tourists?

Action needs to be taken and prioritised as a matter of urgency.

The opportunity of Brexit clearly gives our government the chance to tighten many loopholes that free movement has simplified.
99 Comments
Brexit
I am beginning to wonder if you aren't just someone's troll-bot given the standard anti immigrant theme of many of your posts/threads.
Uranus3rd Jan

I am beginning to wonder if you aren't just someone's troll-bot given the …I am beginning to wonder if you aren't just someone's troll-bot given the standard anti immigrant theme of many of your posts/threads.

Since when is quoting fact anti immigrant?

Where is your answer to the problem instead of simply trying to incite a left wing riot?
The only worthwhile statement in the article is "The true cost of health tourism is unknown".
Dilithium5 m ago

Since when is quoting fact anti immigrant?Where is your answer to the …Since when is quoting fact anti immigrant?Where is your answer to the problem instead of simply trying to incite a left wing riot?

Haven't you realised yet that it doesn't matter how much it costs the UK tax payer or it's public services as long as you don't appear to be racist/anti-immigration/pro-brexit?

Best to just stick your head in the sand at the same time as your hand in your pocket just in case it "offends" someone.
Dilithium7 m ago

There is a difference between debate and fixation.
If the theme of your posts are generally in regards to anti immigration then you are on some kind of crusade and not here to debate.I still reckon you are someone's troll-bot account.
Uranus3rd Jan

Your method of debate is to insult.

Debate the deficit that you happily ignore.

Debate Health Tourism that you happily ignore.

Debate the elderly, the sick and the disabled that you happily ignore.

No? Instead you prefer to insult.
Uranus3rd Jan

And yet again you're the first to shout 'racist' are you on some anti-fash payroll to scream the R word at every and all opportunities?
Serious question.
When visiting here a US relative fell and broke his arm, I took him to A&E and they patched him up, he got his credit card out and asked where he could pay.

After lots of discussion it was discovered that the trust had no way of taking payment and wouldn't know what to charge anyway, interestingly the Drs were very anti charging patients, even the foreigners.
deleted265520
It's a concern but how much does tax avoidance cost the UK OP?
shadey1231 m ago

And yet again you're the first to shout 'racist' are you on some anti-fash …And yet again you're the first to shout 'racist' are you on some anti-fash payroll to scream the R word at every and all opportunities?Serious question.

Please point out where I shouted 'racist'?
Serious question.
DKLS4 m ago

When visiting here a US relative fell and broke his arm, I took him to A&E …When visiting here a US relative fell and broke his arm, I took him to A&E and they patched him up, he got his credit card out and asked where he could pay.After lots of discussion it was discovered that the trust had no way of taking payment and wouldn't know what to charge anyway, interestingly the Drs were very anti charging patients, even the foreigners.

You may touch on a fair point.

Perhaps it would be fair to pay for injuries inflicted from accidents whilst legitimately visiting the UK, but not for health conditions?

Or perhaps visitors should be required to prove they hold health insurance when entering the UK?
DKLS8 m ago

When visiting here a US relative fell and broke his arm, I took him to A&E …When visiting here a US relative fell and broke his arm, I took him to A&E and they patched him up, he got his credit card out and asked where he could pay.After lots of discussion it was discovered that the trust had no way of taking payment and wouldn't know what to charge anyway, interestingly the Drs were very anti charging patients, even the foreigners.

It's not the doctor's job to charge patients. The doctors job is to treat patients. It should be the admin staff at hospitals who deal with the payment side of things
Have you, or a much loved close relative, had a heart reassuring operation recently completed? Or perhaps one coming up that is now in confirmed?
Perhaps they aren't eligible because they're visiting from overseas and plan to scarper without paying?
Dilithium19 m ago

You may touch on a fair point.Perhaps it would be fair to pay for injuries …You may touch on a fair point.Perhaps it would be fair to pay for injuries inflicted from accidents whilst legitimately visiting the UK, but not for health conditions?Or perhaps visitors should be required to prove they hold health insurance when entering the UK?

It think it should be one of the requirement to enter this country. The french do it, when I did a gig in Paris, as part of getting the working visa I had to provide proof of private health cover. Makes sense, there was a local family on Facebook appealing for cash to pay a rather large and growing Bangkok Hospital bill.

chaywa15 m ago

It's not the doctor's job to charge patients. The doctors job is to treat …It's not the doctor's job to charge patients. The doctors job is to treat patients. It should be the admin staff at hospitals who deal with the payment side of things

True dat, but not many admin bods around A&E, but wouldn't be that hard, bring in a consultant from the states, setup a coding and billing system, present patient with bill, they pay or their insurance pays.
DKLS46 m ago

It think it should be one of the requirement to enter this country. The …It think it should be one of the requirement to enter this country. The french do it, when I did a gig in Paris, as part of getting the working visa I had to provide proof of private health cover. Makes sense, there was a local family on Facebook appealing for cash to pay a rather large and growing Bangkok Hospital bill.True dat, but not many admin bods around A&E, but wouldn't be that hard, bring in a consultant from the states, setup a coding and billing system, present patient with bill, they pay or their insurance pays.

Breathalyse them while they're at it.
Uranus3rd Jan

Breathalyse them while they're at it.

I like your thinking, bill them for a alcohol blood alcohol test, 200% mark up at least, plus admin and processing costs.
You could easily add 5-10k to a bill with some clever clinical cost coding, before long the NHS would be swimming with funds.
So the £2bn figure is just one that has been made up essentially.

Stick to the facts please.

This does not mean I do not think it is a problem, but it is not what is bringing the NHS to it knee's like you would like to believe it does.
Towelie7 m ago

So the £2bn figure is just one that has been made up essentially.Stick to …So the £2bn figure is just one that has been made up essentially.Stick to the facts please. This does not mean I do not think it is a problem, but it is not what is bringing the NHS to it knee's like you would like to believe it does.

Actually it's far worse, I was trying to avoid an outcry of disbelief by using the figure purely for England more than 4 years ago, the figure for the UK is actually now far worse.

"...on 1st February 2016, during a House of Lords debate, Lord Bates, then Secretary of State at the Home Office, estimated that according to 2013 figures, the total cost to the NHS of treating visitors and migrants in England alone was £2 billion per year."

I guess you refuse to believe the Secretary of State at the Home Office?
DT893rd Jan

Let's keep on track. What would you suggest is done to alleviate your concerns on health tourism?
Dilithium20 m ago

Actually it's far worse, I was trying to avoid an outcry of disbelief by …Actually it's far worse, I was trying to avoid an outcry of disbelief by using the figure purely for England more than 4 years ago, the figure for the UK is actually now far worse. "...on 1st February 2016, during a House of Lords debate, Lord Bates, then Secretary of State at the Home Office, estimated that according to 2013 figures, the total cost to the NHS of treating visitors and migrants in England alone was £2 billion per year."I guess you refuse to believe the Secretary of State at the Home Office?

There's no point believing any quote made by a Government minister unless it's been verified by the National Audit Office or other equivalent and/or relevant body. Everyone can cherry pick statistics for their own means, and elected officials are often some of the best at that without relevant context or sources.
Check entitlements at hospital properly.

Now that's solved, and following on from these legitimate concerns, Brexit has caused a far deeper economic wound to our country and things could get worse.

Does anyone have any answers for this?
Anyone who was very vocal about how great it was going to be but now changed their name?
I think its time to bring an NHS cryptocurrency to generate funds to help support it.
still probably nowhere near the cost of self inflicted health costs due to over smoking and over drinking and over eating ( Ican go on).
A find it enlightening that some refuse to condemn the fact, non UK nationals are permitted to drain NHS funds to the detriment of UK taxpayers.

How can anyone believe that it's acceptable for children, the sick and elderly from the UK, to suffer due to NHS funds being spent on health tourists?

Action needs to be taken and prioritised as a matter of urgency.

The opportunity of Brexit clearly gives our government the chance to tighten many loopholes that free movement has simplified.
Uranus3rd Jan

whats with your fixation?
Nothing like a fake story to stir up a bit of divisive hatred. Those masonic journalists are relentless brain washing freaks.
deleted265520
OllieSt3 h, 47 m ago

Let's keep on track. What would you suggest is done to alleviate your …Let's keep on track. What would you suggest is done to alleviate your concerns on health tourism?

I would say my concerns are elsewhere.
DT893rd Jan

DT893rd Jan

So are mine
These figures are the tip of the iceberg and the reluctance to administer charges by NHS staff is simply not on . Surely employing a team in each trust to recover this money would be cost effective . The truth is , there would be a public outcry if the actual amount was costed and made public ,so it remains hidden or vague at best . The same applies to benefits handed out , schooling costs and prison costs of mass immigration.
Conveniently the media and government has micro managed this info , kept it suppressed ( much only available from FOI requests)and deemed anyone who asks a racist .
The fact that the figures remain buried and seemingly unobtainable tells you all you need to know .
Dilithium3 h, 10 m ago

A find it enlightening that some refuse to condemn the fact, non UK …A find it enlightening that some refuse to condemn the fact, non UK nationals are permitted to drain NHS funds to the detriment of UK taxpayers.How can anyone believe that it's acceptable for children, the sick and elderly from the UK, to suffer due to NHS funds being spent on health tourists?Action needs to be taken and prioritised as a matter of urgency. The opportunity of Brexit clearly gives our government the chance to tighten many loopholes that free movement has simplified.

Are you talking about EU nationals then? Are you saying that the reciprocal European Health Insurance Card etc. arrangements should be terminated? Even your Express article says this is largely from outside the EEA?

That would cause a huge insurance burden then to fall on the UK government or individual citizens.

What does free movement have to do with enforcement of rules?

You seem a bit confused about the issues here, I think you're probably getting a bit muddled because today the Conservative government cancelled non-essential operations until the end of the month.

21 hospitals are on black alert. The NHS is in crisis and the Conservative party are on a mission to strip back the NHS until their US healthcare friends can move in.
They'll be rewarded with directorships etc. of companies when they retire as MPs and their friends will have bought shares on their behalf in these health companies using shell companies and insider information.
Thank God we don't have corruption here like those dreadful African countries.
Edited by: "Cr0m" 3rd Jan
DT893rd Jan

then why are you here, on a thread about Health Tourism?
Regarding the true cost, its irrelevant. If you know someone is plundering your house, it doesn't make a difference whether they intend to leave with just your car keys, or plan on emptying out the whole house. You do what you can to stop it without worrying about what they might/will take.

Dilithium10 h, 37 m ago

Your method of debate is to insult. Debate the deficit that you happily …Your method of debate is to insult. Debate the deficit that you happily ignore. Debate Health Tourism that you happily ignore. Debate the elderly, the sick and the disabled that you happily ignore.No? Instead you prefer to insult.

That's how they lost the referendum and they still don't get it.
NHS should be replaced with a insurance funded healthcare system. It is unfair that a top rate taxpayer is forced to share this healthcare system with benefit scroungers, immigrants, asylum seekers and health tourists.
shadey1211 h, 20 m ago

And yet again you're the first to shout 'racist' are you on some anti-fash …And yet again you're the first to shout 'racist' are you on some anti-fash payroll to scream the R word at every and all opportunities?Serious question.

Hey mate, still waiting for clarification of where I shouted 'racist' in here?
This also goes out to the people who hit the like button.
I'm sure between the 11 of you (at time of writing) you can point me to the relevant post on this thread?
'Serious question'.
Dilithium11 h, 23 m ago

Your method of debate is to insult. Debate the deficit that you happily …Your method of debate is to insult. Debate the deficit that you happily ignore. Debate Health Tourism that you happily ignore. Debate the elderly, the sick and the disabled that you happily ignore.No? Instead you prefer to insult.

Where was the insult in this thread?
This question also goes out to the list of people who hit the like button on your post.
davewave4 h, 12 m ago

whats with your fixation?

Damn Dave, you missed the opportunity to post your usual "LETS MARCH!" comment, to the post directly above yours.
Uranus3rd Jan

Hey mate, still waiting for clarification of where I shouted 'racist' in …Hey mate, still waiting for clarification of where I shouted 'racist' in here?This also goes out to the people who hit the like button.I'm sure between the 11 of you (at time of writing) you can point me to the relevant post on this thread?'Serious question'.

So you do realise there's a difference between someone being anti immigration and someone being racist?

Edit, what's the obsession with the likes, you mentioning others, dt mentioning his own (numerous times)
Edited by: "shadey12" 3rd Jan
DT893rd Jan

If you have a shop and it's suffering from a proliferation of shoplifters and vandals, do you ignore that and look for other ways to make ends meet while leaving the shoplifters and vandals to kill your business.
Uranus3rd Jan

Damn Dave, you missed the opportunity to post your usual "LETS MARCH!" …Damn Dave, you missed the opportunity to post your usual "LETS MARCH!" comment, to the post directly above yours.

Zzz
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants