Hearing aid compatible mobile phone

Posted 29th Apr
I am needing to find a decent but sub £150.00 Android smartphone for my elderly mother that is hearing aid compatible. Ideally looking for M3/T3 or above rated.
Please can you offer any recommendations of either new or refurbished.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Hearing aids will work with any smartphones.
Jerry301829/04/2020 19:36

Hearing aids will work with any smartphones.

She currently has a Samsung A10, but for whatever reason, she just can't hear the person on the other end amd was therefore looking for something rated for hearing aids in the M3 or above rating, or T3 or above if I can confirm that her hearing aids have the telecoil functionality.
Just use texts surely ?

Strangely felt the need to send one today on a dumb phone took forever
and people sent 10k's a day
To be quite honest, as a hearing aid user I find it remarkably difficult to hear on any pretty much any phone whether they are rated for hearing aid usage or not. The only way I've found to combat this is to use the phone on speakerphone, or to use bone conduction headphones which connect to the phone via bluetooth (these won't work for everybody though, depends on your type of hearing loss).

My nan also wears hearing aids and really struggled to hear on both her home phone and mobile, once I showed her how to put a call on speakerphone she now has no issues at all! Rather than buying anything new, it might just be as easy as explaining to your mum how to do this on her existing phone and seeing if this helps?
Wongy11030/04/2020 00:49

Just use texts surely ?Strangely felt the need to send one today on a dumb …Just use texts surely ?Strangely felt the need to send one today on a dumb phone took foreverand people sent 10k's a day

She can text, but certain things just really could do with being in conversation, especially during current times when she can't leave the house for age & underlying heath problems.
Psychobunni30/04/2020 10:45

To be quite honest, as a hearing aid user I find it remarkably difficult …To be quite honest, as a hearing aid user I find it remarkably difficult to hear on any pretty much any phone whether they are rated for hearing aid usage or not. The only way I've found to combat this is to use the phone on speakerphone, or to use bone conduction headphones which connect to the phone via bluetooth (these won't work for everybody though, depends on your type of hearing loss). My nan also wears hearing aids and really struggled to hear on both her home phone and mobile, once I showed her how to put a call on speakerphone she now has no issues at all! Rather than buying anything new, it might just be as easy as explaining to your mum how to do this on her existing phone and seeing if this helps?

Speakerphone has seemed to help in the past when she can remember how to use it or that this functionality is there. She rang me in error earlier today, but was strangely able to hear most of the conversation with the phone to her ear, where other days she says she can't. I've previously suggested it may be where she is holding the phone ear piece in relation to her ear/hearing aid. No matter how much I tried to describe to her how to switch the speakerphone on, she just couldn't seem to do it or was just plain confused, got frustrated and gave up! When this Covid situation is finally over, hopefully I can sit down with her and go through the simple process with her in person and at least see where she gets herself to before giving up.
Lucky_Taz30/04/2020 21:32

Speakerphone has seemed to help in the past when she can remember how to …Speakerphone has seemed to help in the past when she can remember how to use it or that this functionality is there. She rang me in error earlier today, but was strangely able to hear most of the conversation with the phone to her ear, where other days she says she can't. I've previously suggested it may be where she is holding the phone ear piece in relation to her ear/hearing aid. No matter how much I tried to describe to her how to switch the speakerphone on, she just couldn't seem to do it or was just plain confused, got frustrated and gave up! When this Covid situation is finally over, hopefully I can sit down with her and go through the simple process with her in person and at least see where she gets herself to before giving up.

Ah that sounds like a really stressful situation for you both!

Phone placement with hearing aids is definitely a factor, people naturally put the phone to their ear but the receivers on standard BTE aids is at the top so the phone needs to be placed higher and about an inch away normally.

If you haven't already been there, Action on Hearing Loss' site might be able to give guidance or recommendations to help. They're a pretty useful resource.
Psychobunni30/04/2020 23:33

Ah that sounds like a really stressful situation for you both! Phone …Ah that sounds like a really stressful situation for you both! Phone placement with hearing aids is definitely a factor, people naturally put the phone to their ear but the receivers on standard BTE aids is at the top so the phone needs to be placed higher and about an inch away normally.If you haven't already been there, Action on Hearing Loss' site might be able to give guidance or recommendations to help. They're a pretty useful resource.

Sorry for the delayed reply, thank you for your help and advice. She has Phonak hearing aids and like you mention, I found out yesterday that the microphones are on top above the ear and I think I've now managed to make her understand where she needs to hold the phone, I will however mention that she may still need to hold the phone away from them a bit.
She says the speakerphone is not that clear, so even though she can hear words, she can't always make them out.
She also uses an Echolink II transmitter system for the TV which seems to causes some issues with battery longevity/durability. She can plug either some normal head/ear phones in to the RF box, or she has some loops. Looking at her hearing aid notes, it suggests she has program 1 - loop & mic, program 2 - loop, but whichever program she selects with the button, on either the three loops she has, she says she can't hear anything and unfortunately I would not be able to test this as far as I am aware.She also says that the people who have set the hearing aids for her have disabled the volume for whatever reason. I think there will need to be some discsussions with them just as soon as we are able to do things like that.
40611583-bZxRA.jpg
Hold the phone near to the microphone which will help her to hear better.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions