Expired

Heating Advise? Thermostat placed in lounge, Cold upstairs.

Found 15th Oct 2013
Hello HUKD,

Quick question...

We rent a house and the thermostat is placed downstairs in the lounge, lounge still fairly warm but upstairs getting cold and needing a heat boost so thinking of putting on the heating.

Problem is that once the lounge is warm, the thermostat kicks in and bang heating goes off leaving upstairs cold. I no heat rises but rads dont stay on long enough upstairs to warm it up!

All rads upstairs have tvrs apart from en suite and main bathroom.

any ideas?

Thank you
Community Updates
AskThermostat
15 Comments
Leave the lounge door open.
Original Poster
it is open
Banned
Get a wireless thermostat and put in the hall , then balance all your radiators with thermostatic valves, If you cant do it get a professional in, its worth it. When done leave alone.

Also add radiator reflectors behind the radiators on outside walls

homebuilding.co.uk/adv…ors
Edited by: "Musician" 15th Oct 2013
Adjust the tvr's downstairs so the rads don't kick out much heat - it will then take longer for the lounge to reach the temp set on the thermostat - by which time the upstairs should be warmer (all things being equal.

Keep the lounge door closed.
I don't think your landlord will be willing to have a wireless thermostat fitted or get the rads balanced, you need to trick your thermostat in the lounge. Trouble is I bet your telly is throwing out a lot of the heat too. Try and turn the rads down in the lounge and open a fanlight. If all else fails you might have to get a couple of electric fan heaters for upstairs.
Original Poster
capriboycraig

Adjust the tvr's downstairs so the rads don't kick out much heat - it … Adjust the tvr's downstairs so the rads don't kick out much heat - it will then take longer for the lounge to reach the temp set on the thermostat - by which time the upstairs should be warmer (all things being equal.Keep the lounge door closed.

downstairs has no TVRS ONLY UPSTAIRS
Original Poster
Toptrumpet

I don't think your landlord will be willing to have a wireless thermostat … I don't think your landlord will be willing to have a wireless thermostat fitted or get the rads balanced, you need to trick your thermostat in the lounge. Trouble is I bet your telly is throwing out a lot of the heat too. Try and turn the rads down in the lounge and open a fanlight. If all else fails you might have to get a couple of electric fan heaters for upstairs.

Toptrumpet

I don't think your landlord will be willing to have a wireless thermostat … I don't think your landlord will be willing to have a wireless thermostat fitted or get the rads balanced, you need to trick your thermostat in the lounge. Trouble is I bet your telly is throwing out a lot of the heat too. Try and turn the rads down in the lounge and open a fanlight. If all else fails you might have to get a couple of electric fan heaters for upstairs.

I very much doubt they would be willing lol. thanks for advise
turn the thermostat up?
Original Poster
badgerrules

turn the thermostat up?

never thought of that one.
MWC2012

never thought of that one.

happy to help:-)
Original Poster

was a joke lol. what would happen is yes upstairs would get warm but downstairs would be a sauna!

badgerrules

happy to help:-)

was a joke lol. what would happen is yes upstairs would get warm but downstairs would be a sauna!
Turn the radiators downstairs down and the trv's upstairs up. This will make downstairs longer to warm up. Also, make sure you haven't got air in the upstairs radiators. This will make upstairs barely warm.
As The The rapist has said, turn the heating on long enough to check the rads upstairs are actually getting hot. If the bottoms are hot and tops are cold they need bleeding of air. Or maybe the valves at the other ends are not fully open. Or maybe you already knew this...
hi on the downstairs rad and upstairs rad u will see the trv on one side and a valve on the other side with a white cap. what u need to do is the rad downstairs remove the white cap and get a spanner and turn the brass square section at the top all the way clockwise, it will then shut the water supply to the rad. now slowly open it anticlockwise i would say 1 whole turn and this will restrict a small amount of water into the rad. this will slow down the heating of the rad downstairs allowing more heat upstairs. if the rad is not warming up turn it another 1/4 turn and keep trying until u are happy with the desired effect. this is know as balancing the rad. ie the rad closest to boiler warm up fastest so the norm is restrict the water to the first rad and allow more water to the rad furthest away. also u can try the same method upstairs but see if the white ended valves need opening more. if u jump on to youtube and type in balancing radiators there will be plenty videos showing how to do it
Have you bled the radiators recently?
If not then you should as it might be there's trapped air in the upstairs ones making them less efficient.

Alternatively buy a oil filled radiator and pop in on 20/30 mins before you go to bed and you'll get some good heat coming from there without wasting heat on the rest of the rooms you won't be using.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants