Groups

Heating, timer, boiler, thermostat help please!

Just on the off chance someone could help:

Over the past week or so I have noticed that if I turn off my heating at the timer box (British Gas EMP2) the radiators still stay warm. It does not actually seem to turn off even if the thermostat is set to 0. If I turn the timer off by the wall socket it seems to switch off, but then obviously the hot water goes off too. This never hapened before until I started using the heating more frequently. I had always just turned the heating off at the switch before.

The house has what I think is an emersion boiler (massive green tank in airing cupboard), and a back boiler behind the fire place (it's an ex-council house) if that has any bearing on the situation.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it because the thermostat is knackered/timer box knackered?

Any help gladly received!

8 Comments

The radiators will stay warm for a while after you turn it off - the hot water doesn't instantaneously go cold - or do you mean the water is still being pumped through the system?

There should be a switch on your timer to allow the heating and hot water supply to work independently.

I had this on my combi boiler and it was the motorised control valve sticking. It opens and closes to direct the hot water either to the radiators or to the hot water tank. If it sticks slightly open while it's meant to be directing the water to the hot water tank the heat will leak into the radiator circuit. Try turning hot water off and the central heating up to force the valve to move. If it still does it you may need to replace the motorised valve.

Banned

as said rads stay warm for a while, you will know if the rads are on as you will hear the back boiler, do yoo not have sperate buttons for water and heating? i never used to leave my water on, just used to heat a tank when needed, also please make sure you dont have your immersion switched on too, its amazing how many people do without realising it

kingy58;6958182

I had this on my combi boiler and it was the motorised control valve … I had this on my combi boiler and it was the motorised control valve sticking. It opens and closes to direct the hot water either to the radiators or to the hot water tank. If it sticks slightly open while it's meant to be directing the water to the hot water tank the heat will leak into the radiator circuit. Try turning hot water off and the central heating up to force the valve to move. If it still does it you may need to replace the motorised valve.

As kingy58 said. its your 2/3 port valve actuator. you shouldnt need to replace the actual valve, just the motor bit on the top of it.

homerian;6958203

As kingy58 said. its your 2/3 port valve actuator. you shouldnt need to … As kingy58 said. its your 2/3 port valve actuator. you shouldnt need to replace the actual valve, just the motor bit on the top of it.

You can take the motor part off the top and try a squirt of WD40. It might get it going, if not, then you'll need to replace the motor. It's quite easy to DIY and parts can be obtained from Plumb centre of via internet but any boiler work should be done by those cute little doggie people, CORGIs!

kingy58;6958378

You can take the motor part off the top and try a squirt of WD40. It … You can take the motor part off the top and try a squirt of WD40. It might get it going, if not, then you'll need to replace the motor. It's quite easy to DIY and parts can be obtained from Plumb centre of via internet but any boiler work should be done by those cute little doggie people, CORGIs!

Corgi is called Gas Safe now mate.:thumbsup:

since it's not part of your boiler anyone can work on it, nothing to do with gas. if you look at the valve if the motor is turning the cog, the motor is obviously fine, somtimes the bit of metal that hits a microswitch can be bent a bit to let it touch when the motor turns it which is a common fault. otherwise just change the valve. takes about 15mins...3 screws holding it to its base and then its just changing the wires over from the old to the new.

Original Poster

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone, hadn't checked back on the thread coz been ill, wasn't ignoring you guys, and I appreciate the help!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Need help with home Internet dropping out please56
      2. Best Wi-Fi extender33
      3. Any Just Eat Vouchers around?22
      4. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?22

See more discussions