Heavy duty fixings for a brick wall

Found 29th Jun 2012
Hi,

I know this is not exactly a DIY forum but quite a lot of different people use this site.

Here is my problem - we have a fairly heavy duty bracket for hanging baskets but the length of the arm is longish (to accommodate up to 18" pots) and fairly heavy (around 10-15kg I would reckon) so it just fell down with the strong wind we had today.

I didn't put up the original one at the minute but they were pointless plastic fixings and short screws. I was looking at different ones from ones that mould into the wall and them anchor ones.

I wouldn't mind some peoples suggestions as to what they would use in my case. It is a brick wall, probably not the strongest itself but it certainly didn't crumble away it was just rubbish fittings.

Many thanks to those who help.
Community Updates
MiscCall of Duty
16 Comments
I would get the widest & longest screw that will go through the fixing holes, get rawlplugs then drill into the brick.

PS, not so long as to go through the brick.

Or get rawlbolts
Thanks bubblegum, so anchor isn't the best keyword at all. Thanks for letting me know
I always use hammer screws for fixing to outside walls,never had any problems with them.
You need some direct fixings or Amo's they are also called.

Window installers used to use rawlplugs (fisher fixings) but 99% have now moved onto direct fixings as they are quicker and stronger.

The hole needs to be 7.5mm to take the fixing, but you only drill a 6.5mm hole so it fits nice and tight.

You need to use fatter wood screws and brown plugs.......forget buying fancy fixings - you dont need them!
transit

You need to use fatter wood screws and brown plugs.......forget buying … You need to use fatter wood screws and brown plugs.......forget buying fancy fixings - you dont need them!

The important thing in this case is to drill into the brick and not the mortar joints and use a min of 6mm x 65mm long screw
DEALWARRIOR

The important thing in this case is to drill into the brick and not the … The important thing in this case is to drill into the brick and not the mortar joints and use a min of 6mm x 65mm long screw

I had presumed he was drilling into the brick.
transit

I had presumed he was drilling into the brick.

True, but I have seen heavy objects pull fixings out mainly because the person drilling the holes took the easy option and put the fixings into the mortar joint and saved about 5 minutes of their time
l

Many thanks all for your input and yeah drilling into the bricks themselves though I would like to use the holes I already have to not make it look stupid with many holes dotted around.

306notout

You need some direct fixings or Amo's they are also called.Window … You need some direct fixings or Amo's they are also called.Window installers used to use rawlplugs (fisher fixings) but 99% have now moved onto direct fixings as they are quicker and stronger. The hole needs to be 7.5mm to take the fixing, but you only drill a 6.5mm hole so it fits nice and tight.

So no plugs at all?

Edit: Any technique to using these?

Edited by: "shadowdogg" 29th Jun 2012
although using the screws described above may be suitable, i would personally use rawlbolts.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/shield-anchor-bolt-type-8-x-90mm-drill-size-14-pack-of-5/16000

i am an electrician, and have been fitting wall mounted projectors and various other things to walls for the past few years and i swear by these now.

if you do use them though, make sure you dont drill the holes too deep, they should be drilled to the length of the bolt and not more

i should also add i havent used screwfix ones before, i get them provided from my work, so i cant review their quality, the link was just to show you what they are
Edited by: "coullgfx" 29th Jun 2012
coullgfx

although using the screws described above may be suitable, i would … although using the screws described above may be suitable, i would personally use rawlbolts.http://www.screwfix.com/p/shield-anchor-bolt-type-8-x-90mm-drill-size-14-pack-of-5/16000i am an electrician, and have been fitting wall mounted projectors and various other things to walls for the past few years and i swear by these now.if you do use them though, make sure you dont drill the holes too deep, they should be drilled to the length of the bolt and not morei should also add i havent used screwfix ones before, i get them provided from my work, so i cant review their quality, the link was just to show you what they are

Cheers. My only reason for quite liking the frame fixing ones is that they look more smaller that may fit through the bracket. It is going to be my bracket which dictates what I can or can't use I would think. I would need to go to b&q to just find out what is the maximum it can fit through it.
shadowdogg

Cheers. My only reason for quite liking the frame fixing ones is that … Cheers. My only reason for quite liking the frame fixing ones is that they look more smaller that may fit through the bracket. It is going to be my bracket which dictates what I can or can't use I would think. I would need to go to b&q to just find out what is the maximum it can fit through it.

just measure the hole on the bracket, or if need be, drill it out to make it bigger, you can get smaller bolts than the ones i provided link for, but i would like to think it will fit at least 6mm rawlbolts, if it is designed to take large planters
coullgfx

just measure the hole on the bracket, or if need be, drill it out to make … just measure the hole on the bracket, or if need be, drill it out to make it bigger, you can get smaller bolts than the ones i provided link for, but i would like to think it will fit at least 6mm rawlbolts, if it is designed to take large planters

Making the holes any bigger would not be good for the integrity of the bracket, it already is fairly thin. With these rawlbolts you said, do they expand inside the hole like others I have looked at when you tighten
Edited by: "shadowdogg" 29th Jun 2012
try using bolts like these
http://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-monti-flanged-hex-head-shield-anchors-7-5-x-60mm-pack-of-50/26905
you should be able to buy them loose at some hardware shops
shadowdogg

Making the holes any bigger would not be good for the integrity of the … Making the holes any bigger would not be good for the integrity of the bracket, it already is fairly thin. With these rawlbolts you said, do they expand inside the hole like others I have looked at when you tighten

yes they do open up, as long as you drill the hole with the correct sized drill bit, they will hold very well, it is basically a matal rawlplug.

as i said myself and many others i work with swear by these, for fixing heavy projectors to walls
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions