HELLLLLLPPPPPP!!! partitioning hard drive

Found 31st Mar 2010
netbook has hard drive of 160g. recovery area says 7gb and is showing both c and d drivers at 71gb each. is this the correct kind of percentage??? This is in the installation process of windows xp. all help appreciated. thanks

12 Comments

Yeah you never get the full amount specified for example my new 500gb shows as 455gb.

Original Poster

should it be 50:50?????????

Banned

7gb for recovery partition, and it seems to be set to 2 partitions of 71gb

overall, its normal

do you want to join the 2-71gb partitions into 1?

there is nothing wrong with it, you are not losing any
its just you will have a c drive of 71gb and a d drive of 71gb as it is

which isnt so bad as it organises you better anyway

The reason for the anomaly is that the quoted capacity by manufacturers use a base 10 system, whereas the capacity reported by software uses the base 2 system. So with a capacity of 160GB in the base 10 system, 10^9*160/(1024*1024*1024) gives 149 GB in base 2.

Sounds like your drive is formatted into 3 partitions:-

recovery drive 7GB
C-Drive 71GB
D-Drive 71GB

Making a total of around 150GB which is a little short. This will depend on which type file structure you have used ie Fat32 or NTFS. Do you know which?
To check your drive size-
1 Click on the Start button located in the lower left corner of the Taskbar.
2 In the menu that pops up, click on My Computer to open the window.
3 Single click on the Local Disk (C:). You will see the size of the hard drive at the bottom of the blue bar on the left of the window. Do the same for Loca Disk (D:) and the recovery partition. Add all the sizes togther to get the total hard drive size.
4 If you do not see it, then click on Details. you will see how big the hard drive is under Total Size in GB and how much of that space is unused (Free Space)

Alternativly, go into control panel, admin tools, computer mangement and then disk management (under storage section on the left).

Hope this helps

Nymrod;8258274

Sounds like your drive is formatted into 3 partitions:-recovery drive … Sounds like your drive is formatted into 3 partitions:-recovery drive 7GBC-Drive 71GBD-Drive 71GBMaking a total of around 150GB which is a little short. This will depend on which type file structure you have used ie Fat32 or NTFS. Do you know which?To check your drive size-1 Click on the Start button located in the lower left corner of the Taskbar.2 In the menu that pops up, click on My Computer to open the window.3 Single click on the Local Disk (C:). You will see the size of the hard drive at the bottom of the blue bar on the left of the window. Do the same for Loca Disk (D:) and the recovery partition. Add all the sizes togther to get the total hard drive size.4 If you do not see it, then click on Details. you will see how big the hard drive is under Total Size in GB and how much of that space is unused (Free Space)Alternativly, go into control panel, admin tools, computer mangement and then disk management (under storage section on the left).Hope this helps

No, it is not short and it doesn't depend on the File System used (FAT32 or NTFS). The hard drive capacity is NEVER reduced by the File System. It's simply manufacturers using the base 10 system to report the hard drive capacity.

Original Poster

thanks - all confused now. the default settings were 7gb, 71gb and 71gb but asked if i wanted them like that. I didnt know if i should be changing them at all as ive never had to partition a drive before

Banned

Aquatic;8258380

thanks - all confused now. the default settings were 7gb, 71gb and 71gb … thanks - all confused now. the default settings were 7gb, 71gb and 71gb but asked if i wanted them like that. I didnt know if i should be changing them at all as ive never had to partition a drive before

simply

7gb, leave alone, so you can recover again in future

71gb & 71gb were how it must have been set before and showed up as a C: and D: in my computer

all is well, go ahead

Aquatic;8258380

thanks - all confused now. the default settings were 7gb, 71gb and 71gb … thanks - all confused now. the default settings were 7gb, 71gb and 71gb but asked if i wanted them like that. I didnt know if i should be changing them at all as ive never had to partition a drive before

You have a single 160GB hard drive. This is a physical drive. The single physical drive is split into 3 logical drives. Logical drives can be created in several ways, of which partitioning is one method. Your hard drive has 3 partitions with each one holding a single logical drive. The 7GB partition contains the software to restore the PC to factory settings and the other 2 partitions are split into 2 other logical drives. You can merge all 3 partitions to create a single logical drive (but this means removing the restore partition).

If you are confident that you have the necessary means to restore the PC in an emergency, you can merge all 3 partitions to create a single logical drive. If you wish to keep the restore partition, you can still merge the other 2 partitions to create one signle partition and assign it at least one logical drive letter (you can assign extra logical drives for this partition but that is unusual). For performance purposes, some people do use 2 logical drives on 2 separate partitions. It reduces fragmentation of the swap file and keeps Windows system files located physically close to one another so the hard disc read/write heads do not need to travel far.

dcx_badass;8258466

It doesn't matter, just depends on how you want it split. Imagine 1 … It doesn't matter, just depends on how you want it split. Imagine 1 filing cabinet, with two drawers instead of 1 like you'd had before.

That is a good analogy! However, there are small performance gains to be made from partitioning.

leave it like that and stick windows 7 on the D partition at a later date and duel boot:)

quizmaniac;8258598

leave it like that and stick windows 7 on the D partition at a later date … leave it like that and stick windows 7 on the D partition at a later date and duel boot:)

Duel boot - what let them fight it out (duel)

Or maybe Dual.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771874
    2. Just saw justice league *mimor spoiler*22
    3. Corrupt banks finally being dealt with33
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19548044

See more discussions