Groups
    EXPIRED

Help!

***Sorry in advance if I'm not allowed to post this***

I lent a friend some money to get a new tv on Black Friday. He promptly gave his current one to charity. He came home from work on Thursday evening to find he'd been broken into and all they took was the tv. Like the idiot he is, he has no contents insurance and no tv to watch.

He lives alone and has no computer/other source of entertainment. Or money since he already paid me back.

With it being the season of goodwill and all that jazz, just wanted to ask if anyone has a spare/old tv he could have for free? He lives in Manchester city centre and myself nearby but I could drive in the surrounding areas to pick one up.

Any help would be really greatly appreciated!

19 Comments

Have you tried freecycle

Original Poster

archer1204

Have you tried freecycle

Yeah, just had a look before posting the above but people are only offering CRTs which I am far too weak to be able to carry/even fit in my car

jemmarocks

Yeah, just had a look before posting the above but people are only … Yeah, just had a look before posting the above but people are only offering CRTs which I am far too weak to be able to carry/even fit in my car

Do you not know anyone with a car who could help you pick it up

does he have a freeview box?

Original Poster

swashey

does he have a freeview box?

No, he was mainly using it for his ps3 which they didn't steal. And Chromecast for his phone which was snapped in half and left.

Failing this, my Christmas money aka PS4 fund will probably go towards getting him a new tv

Nice thought , I'm sure you'll find one, must be loads of people upgrading for Black Friday ,Xmas . Gave my old LED one away last year after upgrading , too good to chuck , not worth the effort of selling and its still giving pleasure to someone who could never have afforded a 40" . Good Luck

jemmarocks

No, he was mainly using it for his ps3 which they didn't steal. And … No, he was mainly using it for his ps3 which they didn't steal. And Chromecast for his phone which was snapped in half and left.Failing this, my Christmas money aka PS4 fund will probably go towards getting him a new tv

I personally wouldn't do that for someone.

Original Poster

rogparki

Nice thought , I'm sure you'll find one, must be loads of people … Nice thought , I'm sure you'll find one, must be loads of people upgrading for Black Friday ,Xmas . Gave my old LED one away last year after upgrading , too good to chuck , not worth the effort of selling and its still giving pleasure to someone who could never have afforded a 40" . Good Luck

This is what I'm hoping! Told him to give me his old one to put in my loft incase the new one breaks or something but he wanted someone else to benefit from his old one

Original Poster

bcfc2k14

I personally wouldn't do that for someone.

I know, I just feel really really bad about him being stuck at home by himself, especially over Xmas with nothing to do.

I have a 19" tv but doesn't come with freeview so no channels. If he pays for courier then he can have it to tide him over til he gets a new one

jemmarocks

I know, I just feel really really bad about him being stuck at home by … I know, I just feel really really bad about him being stuck at home by himself, especially over Xmas with nothing to do.

Can't you invite him over to your house?

Why don't you give him your own telly? And maybe get a new one for yourself!

jemmarocks

No, he was mainly using it for his ps3 which they didn't steal. And … No, he was mainly using it for his ps3 which they didn't steal. And Chromecast for his phone which was snapped in half and left.Failing this, my Christmas money aka PS4 fund will probably go towards getting him a new tv

This jemma sounds like a keeper if you ask me! very kind of you!

have you tried gumtree freebies?

bcfc2k14

Can't you invite him over to your house?

You want someone to be over at your house everyday?

OP, you're a very good person for trying to do this for your friend. I hope all goes well.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. Nice that your trying to help him. Have a look at free cycle as others suggested, maybe look in your local post or adverts posted in the local shops if anyone is selling a tv. Have a look in the charity as well. If his other tv hasn't been sold, maybe you could buy him that tv back as a gift as well helping the charity? Just a thought.
    Hope it works out okay.

jemmarocks

Yeah, just had a look before posting the above but people are only … Yeah, just had a look before posting the above but people are only offering CRTs which I am far too weak to be able to carry/even fit in my car

Errrr can't he come and help you lift it?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Stole the TV and just the TV, even left the PS3 connected to it, yeah … Stole the TV and just the TV, even left the PS3 connected to it, yeah this story doesn't add up at all.

Because I'm really going to make up a story to reap the generosity of others for a second hand tv? How about I post the crime reference number and the photos of a wrecked flat to validate the story?

The PS3 had been packed up in a bag by the thieves but for some reason left behind.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944491
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927364
      3. Spotify Family Premium share715
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423

See more discussions