HELP! 40th birthday present but not someone i know well!

14 replies
Found 16th Jul 2009
Ok this might be a bit confusing but i'm after some help/advice please guys.

At work i am an access supervisor but i am also in charge of all the security.
The company where all the security team come from are owned by an african husband and wife team.
I have just found out that it is the wife's 40th birthday very soon and all the guards have put some money together and now need to decide what to get her.
I will add some money to it but what do we get????
Apparently african ladies arent that fond of flowers as i thought maybe a nice big bouquet would be good, so that's a no no.
I then suggested vouchers for maybe somewhere like Debenhams cos she could then buy whatever she wanted, perfume, clothes, something for the home etc.
Then i thought about that deal that was on here a while ago, the cheap spa days on lastminute.com but i think theyve all gone now.

What do you think i should do?
Any ideas?

14 Comments

firstly, do they ever buy you a present for your birthday,

second, if not why are you bothering, its not like they are family.

a voucher for zorbing or a wooden crocodile.

a personalised birthday cake.

Depends how well you know them, if you don't really see her on a day to day basis then i wouldn't have bothered. I think the spa gift is too personal so would stick with the vouchers.

wickedteen;5765326

firstly, do they ever buy you a present for your birthday,second, if not … firstly, do they ever buy you a present for your birthday,second, if not why are you bothering, its not like they are family.

OP... Listen to this... A very good point....!

maybe a lap dancer

Take her car away and get a top of the range valet done

Cant go wrong with Wine - Marks has a good deal on at the moment

Original Poster

Thanks. Some helpful (and not so helpful), ideas there.

I don't buy to receive so it doesnt really matter if she buys me a present or not although i do understand where you're coming from..

The present will be from me and all the guards so i'm thinking that maybe the vouchers are the way to go unless someone comes up with any other good ideas?

[url]www.buyagift.co.uk[/url]
some lovely things, esp the thorntons choc hamper

hey its my birthday tomorrow, i know you dont know me but you can get me a present anyway......................lol

flowers!! maybe shes not as old skool as u think..... its the best thing, impersonal and lovely.

when i had my son my hubby's partners sent a huge beautiful boquet and i found it so touching. his nurses gave me some baby clothes.... but to be fair i found the folowers a nicer gesture as was less personal

or a hamper?

gosh i dunno...

we women always get each other flowers/chocolates/candles at my work....

uhmmm...

does she drink?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3283
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769408
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…47104
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604807

See more discussions