Groups

help a blind man out :)

hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could help me, I am serverly visually impaired but I have apps and stuff that help me use a tablet, which helps me do shopping ect, currently I have a hp slate 21 which size wise is great but is very chunky and can't be used away from the mains (plus I've dropped it and now the touch screen doesn't work ) so I was wondering if any one could suggest a decent tablet with a minimum screen size of 10" but the bigger the better really, that ideally has a battery for using away from the mains, not so bothered on os between android and windows just as long as it a pretty recent version, also my son likes to pinch it to play games so enough power for that , obviously the better the screen resolution the better for me I used to know quite alt about this kinda this until my eyes got bad a few years back then I just lost touch with it all .
    thank you in advance any one that takes the time to help me it's much appreciated

15 Comments

I have a Sony Z2 tablet, fast, 10" and powerful. A good purchase. Good luck.

Cex have a few - remember they give a 2 year warranty as standard, this also has mobile data £155 - uk.webuy.com/pro…O2B

We bought this lenovo 10.1 inch tablet from Argos. £119.99 and has been great for all that we have tried.

This guy is very helpful he normally appears as the gadget detective on BBC R5 etc send him a tweet and you should get a response
    twitter.com/Gad…ive

12-13" Windows tablets are fairly common. Microsoft surface pro et al.

HP do the slate 17 which has a battery but it's only Android 4.4

Perhaps the best option would be a convertible laptop. They're available at 14-15" and the touchscreen folds all the way around to create a tablet-like experience. HP Pavillion 15-X360, Lenovo Yoga 500, Acer Aspire R5/R15.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 19th Nov 2016

Original Poster

thanks everyone I'll definitely have a look into these

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

12-13" Windows tablets are fairly common. Microsoft surface pro et al. HP … 12-13" Windows tablets are fairly common. Microsoft surface pro et al. HP do the slate 17 which has a battery but it's only Android 4.4Perhaps the best option would be a convertible laptop. They're available at 14-15" and the touchscreen folds all the way around to create a tablet-like experience. HP Pavillion 15-X360, Lenovo Yoga 500, Acer Aspire R5/R15.

​thank you but I don't have a twitter account

There is an Asus Transformer that is 12 point 5 inches, the T300 Chi which is getting harder to find and around £500. It is a Windows tablet with attachable keyboard. You could also look at touchscreen all in one pcs. It comes with Windows 8.1 but as you would use the assistive features in Windows you can get a free Windows 10 upgrade, I can find and post the link if you like.
    Edited by: "jazzuk777" 19th Nov 2016

Hi Dave ,
    You seem quite clued up so my input's from a slightly different tack.
    With low vision ,one need to maximise contrast ,the best possible contrast is black on white or better still white on black , I'm near 50 and use the reverse contrast trick (white / black) to read text messages/emails on the fly when my glasses aren't near to hand
    The accessibility setting on any android phone or tablet would have this feature ( invert colour) or if you go into deep battery saving mode it renders the screen grayscale which would provide better functional contrast than colours of varying shade
    Also for TV , the larger the better but additionally turn down the colour completely so you have black/white and then sit back and have your son adjust the contrast till it's optimised for you. Next feed the colour back in till it reaches an acceptable balance between good clarity/acuity/sharpness and pleasant colour viewing
    Additionally you can you can get a cheap digicam and plug it into your TV and use it as a handheld digital magnifier to give a live-scanning feed of your correspondence ( bank letters/ bills) on the TV..a bit like an ezee reader or merlin reader pictured below
    http://cdna.allaboutvision.com/i/ev-merlin-book-750x500.jpg
    You probably are aware of the benefits of having food on crockery with contrasting colours to the food on it, so for instance rice on a dark plate rather than on a white plate so you dont have to " look for the food" because of reduced contrast sensitivity
    You can also get little clip buzzers (that emit a sound or vibrate) that fix to cups and tumblers to prevent accidental overfill
    There's lots of other useful tips in other areas but you're probably aufait with most.
    The TV tip I'd imagine would still work .. I dont know as I haven't owned or watched a TV for over 10 years in preference for (dangerous)bikes / the radio and books but the Tv settings I'd imagine will be pretty much unchanged.
    Apologise if this is unrequired info , but just trying to help
    Best wishes

Hi Dave, don't know if this applicable to you or not, but it might be worth researching to see if you are entitled to financial help, through a disability grant or a charity. Anyways all the best and I hope you find what you need.

Ré your eyesight, obviously I dont know why it is so bad, but have you tried Lutein supplements??

My eyesight was badly damaged by steroid treatments for a rare illness, and my night vision and ability to see low contrast items was very poor; since taking Lutein I have seen a fairly big improvement in contrast and night vision; I have gone from having to read under a bright spotlight, to being able to read with reasonable comfort in a fairly dimly lit room.
    Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 19th Nov 2016

Samsung Note Pro 12.2 or iPad Pro?

Original Poster

darklight

Hi Dave , You seem quite clued up so my input's from a slightly … Hi Dave , You seem quite clued up so my input's from a slightly different tack.With low vision ,one need to maximise contrast ,the best possible contrast is black on white or better still white on black , I'm near 50 and use the reverse contrast trick (white / black) to read text messages/emails on the fly when my glasses aren't near to handThe accessibility setting on any android phone or tablet would have this feature ( invert colour) or if you go into deep battery saving mode it renders the screen grayscale which would provide better functional contrast than colours of varying shadeAlso for TV , the larger the better but additionally turn down the colour completely so you have black/white and then sit back and have your son adjust the contrast till it's optimised for you. Next feed the colour back in till it reaches an acceptable balance between good clarity/acuity/sharpness and pleasant colour viewing Additionally you can you can get a cheap digicam and plug it into your TV and use it as a handheld digital magnifier to give a live-scanning feed of your correspondence ( bank letters/ bills) on the TV..a bit like an ezee reader or merlin reader pictured belowYou probably are aware of the benefits of having food on crockery with contrasting colours to the food on it, so for instance rice on a dark plate rather than on a white plate so you dont have to " look for the food" because of reduced contrast sensitivity You can also get little clip buzzers (that emit a sound or vibrate) that fix to cups and tumblers to prevent accidental overfillThere's lots of other useful tips in other areas but you're probably aufait with most.The TV tip I'd imagine would still work .. I dont know as I haven't owned or watched a TV for over 10 years in preference for (dangerous)bikes / the radio and books but the Tv settings I'd imagine will be pretty much unchanged.Apologise if this is unrequired info , but just trying to help Best wishes

​Yeah please

Original Poster

marky mark

Hi Dave, don't know if this applicable to you or not, but it might be … Hi Dave, don't know if this applicable to you or not, but it might be worth researching to see if you are entitled to financial help, through a disability grant or a charity. Anyways all the best and I hope you find what you need.

​thank you alot of this is very helpful

Original Poster

adamskiidu_44

Samsung Note Pro 12.2 or iPad Pro?

​I'm not sure this would work for me , I have lhon which is a rare condition that caused my optic nerves to swell up and distort my vision but I'll definitely look into it thank you
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions