Help a techno-phobe buy a phone!

Posted 12th Aug
Evening all,

Looking for a new contract phone but don't know where to start. All the spec is pretty much blah blah blah to me, all I want is a phone and contract that is reasonably priced and reliable. Looking to spend under £20 a month with a decent network (no Virgin or Three - terrible experiences).

Any help or recommendations on handset would be massively appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Your current phone is quite recent so unless it is faulty keep it and find a sim only deal. All networks do them you can even keep your old number if you want. A sim only deal could be from just a few pound in cost per month. This way you keep your phone and apps and just change the sim.
14 Comments
You can get a basic iPhone 7 with tesco mobile for 14.99 a month contract for 36 months .. 500mb.. 5000 mins.. 5000 texts.. I’ve had no issue with this network
Edited by: "Cbear81" 12th Aug
If you want more data etc have a look at
e2save.com/con…ite
Or mobiles.co.uk/app…e-7
Choose the £20 month deal.

Really depends whether you are used to an iPhone or Android. Also note the memory on the iPhone is significantly less.
Cbear8112/08/2020 21:20

You can get a basic iPhone 7 with tesco mobile for 14.99 a month contract …You can get a basic iPhone 7 with tesco mobile for 14.99 a month contract for 36 months .. 500mb.. 5000 mins.. 5000 texts.. I’ve had no issue with this network

Currently on Tesco Mobile. Can't fault them, very good coverage and customer service.
sydney87112/08/2020 21:27

If you want more data etc have a look at …If you want more data etc have a look at https://www.e2save.com/contract/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s10-liteOr https://www.mobiles.co.uk/apple-iphone-7Choose the £20 month deal. Really depends whether you are used to an iPhone or Android. Also note the memory on the iPhone is significantly less.

I'm Android at the moment (Samsung s9) but I'm not fussed as long as my new phone is reliable and easy to use. Long gone are the days I faffed around trying to get the latest model - as long as I can call, browse online and have access to my apps, i am happy!

Thank you both for your input will defo take a look at the sites and deals mentioned
41649828-JIgGV.jpg
Your current phone is quite recent so unless it is faulty keep it and find a sim only deal. All networks do them you can even keep your old number if you want. A sim only deal could be from just a few pound in cost per month. This way you keep your phone and apps and just change the sim.
Mary_Mary12/08/2020 21:34

Currently on Tesco Mobile. Can't fault them, very good coverage and …Currently on Tesco Mobile. Can't fault them, very good coverage and customer service. I'm Android at the moment (Samsung s9) but I'm not fussed as long as my new phone is reliable and easy to use. Long gone are the days I faffed around trying to get the latest model - as long as I can call, browse online and have access to my apps, i am happy!Thank you both for your input will defo take a look at the sites and deals mentioned

If you're using a S9, why not just switch to a SIM Only deal?

Won't get a much better phone on anything around the £20/month mark.
spruceyb12/08/2020 22:05

If you're using a S9, why not just switch to a SIM Only deal?Won't get a …If you're using a S9, why not just switch to a SIM Only deal?Won't get a much better phone on anything around the £20/month mark.

My s9 overheats - especially in warmer weather. I've had it repaired so many times but the problem persists. Not sure if its a problem with all of these phones or something I am doing with the settings!
Mary_Mary12/08/2020 22:28

My s9 overheats - especially in warmer weather. I've had it repaired so …My s9 overheats - especially in warmer weather. I've had it repaired so many times but the problem persists. Not sure if its a problem with all of these phones or something I am doing with the settings!

Yeah, that's not normal. Only ever had one phone do that (LG G Flex 2 which had a known bad CPU), could be an app you have installed not behaving.

If you're phone is still in warranty I'd push for a replacement. You shouldn't have to put up with that.

Depending on how much data you need there's some decent deals on the OPPO Reno2 Z
phonesltd.co.uk/OPP…t=0

Nice phone, Full HD OLED display, USB-C port, large battery, fast charging and nice cameras.
Mary_Mary12/08/2020 22:28

My s9 overheats - especially in warmer weather. I've had it repaired so …My s9 overheats - especially in warmer weather. I've had it repaired so many times but the problem persists. Not sure if its a problem with all of these phones or something I am doing with the settings!

When you say it overheats what happens.?

All phones get hot when charging or using power hungry apps.

When I say hot I mean hot to the touch like a cup of tea.
MonkeysUncle13/08/2020 00:30

When you say it overheats what happens.? All phones get hot when charging …When you say it overheats what happens.? All phones get hot when charging or using power hungry apps. When I say hot I mean hot to the touch like a cup of tea.

It gets quite hot, uncomfortable to hold. Not like a hot cup of tea, but enough for me to switch it off in the hope it cools down (it does afger about 15 mins but I need to repeat this a good few times during a week).

Other than that it is a great phone, camera quality is the best I've had (I have had only Samsung S series bar one year I had an iPhone 4 and hated the set up). Youve convinced me to give this one a last attempt at being fixed before I give up on it!

I do like the look of the Oppo you sent though, thanks for sending that through
Edited by: "Mary_Mary" 13th Aug
spruceyb12/08/2020 22:53

Yeah, that's not normal. Only ever had one phone do that (LG G Flex 2 …Yeah, that's not normal. Only ever had one phone do that (LG G Flex 2 which had a known bad CPU), could be an app you have installed not behaving.If you're phone is still in warranty I'd push for a replacement. You shouldn't have to put up with that.Depending on how much data you need there's some decent deals on the OPPO Reno2 Zhttps://www.phonesltd.co.uk/OPPO/Reno2_Z_128GB_Luminous_Black_Deals/?monthlycost=20&handsetcost=0Nice phone, Full HD OLED display, USB-C port, large battery, fast charging and nice cameras.

Not in warranty anymore, had it since it came out and then went on a Sim only contract which has now ended. I'm going to have an app clearout (not that i have loads anyway, just usual banking and fitness ones) and if that doesn't work look at sending it out for review on bank insurance. Bit of a faff but it is a good phone when it does behave!
Mary_Mary13/08/2020 08:02

Not in warranty anymore, had it since it came out and then went on a Sim …Not in warranty anymore, had it since it came out and then went on a Sim only contract which has now ended. I'm going to have an app clearout (not that i have loads anyway, just usual banking and fitness ones) and if that doesn't work look at sending it out for review on bank insurance. Bit of a faff but it is a good phone when it does behave!

Sounds to me more like either a rogue app or OS - I've had this type of thing on a couple of devices, and it's been down to a rogue app. So might be worth backing up the phone, and doing a factory reset? Or checking if it heats up consistently when you use a specific app.
alg13/08/2020 08:17

Sounds to me more like either a rogue app or OS - I've had this type of …Sounds to me more like either a rogue app or OS - I've had this type of thing on a couple of devices, and it's been down to a rogue app. So might be worth backing up the phone, and doing a factory reset? Or checking if it heats up consistently when you use a specific app.

I agree. it might be worth resetting to factory settings and clearing up gunk. same with windows. it gets slowed by gunk and feels new when restarting from scratch. heat = processor doing too much = probably too many background tasks :/
Post a comment
@
    Text