Help! Advice about broken boiler

Posted 19th Dec 2011
We are currently in rented accommodation (renting off a family member). Yesterday afternoon our boiler stopped working and we have no hot water or heating.
We rang the family member and they asked us to contact british gas ourselves to arrange a call out. British gas said they couldn't come out until 6-10pm tonight. They turned up and said they thought it was most likely the trap and would order a part to arrive Tue.

We have had a call from them now saying that the part is going to take 7-10 days, my OH has told them that it is ridiculous and we won't accept that, especially over Christmas. Our family member also has rung them up and said the same thing. I have looked on the internet and found a couple of stockists that look like they may stock the part and state they can deliver in 24 hrs.

Is there any particular law that covers us with us having a young child in the house, the house is a large house thats only part double glazed and is freezing and we have no hot water either.
The landlord wants to keep to British gas as they have a contract with them, if it was our own house we would arrange a private plumber.

Thank you in advance for any advice that anyone can give, I have tried googling but can't seem to get much info.
Community Updates
Misc
70 Comments
Post a comment