Help! Advice about broken boiler

Found 19th Dec 2011
We are currently in rented accommodation (renting off a family member). Yesterday afternoon our boiler stopped working and we have no hot water or heating.
We rang the family member and they asked us to contact british gas ourselves to arrange a call out. British gas said they couldn't come out until 6-10pm tonight. They turned up and said they thought it was most likely the trap and would order a part to arrive Tue.

We have had a call from them now saying that the part is going to take 7-10 days, my OH has told them that it is ridiculous and we won't accept that, especially over Christmas. Our family member also has rung them up and said the same thing. I have looked on the internet and found a couple of stockists that look like they may stock the part and state they can deliver in 24 hrs.

Is there any particular law that covers us with us having a young child in the house, the house is a large house thats only part double glazed and is freezing and we have no hot water either.
The landlord wants to keep to British gas as they have a contract with them, if it was our own house we would arrange a private plumber.

Thank you in advance for any advice that anyone can give, I have tried googling but can't seem to get much info.
Community Updates
MiscBoiler
70 Comments
Put another jumper on.

Seriously though, that's pretty rubbish. Ring the council or something. They may be able to advise.

Is there any particular law that covers us with us having a young child … Is there any particular law that covers us with us having a young child in the house

What? oO

Get your family member Landlord to pay to get it fixed...
if it wasn't a relative you would be fuming at your landlord - not British Gas.
My heart goes out to you, can you just not get the part delivered and have British Gas fit the part? I do not know if this is feasible but surely they cannot leave you that long without heat or hot water. If it were me I would be on the phone to them until an agreement could be made - good luck
stay at ur family member's house until they get the problem fix
Hope it gets sorted but i think youve little chance of getting someone out to fit it this week unless you/landlord pay a premium. Cant you borrow/buy/rent a couple of oil filled radiators and shower at a friends.
DAMNOME

What? oOGet your family member Landlord to pay to get it fixed... if it … What? oOGet your family member Landlord to pay to get it fixed... if it wasn't a relative you would be fuming at your landlord - not British Gas.

I agree with this. It is your landlord's responsibility, family or not, to keep the property maintained. Surely, being family, they should understand your plight and get a plumber in asap?

7-10 days with a small child, no heating or hot water? I wouldn't want any of my family going through that in this weather.
Its down to your Landlord, maximum with no heating/hot water is 24 hours i think, and his a fool for getting involved with them cowboys. Worst engineers ever.
They fitted a boiler at mother in laws, then came round a year later to service it and tried to condemn it, told her that whoever fitted it didn't know what they were doing.

accommodationforstudents.com/inf…asp
I'd tell your family member that you will sort it and take any costs out of the rent money, surely they wouldn't like to be in your situation at this time of year, i used to live in a house which was freezing even with the heating on so I feel for you having none what so ever.x
it's 24 hours for landlord to BEGIN making repairs... this has begun as British Gas have called out within the 24 hours
Whay has your family member said about the delay in part arriving? I know it must be difficult renting off a family member. Maybe they can go through to the complaints team and hurry this along?
I rent out properties and with my contracts it would be my responsibility to fix the boiler. Expecting you to wait 7-10 days for BG to receive the part and then send an engineer to fit it is unreasonable. Obviously you are cold which for a short period of time could be solved with some plug in electric heaters but there is no way you can be expected to go without hot water for at least 7 days. Would suggest contacting BG and say you have sourced a new part and can have it ready to fit in 24 hours. Check with them exactly what part is needed as if it is wrong your landlord may well get a call out charge for the engineer. If BG say no then really your landlord should arrange for another plumber to come and do the job. If it was me I would not let you be without heating and hot water for more than 3-4 days. I always look after my tenants and that is why some have rented from me for 7 years or more.
just out of interest, which family member are you renting from ?
does the boiler have a water tank in an airing cupboard with an electronic timer next to it? if so check to see if there is a separate plug which runs the water tank as an immersion heater which will give hot water at least! (only found this out last week from the engineer as our boiler packed up and had to wait 4 days for a new boiler to be fitted...went 2 days without hot water as i knew no different!)might help? then you could borrow some electric heaters?
Edited by: "whingygit" 19th Dec 2011
whatsThePoint

landlord's fault for renting to family

???? Why would this be a different matter if they were nt family?
Thanks for all the advice so far. To make matters worse we have 9 people coming to us for christmas and it can't be relocated. We have storage heaters but they are like a needle in a haystack as the room sizes are huge.

I have contacted one supplier who says he may be able to get the part and is ringing around tomorrow am for me. Just wondered if we got the part would we have to pay for it ourselves our would landlord have to foot the bill, or even british gas as its on contract with them
Shellywelly

Thanks for all the advice so far. To make matters worse we have 9 people … Thanks for all the advice so far. To make matters worse we have 9 people coming to us for christmas and it can't be relocated. We have storage heaters but they are like a needle in a haystack as the room sizes are huge. I have contacted one supplier who says he may be able to get the part and is ringing around tomorrow am for me. Just wondered if we got the part would we have to pay for it ourselves our would landlord have to foot the bill, or even british gas as its on contract with them

Where are you hun? wondering i could loan you our portable radiator - kicks out some good heat!

Edited by: "kimberly81" 19th Dec 2011
Def Landlord's responsibility, regardless if family member. If they are taking your rent it is pretty much a legally binding contract. Pretty sure they would take legal action if YOU stopped paying your rent so they can't get out of their responsibility either!

propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blo…ns/

By the way, if you have a young child/baby or vulnerable person, British Gas have a legal responsibility as well to ensure there is adequate heating as a priority. Can't remember exact wording but make a fuss if you have a young child.

Found this off British Gas Website :::Make sure you have a number handy and you know who you will call if you do experience problems. The British Gas helpline number is 0800 524 4856, you don’t have to be a customer to use the emergency service and if you have a baby you will be prioritised as babies are unable to fully regulate their own body temperature.
Edited by: "CloudCuckooLand" 19th Dec 2011
whatsThePoint

landlord's fault for renting to family

Why? We sold our house and wanted a short term let while we relocated. They had a house that they wanted to let but was too large for what most familys require due to the running costs.

They got a house filled we got a great deal. On the whole its worked great, just this issue we have come upon.
get some cheap electric heaters in the meantime, can get them for about 15 quid from local diy stores/ argos etc
they cost alot to run but would be fine for few weeks and produce enough heat if you have a few
also use kettle/pan for hot water for baths etc/washing up
hope it gets fixed soon x
pink-ka

I'd tell your family member that you will sort it and take any costs out … I'd tell your family member that you will sort it and take any costs out of the rent money, surely they wouldn't like to be in your situation at this time of year, i used to live in a house which was freezing even with the heating on so I feel for you having none what so ever.x

Withholding rent would put you in breach of contract. Don't do this. You need to be seen to keep your side of the contract, because if things get messy, they could then turn round and say that they didn't continue with the repairs as you hadn't paid the rent.
Shellywelly

Thanks for all the advice so far. To make matters worse we have 9 people … Thanks for all the advice so far. To make matters worse we have 9 people coming to us for christmas and it can't be relocated. We have storage heaters but they are like a needle in a haystack as the room sizes are huge. I have contacted one supplier who says he may be able to get the part and is ringing around tomorrow am for me. Just wondered if we got the part would we have to pay for it ourselves our would landlord have to foot the bill, or even british gas as its on contract with them

CloudCuckooLand

Def Landlord's responsibility, regardless if family member. If they are … Def Landlord's responsibility, regardless if family member. If they are taking your rent it is pretty much a legally binding contract. Pretty sure they would take legal action if YOU stopped paying your rent so they can't get out of their responsibility either! http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/landlord-obligations/By the way, if you have a young child/baby or vulnerable person, British Gas have a legal responsibility as well to ensure there is adequate heating as a priority. Can't remember exact wording but make a fuss if you have a young child.

Were in Walsall. We have got a few heaters going but the house is so cold at the best of time, with the heating on. But thank you.

Thats what I had thought, I had heard somewhere that they are not allowed to leave you without heating if you have a vunerable person in household.
CloudCuckooLand

Def Landlord's responsibility, regardless if family member. If they are … Def Landlord's responsibility, regardless if family member. If they are taking your rent it is pretty much a legally binding contract. Pretty sure they would take legal action if YOU stopped paying your rent so they can't get out of their responsibility either! http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/landlord-obligations/By the way, if you have a young child/baby or vulnerable person, British Gas have a legal responsibility as well to ensure there is adequate heating as a priority. Can't remember exact wording but make a fuss if you have a young child. Found this off British Gas Website :::Make sure you have a number handy and you know who you will call if you do experience problems. The British Gas helpline number is 0800 524 4856, you don’t have to be a customer to use the emergency service and if you have a baby you will be prioritised as babies are unable to fully regulate their own body temperature.

Is this a 24hr number too? I would imagine it is...
i dont think OP is saying that the family member is at fault or by any means they are falling out with them because of this....by the sounds of it they are both doing what they can. However Shelly i WOULD leave it to the landlord as they own the property to go through to the hotline cloudcuckooland gave and tell them the situation FIRMLY. See if anything can be done. x
GOOD LUCK
mikefellows

Withholding rent would put you in breach of contract. Don't do this. You … Withholding rent would put you in breach of contract. Don't do this. You need to be seen to keep your side of the contract, because if things get messy, they could then turn round and say that they didn't continue with the repairs as you hadn't paid the rent.

Wouldn't do this, the family member was quick on the uptake and have been trying to fight our corner with british gas.

BUT who is liable to pay for the parts that BG are claiming they can't get. I feel that landlord shouldn't have to when they already pay for a contract with BG.
if it really is that cold go and buy 4 season sleeping bag and hat and gloves!!
Edited by: "JACKIT99" 19th Dec 2011
kimberly81

i dont think OP is saying that the family member is at fault or by any … i dont think OP is saying that the family member is at fault or by any means they are falling out with them because of this....by the sounds of it they are both doing what they can. However Shelly i WOULD leave it to the landlord as they own the property to go through to the hotline cloudcuckooland gave and tell them the situation FIRMLY. See if anything can be done. x

I wouldn't leave it. As the quote above says, you don't need to be a / the customer. I think you'll be able to lay it on thicker than your landlord. It's you that's suffering. Just tell your landlord you're doing it.
I wonder if shelly has a tenancy agreement
Shellywelly

Wouldn't do this, the family member was quick on the uptake and have been … Wouldn't do this, the family member was quick on the uptake and have been trying to fight our corner with british gas. BUT who is liable to pay for the parts that BG are claiming they can't get. I feel that landlord shouldn't have to when they already pay for a contract with BG.

Depends on T&Cs of the contract. Could be servicing only contract, parts not included.
goldmax

I wonder if shelly has a tenancy agreement

yes she does!
What make and model number is the boiler and which part are you needing? As previously said do you have a separate hot water cylinder in a cupboard?
Also the other question I have, with storage heaters costing loads to run, if we have a few days of needing to use them can we claim any of the additional costs back from the landlord? I'm doubting so but handy to know if we can
donaldduck2

What make and model number is the boiler and which part are you needing? … What make and model number is the boiler and which part are you needing? As previously said do you have a separate hot water cylinder in a cupboard?

Its a Biasi Riva Compact HE Condensing boiler and its the trap we need. And nope its a combi boiler.
the problem is would there be any further charges for rushing this job along? If she calls the emergency number and pleads her case re the little one? Wondering if she takes this into her own hands that the landlord may not be so forthcoming with the extra charges?
Shellywelly

Also the other question I have, with storage heaters costing loads to … Also the other question I have, with storage heaters costing loads to run, if we have a few days of needing to use them can we claim any of the additional costs back from the landlord? I'm doubting so but handy to know if we can

it depends on which family member we are talking about, could be embarassing
kimberly81

the problem is would there be any further charges for rushing this job … the problem is would there be any further charges for rushing this job along? If she calls the emergency number and pleads her case re the little one? Wondering if she takes this into her own hands that the landlord may not be so forthcoming with the extra charges?

Don't see why there should be. The landlord pays the service contract, not 'to be fixed at BGs convenience', but to be repaired as soon as practically possible. Which, if the part is available online within 24hrs, is within 24hrs. The property is still covered under the contract, regardless of how quickly they fix it, and whether it's prioritised or not. They can't use the excuse "you've got a baby so we're charging you an extra £50". Imagine the fallout from that...
goldmax

it depends on which family member we are talking about, could be … it depends on which family member we are talking about, could be embarassing

It wouldn't be, they are v well off and we are not close.

Edited by: "Shellywelly" 19th Dec 2011
mikefellows

Don't see why there should be. The landlord pays the service contract, … Don't see why there should be. The landlord pays the service contract, not 'to be fixed at BGs convenience', but to be repaired as soon as practically possible. Which, if the part is available online within 24hrs, is within 24hrs. The property is still covered under the contract, regardless of how quickly they fix it, and whether it's prioritised or not. They can't use the excuse "you've got a baby so we're charging you an extra £50". Imagine the fallout from that...

Thats not what i mean....if she finds the part and has it delivered and they agree to fix it - would she inccur charges for fitting a part they have not provided themselves?
Not sure, but I wouldn't think so. They're still doing the same job after all. She just needs to be totally sure she orders the right part.

Call the emergency number though - they will confirm whether it's an option at least.
mikefellows

Not sure, but I wouldn't think so. They're still doing the same job after … Not sure, but I wouldn't think so. They're still doing the same job after all. She just needs to be totally sure she orders the right part.Call the emergency number though - they will confirm whether it's an option at least.

Ditto
Good luck Shelly!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants