Help Advice Needed - Splitting Large Logs for Wood Burner

Found 13th Oct 2011
Hey Peeps!

Dilemma:
Just Moved into a place with a Woodburner and got some large logs from a friend but they are far too Big. I don't really have enough room to start swinging an axe so anybody else got any ideas? Somebody said about buying a logsplitter machine but sounds pricey...Many thanks for any advice in advance.
Community Updates
15 Comments
Use a saw?
The modern human race has reached a low when someone asks how to cut wood.
How can you possibly not have room to swing an axe? Surely you must have some back garden space or somewhere you can use?
You should check with your local DIY store and see how much theyd charge you for cutting up your logs each month or whenever you re - stock, I shouldnt imagine it be much as we used get our timber cut for our log burner this way. Or, hire a small chainsaw for the day maybe?
DJ1

The modern human race has reached a low when someone asks how to cut wood.

Alright smarty pants... i was not asking how to cut wood rather experience on how other people get their logs split as sawing is going to be hard work....Appreciate the comment though...
clarkeyboy170

You should check with your local DIY store and see how much theyd charge … You should check with your local DIY store and see how much theyd charge you for cutting up your logs each month or whenever you re - stock, I shouldnt imagine it be much as we used get our timber cut for our log burner this way. Or, hire a small chainsaw for the day maybe?

Thanks that is not a bad shout...quite like the idea of a chainsaw for the day
When a man gets turned on liking the thought a day of chainsaw hire and has the avatar of Dexter Morgan be afraid serial killers!
drewdude

Thanks that is not a bad shout...quite like the idea of a chainsaw for … Thanks that is not a bad shout...quite like the idea of a chainsaw for the day

Wait a minute, wait a minute. You have space to wield a chainsaw, but no room to swing an axe?

oO
dmorison

Wait a minute, wait a minute. You have space to wield a chainsaw, but no … Wait a minute, wait a minute. You have space to wield a chainsaw, but no room to swing an axe?oO

Yeah on second thoughts this is not probably not such a good idea! I only got small outdoor space front and back as its an apartment. It'll be easier to just go and buy some logs that fit but now i have these logs i feel like i kinda have to make them fit
I bought one of these two years ago after having used a log splitting axe. Fantastic machine. Bursts huge logs in no time. Well worth the money.

Just search for ELECTRIC HYDRAULIC LOG SPLITTER 7 TON CUTTER WOOD NEW if link doesn't work.
See link for details on how to chop wood : - Your text here
Thanks for all your input and help everyone. Bought a foot operated logsplitter so will see how it goes..
Just buy smaller logs or coal.
drewdude

Thanks for all your input and help everyone. Bought a foot operated … Thanks for all your input and help everyone. Bought a foot operated logsplitter so will see how it goes..

Should be OK if your wood is seasoned.
Best of luck.
ask your friend to provide pre-chopped wood
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants