Help advice req company previously dissolved and started again would you use?

Found 9th Apr 2009
Basically was getting work priced for on my roof and was going to give the job to a recommended local contractor but i have done a quick search and found the company had dissolved 30/04/2008.Then it had started back up again with a slightly different name 02/03/2009.
Would anyone disregard this or get someone else ,i know in this day and age companies go bust for all sorts of reasons,actually i dont really know what dissolved means (i think it means go bust).

Anyway help greatly appreciated

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments

Avoid

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Original Poster

right ok for what reasons? just wondering thats all

why - if they have gone bust - they owed money - maybe to people like you who paid up front for work to be done - might happen again??

find a reputable one - ask friends neighbours etc

If you pay them hundreds of pounds to fix your roof and they go out of business the next day, then start up with a slightly different name a couple of days later, the only way you will get your money back is by the use of extreme violence, I assume you don't want to go down this route....
No seriously, something is dodgy about them.

candi;4881736

right ok for what reasons? just wondering thats all

don't you ever watch Rogue Traders ? :?

Original Poster

I know nothing about how businesses are run but i have found this information about them on companieshouse.gov.uk website

Company Filing History Include Allotment of Shares

Type Date Description Order
GAZ2(A) 30/04/2008 FINAL GAZETTE: DISSOLVED VIA VOLUNTARY STRIKE-OFF

GAZ1(A) 11/12/2007 FIRST GAZETTE NOTICE FOR VOLUNTARY STRIKE-OFF

652a 29/10/2007 APPLICATION FOR STRIKING-OFF

NEWINC 16/10/2007 INCORPORATION DOCUMENTS
CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION
STATEMENT OF DIRECTORS & REGISTERED OFFICE
DECLARATION OF COMPLIANCE
MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION
ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION

what does it mean?

candi;4881856

I know nothing about how businesses are run but i have found this … I know nothing about how businesses are run but i have found this information about them on companieshouse.gov.uk websiteCompany Filing History Include Allotment of Shares Type Date Description Order GAZ2(A) 30/04/2008 FINAL GAZETTE: DISSOLVED VIA VOLUNTARY STRIKE-OFF GAZ1(A) 11/12/2007 FIRST GAZETTE NOTICE FOR VOLUNTARY STRIKE-OFF 652a 29/10/2007 APPLICATION FOR STRIKING-OFF NEWINC 16/10/2007 INCORPORATION DOCUMENTS CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION STATEMENT OF DIRECTORS & REGISTERED OFFICE DECLARATION OF COMPLIANCE MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION what does it mean?

It could be perfectly legitimate though not necessarily.

It sometimes happens when one (or more) directors/shareholders leave and the other(s) want to carry on business without them. Another possibility, of course, is that they've done some bad work and were worried about legal action. The fact that it's a voluntary liquidation would suggest that they didn't owe any money at the time of strike-off.

Ask whoever runs the company direct and see how he/she reacts? You should be able to decide whether their response rings true.

Original Poster

is there any websites,searches i can check to see if they had legal action,debts against them?

thanks to all for the replies really appreciated

Original Poster

How reputable is the FMB organization as the company is listed on there ?

I'd be inclined not to touch the company, I've worked for two companies that have pulled this on me and while there may be lots of legimate reasons for it there are loads of dodgy ones. In the case of the companies I worked for they used this 'trick' because it meant they could get rid of most of their employees without having to pay a penny of what they're owed, didn't have to pay any of the their creditors and they could escape any agreements they didn't want either. Better yet you can buy all the equipment you want back for pennies compared to the actual value of the items.

In both cases for me the 'new' company was operating the very next day, they planned it to take the money out of the old company and quietly put it into the new one. They then went bust, hired back just the employees they needed, bought back the items they wanted for pennies and away they went. If they'd wanted to do this the proper way it would have cost tens of thousands of pounds to pay off the employees and all the creditors but this way they can just wash their hands of it all and start afresh. You totally screw over all your employees and all the companies you were involved with but who cares!

Hence why I would be put off using a company that appears to have done something similar.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;4882467

I'd be inclined not to touch the company, I've worked for two companies … I'd be inclined not to touch the company, I've worked for two companies that have pulled this on me and while there may be lots of legimate reasons for it there are loads of dodgy ones. In the case of the companies I worked for they used this 'trick' because it meant they could get rid of most of their employees without having to pay a penny of what they're owed, didn't have to pay any of the their creditors and they could escape any agreements they didn't want either. Better yet you can buy all the equipment you want back for pennies compared to the actual value of the items. In both cases for me the 'new' company was operating the very next day, they planned it to take the money out of the old company and quietly put it into the new one. They then went bust, hired back just the employees they needed, bought back the items they wanted for pennies and away they went. If they'd wanted to do this the proper way it would have cost tens of thousands of pounds to pay off the employees and all the creditors but this way they can just wash their hands of it all and start afresh. You totally screw over all your employees and all the companies you were involved with but who cares!Hence why I would be put off using a company that appears to have done something similar.John

sounds like ken bates

or it could be the director was getting divorced and wanted his wife off the books etc etc, as suggested ask him and gauge the reaction, if they are a half decent company they won't want paying till jobs done to satisfaction anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text