HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree

Found 21st Aug 2017
I am selling a fridge freezer on gum tree for 225 pounds

I got an SMS message from somebody called Tina - she asked me to email her back (her email address is sweetmummy@...) which seems odd.

She said she definitely wants to item and will pay full price.

She is in a wheelchair and has hearing loss so she wants to use a courier service to pick up my item and she wants to pay through paypal.

I have already given her my paypal details and pickup address but I have said to her not to send any money until courier has confirmed as I am not going to send any money back once received - I have also asked her to send money through Friends & Family on paypal so she can not claim she did not receive the item and I have told her that I am not responsible for paying courier (as I don't want him to turn up expecting payment from me)

All together though it seems abit odd and I have never sold through gumtree before so I am unsure on how it all works.

Any advice - has anyone sold this way before and was it okay?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
come on guys give her a break, she's in a wheelchair and deaf she can't possibly pick it up herself!
22 Comments
Doesn't matter how they pay through PayPal there is always a way to claw the money back once they have your item
Scam. Scam. SCAM.
Edited by: "artnada" 21st Aug 2017
emodan2 m ago

Doesn't matter how they pay through PayPal there is always a way to claw …Doesn't matter how they pay through PayPal there is always a way to claw the money back once they have your item

Just found the exact message she sent to me on a paypal scam website - I have emailed her to stop payment and stop courier
elliemurren3 m ago

Just found the exact message she sent to me on a paypal scam website - I …Just found the exact message she sent to me on a paypal scam website - I have emailed her to stop payment and stop courier

Don't waste your time emailing her to stop the payment. Just ignore her.

Gumtree is designed for cash.
windym5 m ago

Don't waste your time emailing her to stop the payment. Just ignore her. …Don't waste your time emailing her to stop the payment. Just ignore her. Gumtree is designed for cash.

Do you think there will be an issue now that I have given her my home address and paypal info?
It's a scam!
I had same, it's a scam
elmur9859 m ago

Do you think there will be an issue now that I have given her my home …Do you think there will be an issue now that I have given her my home address and paypal info?

So "she" has your paypal email address, mobile phone number and address. I don't think your paypal account is at risk without access to your password. If you have the paypal app on a mobile it will advise you promptly of any transactions on your account - so worth installing if you haven't.

Out of interest, what was the "paypal scam website" that you referred to earlier. Thanks.
gumtree for local face to face deals

alarm bells did not ring ????????? when she came out with that sob story
come on guys give her a break, she's in a wheelchair and deaf she can't possibly pick it up herself!
elmur981 h, 21 m ago

Do you think there will be an issue now that I have given her my home …Do you think there will be an issue now that I have given her my home address and paypal info?

No more than anyone else knowing those things. I would just ignore any further comments from the "buyer" and if you want to feel 100%, change your password on your Paypal. If you get any dodgy looking emails in the next few days/weeks just ignore. Stay vigilant but no more than usual.

You aren't the first person to nearly fall foul of this soft of scam, at least you had the common sense to ask BEFORE rather than AFTER. Well done you..
Edited by: "windym" 21st Aug 2017
Could you take the payment, let the courier turn up, give them a box of rubble and let them do a charge back...?

Courier won't know what to collect and the scammer will be out of pocket for the courier...
She has hearing loss? How will she communicate with the courier?
mrty3 m ago

She has hearing loss? How will she communicate with the courier?

Email?
dataload12 h, 42 m ago

come on guys give her a break, she's in a wheelchair and deaf she can't …come on guys give her a break, she's in a wheelchair and deaf she can't possibly pick it up herself!

Which is exactly why you keep clear of it. They will use any lie to make it seem real. Sick relative in hospital etc etc. Its a clever scam.
Van197314 h, 8 m ago

So "she" has your paypal email address, mobile phone number and address. …So "she" has your paypal email address, mobile phone number and address. I don't think your paypal account is at risk without access to your password. If you have the paypal app on a mobile it will advise you promptly of any transactions on your account - so worth installing if you haven't.Out of interest, what was the "paypal scam website" that you referred to earlier. Thanks.

My sister sent me a screenshot of it - I think it was on the paypal site somebody posted the same message asking if it was a scam
Thanks so much everyone - don't realise how dodgy it sounded until I look back at it now haha
Flodd13 h, 17 m ago

Could you take the payment, let the courier turn up, give them a box of …Could you take the payment, let the courier turn up, give them a box of rubble and let them do a charge back...? Courier won't know what to collect and the scammer will be out of pocket for the courier...

They never actually give you any payment - I spoke with someone from gum tree who said they send you a fake confirmation email - then they claim they sent too much money and ask you to send money back via moneygram (which means I would be out of pocket because they havnt sent me any money in the first place) but I don't think I would have fell for this as I would have checked my paypal balance first.
ITS A SCAM!!!! Has happened to me so many times when I was selling my car and other items.. In my case this being disabled line was always a SCAM!!! Ignore them, or report them to Gumtree.

Its very annoying when you are trying to sell stuff!!

If you google it - there will be loads of people who have had the a similar messege
Edited by: "Tiddly_fiddly" 22nd Aug 2017
Tiddly_fiddly1 m ago

ITS A SCAM!!!! Has this happen so many times when I was selling my car and …ITS A SCAM!!!! Has this happen so many times when I was selling my car and other items.. In my case this being disabled line was always a SCAM!!! Ignore them, or report them to Gumtree. If you google it - there will be loads of people who have had the a similar messege

I know - I have reported it to Gumtree after I found the exact same message online - thanks for the help
cash is always king
ciderman666 h, 44 m ago

cash is always king

Nope local woman 2yrs ago sold in pad £200 woman came to house paid cash next day tried to spend it all notes were fake
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants