help and advise for new home

Posted 10th Dec 2019
Hi All,

Will be moving into our new home soon. I have not setup things like Energy, Broadband and etc. Need help and ideas from you guys on how can I maximize my savings from things such as cashbacks and etc.

Many many thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
We got shafted when we moved house. Previous owners were on a cracking deal with first utility but we didn't know that as soon as the house changes hands they put you on a really expensive "monthly" deal which i think all companies do. However the clowns waited 4 months to send us a bill for a monthly tariff. Had we of known after 1 month we would have changed straight away.

Places like comparethemarket / uswitch are the sites to check for deals like that. Also home insurance is another one that varies in price so much.
m1keyp1key10/12/2019 09:36

We got shafted when we moved house. Previous owners were on a cracking …We got shafted when we moved house. Previous owners were on a cracking deal with first utility but we didn't know that as soon as the house changes hands they put you on a really expensive "monthly" deal which i think all companies do. However the clowns waited 4 months to send us a bill for a monthly tariff. Had we of known after 1 month we would have changed straight away.Places like comparethemarket / uswitch are the sites to check for deals like that. Also home insurance is another one that varies in price so much.

i managed to get a really good home insurance (building only) insurance for £82 with £100 excess only.

Bought it yesterday, I believe its a good one. Hopefully i dont think i will have to claim it.

I still have not moved in, which is due next week or so. I have asked the estate agent to tell me of the energy providers. Its been so much reading and looking for information that sometimes the brain feels tired
haa051810/12/2019 09:40

i managed to get a really good home insurance (building only) insurance …i managed to get a really good home insurance (building only) insurance for £82 with £100 excess only.Bought it yesterday, I believe its a good one. Hopefully i dont think i will have to claim it.I still have not moved in, which is due next week or so. I have asked the estate agent to tell me of the energy providers. Its been so much reading and looking for information that sometimes the brain feels tired

Do you still have to 'run it pass' your mortgage lender prior to taking a policy out for buildings insurance? Again, can you actually switch suppliers immediately upon moving?

Not sure a firm of estate agents will tell you about different energy providers and their tarrifs.
JimboParrot10/12/2019 09:58

Do you still have to 'run it pass' your mortgage lender prior to taking a …Do you still have to 'run it pass' your mortgage lender prior to taking a policy out for buildings insurance? Again, can you actually switch suppliers immediately upon moving?Not sure a firm of estate agents will tell you about different energy providers and their tarrifs.

Apologies if i was not clear.

The lender required to have a building insurance before moving, so thats done at £82/year for £100 excess.

I really want to switch suppliers on the date of moving or as soon as after moving.

I asked the agents to tell me of the current provider name and energy tariff details so i could see if its a good tariff or etc.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Its nearly 25 years since I purchased my house. I know they have to be insured by the buyer upon exchange of contracts, but didn't know if the lender still had to approve/be named on the documents?

As for new suppliers you might be able to get a deal set up with the existing ones?
Might also be worth checking out if you can get that emergency home cover that covers boilers etc. We picked up one for £50 for the year and saved more than that on the first year when our boiler went wrong.
You can actually start the process of switching energy companies before you move in, when we moved Scottish power took our move in date and started everything for us, you will still have to wait like 17 days or something for the switch to take place so make sure to take pictures of the metre readings when you move in and keep a note of the final readings you provide the existing companies.

i would recommend contents insurance and included accidental damage, the chances of something getting dropped or knocked off while moving and unpacking is extremely high, plus there is the rearranging to make things look better once you’ve unpacked. Accidents happen and it’s best to be protected
Wolfout10/12/2019 10:08

You can actually start the process of switching energy companies before …You can actually start the process of switching energy companies before you move in, when we moved Scottish power took our move in date and started everything for us, you will still have to wait like 17 days or something for the switch to take place so make sure to take pictures of the metre readings when you move in and keep a note of the final readings you provide the existing companies.i would recommend contents insurance and included accidental damage, the chances of something getting dropped or knocked off while moving and unpacking is extremely high, plus there is the rearranging to make things look better once you’ve unpacked. Accidents happen and it’s best to be protected

thanks but i am moving from one bedroom (shared accommodation) to a house, so i don't think there is any risk. and the property is a terraced property. i will look out for contents cover aswell. any idea how much it could cost? i paid £82 now for just building cover
haa051810/12/2019 10:12

thanks but i am moving from one bedroom (shared accommodation) to a house, …thanks but i am moving from one bedroom (shared accommodation) to a house, so i don't think there is any risk. and the property is a terraced property. i will look out for contents cover aswell. any idea how much it could cost? i paid £82 now for just building cover

It will depend on how much cover you want, I normally buy contents and building, but that’s for a house with a couple of lifetimes worth of possessions and several years no claims bonuses, so can’t really compare mine to yours but guess it would be less than your buildings cover, that is of course unless you have the Mona Lisa hanging on your wall
Wolfout10/12/2019 10:31

It will depend on how much cover you want, I normally buy contents and …It will depend on how much cover you want, I normally buy contents and building, but that’s for a house with a couple of lifetimes worth of possessions and several years no claims bonuses, so can’t really compare mine to yours but guess it would be less than your buildings cover, that is of course unless you have the Mona Lisa hanging on your wall

i will take a quote on that and see how different it is to just the building cover.
coming back to the energy, how would that work
We had Scottish power at our old house and when I phoned them they said they could start a new contract at the new property once a completion date / hand the keys over day was in place. Turned out they had the cheapest tariff at the time anyway so I called them once we new what day we would be moving in and they took over everything from there. You do need to know who currently provides the gas and electricity, it maybe two separate companies, as the company you choose has to notify them of the switch. It takes a couple weeks for the energy switch to happen anyway so you will be on the existing companies standard tariffs as soon as you move in as you won’t be on a contract
The same goes for your telephone & broadband, you can start that process once you have a completion date, we found that out the hard way, the people buying our house started the process to switch our telephone without our knowledge and we still had time on our contract so our phone company all of a sudden gave us a £300 bill as we were cancelling our contract and we were like WHAT, luckily the phone company were great and although they had to take the money as the bill and cancellation process had been generated they gave it right back, which is one of the reasons we stayed with them, that and they have always been the cheapest and had no issues
be ware of cashback sites, they often quote higher price via their links then if yoi went direct. in order to compensate for the cashback.
Sign up for MSE's energy club. They will sort you the best deal (obviously you choose which one from the list) but then they will advise you when you can save money by switching, and that includes any fees for leaving early. It's free to sign up and I've just saved a genuine £342 a year by switching.
First of all: Good luck in your new home, OP. I hope you find it to be fantastic and enjoy it.

My only 'tip' would be (and I'm sorry but it's a boring one!) to immediately locate your water stopcock. Try it and make sure it's free and can be opened/closed easily. It's your new home and you will be unfamiliar with it's workings. Therefore; in an emergency; the last thing you need is a STUCK stopcock. Especially this time of year where a pipe could burst...

All the best, Phsy.
Broadband depends on your location. ADSL generally is poor unless you're close to the exchange.
If you can get virgin media and a good deal with them, then go with them if you need faster internet.

As for energy, try the company that appeared on dragons den, they seem to be doing well. lookaftermybills.com/ they do all the work for you so you don't need to worry about anything.
thank you so much for the amazing information and wishes guys. Really helpful and uplifting.
found out that the meters are prepaid for both electric and gas, with the same supplier.
How do i find the cheapest supplier? and they will do through a credit check too, i just had a credit check for a mortgage, i hope the credit search will go through.

the moving date is before christmas, i dont know if everything will be possible. i don't think everything will be possible before christmas. however, regarding deals, i think its a great time because i maybe able to get some good deals on things such as broadband/fibre internet.
AMaky10/12/2019 11:25

be ware of cashback sites, they often quote higher price via their links …be ware of cashback sites, they often quote higher price via their links then if yoi went direct. in order to compensate for the cashback.

Do they I found the opposite is true went directly via Scottish power website as had seen a good cashback deal on Quidco like £70, but when I checked they had only about 3 tariffs real expensive, I rang Scottish power too ask if there website was broken or something as the comparison I got off mse uSwitch and energylinx all showed cheaper tarriffs and they said oh yeah the comparison sites have better deals than going directly with us as there's more competition.
I would suggest you ask the current occupier for any details they have on last year's gas and electric useage. It will give you a good budget figure as well as help you work out the best deal using some approximate numbers. Suppliers make it very difficult for you to compare them without some useage figures.
Once you move in get those prepaid meters replaced with normal meters. I researched all the utilites lately and came up with the following that was cheapest:

Bulb - cheaper tariff and got £30 credit via USwitch
Now TV - For Broadband and Telephone £18 month, can pay more for faster line but I dont need it
TV - Humax Freesat/Freeview Box and SAt Dish, in 2 room, free every month after installation - was paying Sky £60 a month, still get over 200 channels.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions