HELP - Any Electricians in the house? see photos

Help with circuitry needed please.
I'm installing a ceiling light in the bathroom and there seems to be a short somewhere.

Wires coming from ceiling:
5 Red
2 Brown
3 Black
1 Green/yellow

Wires coming from light:
2 Brown
1 Blue
1 Green

Sorry for the bad photos. Not sure where it's gone wrong.
Any help appreciated thanks.

19 Comments

Original Poster

Photos
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3319/dsc03368p.jpghttp://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7222/dsc03369of.jpg

Depends on the type of ceiling light...wiring may differ slightly depending on light (So check the installation guide)..if its a standard ceiling pendant then you should just have cables from the main supply, to the loop, from the switch, and from the lampholder itself.

Pictures are required..

Okay...just looked at the images, its just a standard pendant. Problem is, from what I can see of the pictures, the actual cores of the cables seem to be the same colour, (one should be black, one should be red), so you need to identify which is live/neutral before you can wire this...

Also, why arn't the earthing wires affixed to the grounding point in the pendant?

1ST PIC, the left hand side of your ceiling rose is neutral(blue wire on your new fitting)

the right hand side is the switch feed (brown cable on your new light fitting)

green/yellow is EARTH so green/yellow from your new fitting goes to that

the 2 brown cables going to neutral and swich feed should not be together as shown in your pic, they have used brown cable to extend the connections instead of a brown and blue cable :thumbsup:

Original Poster

xeroc;7350045

Also, why arn't the earthing wires affixed to the grounding point in the … Also, why arn't the earthing wires affixed to the grounding point in the pendant?

Not sure. The earth seems to just come direct from the ceiling. However I have a green wire sourced from the light fitting, so I can connect these two up?

transit;7350058

the 2 brown cables going to neutral and swich feed should not be together … the 2 brown cables going to neutral and swich feed should not be together as shown in your pic, they have used brown cable to extend the connections instead of a brown and blue cable :thumbsup:

So should I remove 1 of the brown wires from the circuit? and leave one either going to neutral or switch feed?

On a similar note: the wall light is also now not working, neither is the power shower switch light and the ceiling light in the other bedroom?

ele-font;7350111

So should I remove 1 of the brown wires from the circuit? and leave one … So should I remove 1 of the brown wires from the circuit? and leave one either going to neutral or switch feed?

separate them the left hand side 1 is your neutral(blue on your new fitting)
the right hand side 1 is your switch wire(brown on your new fitting)

if the cables on your new fitting on long enough just take your new cables into the ceiling rose and discard the 2 brown extensions:thumbsup:

Original Poster

transit;7350136

if the cables on your new fitting on long enough just take your new … if the cables on your new fitting on long enough just take your new cables into the ceiling rose and discard the 2 brown extensions:thumbsup:

Thats actually an idea, let me discard the 2 browns and try this.
Thanks so far :thumbsup:

diydata.com/pla…php

The above link should give some details of domestic ceiling rose wiiring.

Below is a simple diagram showing cables and connections you should have. If you have no other lights working in the circuit after the ceiling rose then I suspect you have not connected up the cable to the next light in the circuit.

http://www.diydata.com/planning/electric_lights/switch1.jpg

OP - The thing that worries me is this line:

"On a similar note: the wall light is also now not working, neither is the power shower switch light and the ceiling light in the other bedroom?"

Your power shower has to be on a dedicated line and not on a lighting circuit. If this is the case you really need to get a qualified electrician in.

martinhb;7350302

OP - The thing that worries me is this line:"On a similar note: the wall … OP - The thing that worries me is this line:"On a similar note: the wall light is also now not working, neither is the power shower switch light and the ceiling light in the other bedroom?"Your power shower has to be on a dedicated line and not on a lighting circuit. If this is the case you really need to get a qualified electrician in.

its because the rcd will have tripped at the consumer unit

ele-font;7350248

Thanks so far :thumbsup:

Will hang around until its sorted , i am a sparky btw

Original Poster

pugw$sh;7350255

http://www.diydata.com/planning/electric_lights/electric_lights.phpThe … http://www.diydata.com/planning/electric_lights/electric_lights.phpThe above link should give some details of domestic ceiling rose wiiring.

repped for the info thankyou

martinhb;7350302

Your power shower has to be on a dedicated line and not on a lighting … Your power shower has to be on a dedicated line and not on a lighting circuit. If this is the case you really need to get a qualified electrician in.

I'm having to change my power shower switch because it got burnt internally. I think it's due to this short circuity. Just trial and error at the moment until I end up having to call out.

transit;7350387

Will hang around until its sorted , i am a sparky btw

thanks. I might just have to pay you if it works :-D

Edit: right, the 2 brown extensions have been removed and ceiling fittings connected instead. However the the wall light is still not turning on and nor is the bedroom light.

As you can hopefully see in the photos of ceiling rose;
left hand side: I have 2 blacks inserted together, connected with the blue (from light fitting),
Middle: 4 reds, 2 of which are inserted together.
Right hand side: 1 red connected with the brown (from light fitting).
The earth is connected to the green (from light fitting).

Is this arrangement right/wrong? :thinking:

ele-font;7350723

As you can hopefully see in the photos of ceiling rose; left hand side: I … As you can hopefully see in the photos of ceiling rose; left hand side: I have 2 blacks inserted together, connected with the blue (from light fitting),Middle: 4 reds, 2 of which are inserted together.Right hand side: 1 red connected with the brown (from light fitting).The earth is connected to the green (from light fitting).Is this arrangement right/wrong? :thinking:

yes the arrangement is correct :thumbsup:

as regards to the other lights not working, check your consumer unit for any tripped out mcb's or rcd :thumbsup:

EDIT; i assume you have a newish consumer unit with mcb's and not the old type fuse wire ?

Original Poster

Oh wow! All lights are working now. Not sure what I did but slightly adjusted the above arrangement and voila! I'm officially a rookie electrician
Only thing now is the display in the electric shower is showing 'CS' in red and flashing.
Not sure what CS stands for, Clean shower? Anyhow that's enough electrician worries for one day :roll:
thanks everyone for the help!
Transit PM me your paypal, you have a gift waiting :-D

ele-font;7351350

Transit PM me your paypal, you have a gift waiting :-D

No need for any gifts, glad youre sorted !

happy christmas :santa:

transit;7351500

No need for any gifts, glad youre sorted !happy christmas :santa:

nice one transit, its nice to see there is folk still out there willing to help others :thumbsup:

Original Poster

transit;7351500

No need for any gifts, glad youre sorted !happy christmas :santa:

richp;7351657

nice one transit, its nice to see there is folk still out there willing … nice one transit, its nice to see there is folk still out there willing to help others :thumbsup:

+1
Thanks transit. Rep left.

Happy holidays!:santa:

transit;7350785

yes the arrangement is correct :thumbsup:as regards to the other lights … yes the arrangement is correct :thumbsup:as regards to the other lights not working, check your consumer unit for any tripped out mcb's or rcd :thumbsup:EDIT; i assume you have a newish consumer unit with mcb's and not the old type fuse wire ?

Something missing seems to be the third black wire, the one going to its own terminal block. Shouldn't this be connected with the other black wires?

Anyone want to fix my boiler?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GOT Leaks again415
    2. Stop everything, Nutella is bringing a biscuit snack to the market - Metro1312
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763948
    4. What an absolute disgrace2150

See more discussions