HELP - Been charged an admin fee by a car dealership I wasn't advised of. What do I do?

Found 9th Aug
Hi

I found a car for my daughter that I liked and I telephoned and agreed to put down an deposit of £250 which is refundable.

I've just been sent a receipt which has an admin fee of £99 added to it.

It is a main dealer, a very popular brand.

What do you guys I recommend I do? I am annoyed that this wasn't mentioned. If I like the car, should I try and include this in the sale price at the end? But if I don't how would I go about getting it all refunded?

It doesn't say it anywhere on the website and I was not advised of this!
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
If it’s VW/AUDI/BMW this is pretty normal for others it’s less normal.

If you have paid a deposit the receipt invoice will likely have the terms attached, you may have been emailed this. I’d suggest if you don’t want the car then complain and get the admin fee removed, if you’ve paid by credit card and they do not offer a refund then do a charge back through your card company.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Aug
cmdr_elito1 m ago

If it’s VW/AUDI/BMW this is pretty normal for others it’s less normal.If yo …If it’s VW/AUDI/BMW this is pretty normal for others it’s less normal.If you have paid a deposit the receipt invoice will likely have he terms attached, you may have been emailed this.

cmdr_elito1 m ago

If it’s VW/AUDI/BMW this is pretty normal for others it’s less normal.If yo …If it’s VW/AUDI/BMW this is pretty normal for others it’s less normal.If you have paid a deposit the receipt invoice will likely have he terms attached, you may have been emailed this.

Its VW/AUDI. No terms and conditions attached.
I’d suggest you call them and ask them what the additional charge is.

I’d suggest if you don’t want the car then complain and get the admin fee removed, if you’ve paid by credit card and they do not offer a refund then do a charge back through your card company.
email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for good professional car related advice. You will often get a reply in hours

In terms of law; if the fee was not CLEARLY stated, you have them under the Consumer Rights act 2015 which improves the on the old UCTA (think it was 77). If you paid on a credit card, you have recourse against the merchant as well.

On the other hand, what are you going to do if its the car you want?
Edited by: "ccnp" 9th Aug
ccnp3 m ago

email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for good professional car related advice. …email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for good professional car related advice. You will often get a reply in hoursIn terms of law; if the fee was not CLEARLY stated, you have them under the Consumer Rights act 2015 which improves the on the old UCTA (think it was 77). If you paid on a credit card, you have recourse against the merchant as well.On the other hand, what are you going to do if its the car you want?

If I do want the car, when I go see it. I will work to get that £100 in to the final price. It isn't advertised anywhere, and unfortunately I paid by debit card not credit...
ccnp6 m ago

email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for good professional car related advice. …email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for good professional car related advice. You will often get a reply in hoursIn terms of law; if the fee was not CLEARLY stated, you have them under the Consumer Rights act 2015 which improves the on the old UCTA (think it was 77). If you paid on a credit card, you have recourse against the merchant as well.On the other hand, what are you going to do if its the car you want?

Do you think I should wait until I've seen it in person, this Saturday?
ccnp8 m ago

Also the payment hasn't been taken from my bank account yet, and isn't showing in my pending payments. I think they sent me the receipt without doing the payment because it was just before closing, what can I do?
Just been on google and theres hundreds of forums on this, seems every dealership does it.
Caroline_199359 s ago

Just been on google and theres hundreds of forums on this, seems every …Just been on google and theres hundreds of forums on this, seems every dealership does it.

Yes but it's wrong that they don't mention it up front!
ccnp14 m ago

Sorry your wrong.
WestMidlands7 m ago

Also the payment hasn't been taken from my bank account yet, and isn't …Also the payment hasn't been taken from my bank account yet, and isn't showing in my pending payments. I think they sent me the receipt without doing the payment because it was just before closing, what can I do?

I would phone them up and ask about the admin fee and tell them to remove it
WestMidlands3 m ago

Yes but it's wrong that they don't mention it up front!

You wont have paid an admin fee. You have paid a deposit.

the admin fee will be paid if/when you go to the dealership and agree to purchase the car. They will explain it all in person.
Caroline_19931 m ago

You wont have paid an admin fee. You have paid a deposit. the admin fee …You wont have paid an admin fee. You have paid a deposit. the admin fee will be paid if/when you go to the dealership and agree to purchase the car. They will explain it all in person.

Please see inbox
Caroline_19933 m ago

You wont have paid an admin fee. You have paid a deposit. the admin fee …You wont have paid an admin fee. You have paid a deposit. the admin fee will be paid if/when you go to the dealership and agree to purchase the car. They will explain it all in person.

That's beginning to make sense, but please help me clarify it.
Caroline_19938 m ago

Just been on google and theres hundreds of forums on this, seems every …Just been on google and theres hundreds of forums on this, seems every dealership does it.

Thanks for info
WestMidlands23 m ago

Please see inbox

Ive replied. Dont worry you havnt been charged an admin fee
If it’s the one I am thinking about they can be tough to deal with and it’s quite common, however earlier in the year in my annoyance of not getting answers from a particular dealership I emailed their CEO and got a reply within the hour. Didn’t buy from them anyway, read the reviews and past history of them and gave it a miss. Use the site below to get their CEO email it’s really best customer service team and not their actual...

oh and name them here!

ceoemail.com/

it could be another dealership which many on here like, they do charge an admin fee but that’s easy to not have to pay, this place includes a HPI check, valet, service and number plates but since all if that’s already done to the car you can just say no.
Edited by: "eslick" 9th Aug
Caroline_19939 h, 12 m ago

So the receipt which states - 'deposit £250 and admin fee £99' is wrong?
chocci2 h, 7 m ago

So the receipt which states - 'deposit £250 and admin fee £99' is wrong?

On inbox, the op states receipt says
car price
admin fee

Then at the bottom of receipt it states customer deposit £250 which is the amount the cusomer has paid.

the £99 admin fee will be paid only if the op decides to purchase the car. If op would have purchased the car in pricnciple over the phone then the dealership would have advised the op of the admin fee over the phone.

If the op visits the dealership and again agrees to purchase the car, then the admin fee will be told about in person.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants