Help before I throw my computer out the window

Found 2nd Oct 2008
I need some help - I am absolutely useless with computers.

My internet is constantly disconnecting and takes about an hour to reconnect. I keep getting the message "the remote computer did not respond". When it does reconnect it shows an internet speed of around 2.0 Mbps whereas usually it is 6.4.

Is it my modem or is it Pipex causing the problems or is it something else?

1. Misc
  2. Windows
29 Comments

Banned

how long has this been going on for? just today or a while now?

Original Poster

It has been happening all the time since last night but before that it would happen occasionally, i.e. once a week or so

Have you tried calling your ISP to see if there's a problem with the connection ?
If there's not at least you will know it's your computer & go from there.:)
I'm with Tiscali & from time to time this happens with them ... really annoying!!:x

Sounds more likely that it is a problem with Pipex or perhaps the modem/router than your computer, I'd check their website to see if there are any service problems listed, and possibly give them a call if not. Its worth resetting the modem, and make sure that all the cables/filters are properly connected (including the filters for telephones if its ADSL...)

Yes allways try turning off the power to your modem for 30 seconds then back on some times they can mess around

Original Poster

snowtiger;3098115

Have you tried calling your ISP to see if there's a problem with the … Have you tried calling your ISP to see if there's a problem with the connection ?If there's not at least you will know it's your computer & go from there.:)I'm with Tiscali & from time to time this happens with them ... really annoying!!:x

Apparently there are no problems with the connection at the moment.

jah128;3098206

Sounds more likely that it is a problem with Pipex or perhaps the … Sounds more likely that it is a problem with Pipex or perhaps the modem/router than your computer, I'd check their website to see if there are any service problems listed, and possibly give them a call if not. Its worth resetting the modem, and make sure that all the cables/filters are properly connected (including the filters for telephones if its ADSL...)

Yep I have done all that - they have suggested the fact that I keep the modem on top of the pc might be the problem, so I have moved it and will see what happens :thinking:

snootin;3098244

Yes allways try turning off the power to your modem for 30 seconds then … Yes allways try turning off the power to your modem for 30 seconds then back on some times they can mess around

Done around 20 times this morning :?

Banned

maybe your network card? x

Original Poster

salder21;3098282

maybe your network card? x

Now you know how stupid I am with pc's - what the hell is that when its at home? I don't have any cards in it

Banned

the one in your computer that the network cable plugs in to.

or are you using wireless?

I could help by holding the window open for you :? heehee....

What set up are you using? Laptop, desktop? Wireless, cable?

Banned

if its cable it could be an issue with DHCP, i could talk to you on msn and talk you through setting a static IP address to see if that helps

Original Poster

You are gonna get stressed with me now - what's a network cable? :oops: is it the one from the modem

Ohh I know that one - nope not wireless

Banned

ill be on msn in a min ;-)

Original Poster

birdyboyuk;3098315

I could help by holding the window open for you :? heehee....What set up … I could help by holding the window open for you :? heehee....What set up are you using? Laptop, desktop? Wireless, cable?

Yeah if I get a good shot it will go straight in the river :x

Err desktop I think - I did say I was useless :oops:

salder21;3098339

ill be on msn in a min ;-)

Thanks Sal :thumbsup:

Does your phone work okay? I had a problem in an old house where the cable going to the house had been damaged a bit and the line was very noisy, which caused similar problems with my modem... - but you could hear that the phone line was a lot noisier/'clickier' than before.

Original Poster

jah128;3098372

Does your phone work okay? I had a problem in an old house where the … Does your phone work okay? I had a problem in an old house where the cable going to the house had been damaged a bit and the line was very noisy, which caused similar problems with my modem... - but you could hear that the phone line was a lot noisier/'clickier' than before.

Yeah!!!! I am having problems with my phone, can never hear people on it properly and have to disconnect from the net to make/take a call to make it a bit clearer

Banned

have you had your phone line checked? also have you tried changing your filters

fireheaven;3098441

Yeah!!!! I am having problems with my phone, can never hear people on it … Yeah!!!! I am having problems with my phone, can never hear people on it properly and have to disconnect from the net to make/take a call to make it a bit clearer

Sounds concerning - are the filters definitely installed correctly (you should have little filters which plug into the phone line a separate the ADSL signal and the telephone signal - the modem and all phones (including those on extensions) must be connected through a filter.

That said if its only a recent problem I wonder if the phone cable has got damaged or something - you could get BT to do a fault test on the line but they might charge if they have to call out on engineer :roll:

EDIT - :giggle: Or exactly what sassie said in a third of the time it took me to write that!

jah128;3098491

Sounds concerning - are the filters definitely installed correctly (you … Sounds concerning - are the filters definitely installed correctly (you should have little filters which plug into the phone line a separate the ADSL signal and the telephone signal - the modem and all phones (including those on extensions) must be connected through a filter. That said if its only a recent problem I wonder if the phone cable has got damaged or something - you could get BT to do a fault test on the line but they might charge if they have to call out on engineer :roll:EDIT - :giggle: Or exactly what sassie said in a third of the time it took me to write that!

Bless your little cotton socks :roll: :whistling:

Banned

If you dial 150 from another phone (obviously not home phone) and do a line test, it will check your line and let you know if there is a fault on the line, it will disconnect form the interent whilst checking

Definitely sounds like a filter problem, if you get a crackling sound on the line or it is unclear when talking to people.

Replace the filters 1st, then make sure you have a filter on every phone point in the house (even the ones where the ADSL is not plugged in). The filter must be direct in to the wall socket and not in to any extension's.
e.g.
[BT Socket ] \-[phone]

If that doesn't help download this file techmonkeys.co.uk/dow…bat (right click and Save As) save it to your desktop then run it.

When it finishes, have a look in My Computer > Local Disk (c:) and then find a file called NetInfo, open it and copy the contents here.

This file will run some basic tests to see if your losing complete internet connection or are having DNS issues.

If you like PM me when your done so I remember to check back in this thread (I get a little side tracked at times)

Banned

how did you get on?

Original Poster

Thanks for your time and effort S - I will try and return the favour sometime :friends::friends:

I have an ongoing issue with my connection. It is an intermittent thing so when they get around to checking it has never showed up. But lo and behold it occurs again anything up to a week later. I am pig sick now of the support lines as although I well understand they have to run through a series of questions they do not take account of previous history. I have found that when I am experiencing probs there is sometimes a slight or more prononounced crackle on the telephone. Good luck in getting yours sorted.

Sounds like the mains plug/adaptor has gone bust :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I changed the filters this morning when I couldn't connect and I have followed Sassie's advice and got my line checked - BT said it was fine.

Anyway Salder showed the patience of a saint and talked me through all sorts of stuff and since then I have had a full speed connection :thumbsup:

WoolyM - BT suggested to me to take the front off the main phone socket and there are two sockets in there, one is a test socket. They advised plugging a phone into each of these and checking the dial tone

Banned

fireheaven;3101485

Thanks for all the advice guys.I changed the filters this morning when I … Thanks for all the advice guys.I changed the filters this morning when I couldn't connect and I have followed Sassie's advice and got my line checked - BT said it was fine.Anyway Salder showed the patience of a saint and talked me through all sorts of stuff and since then I have had a full speed connection :thumbsup:WoolyM - BT suggested to me to take the front off the main phone socket and there are two sockets in there, one is a test socket. They advised plugging a phone into each of these and checking the dial tone

:oops: lol xx

I have had my main socket open for ages now and am plugged in to the point where connection enters house. I am convinced that there is a naff piece of kit that external to my property that I engage every so often.
Thanks for suggestions though.....

Original Poster

salder21;3101590

:oops: lol xx

Don't be so modest, you did something, I don't know what and you gave up hours of your time - its appreciated :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text