Groups

HELP - blown picture chip!

The picture chip on my computer has blown (according to an IT guy that came round to try and fix my computer) and I have been told it would be cheaper to just buy a new computer. If it has blown can it be fixed? And is it really that expensive?

Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated!

18 Comments

A picture chip?.. wtf?

Is its a graphics card I presume?, whats the specs of the computer?

Original Poster

Yeah - I guess he meant graphics card. My dad relayed the information to me as my computer as it home whilst I am at uni. Can't remember the specs but it cost about £700 from Dell in Dec 2005. Sorry I can't be more help!

I think your Dad needs to get a new IT guy not computer.

You can get a pretty good card for under £100 or an ok one for about £50.

They are a piece of cake to fit and I am sure with your PC being a few years old you could get the equivilient card cheaply.

stufai

Can't remember the specs but it cost about £700 from Dell in Dec 2005. … Can't remember the specs but it cost about £700 from Dell in Dec 2005. Sorry I can't be more help!

Its not exactly that old then, So I wouldn't say a computer is worth thinking about just yet.

depends what the pc is used for though, if its just for internet/email/low end games, an alright graphics card can be picked up for around £30.

You'd need to find out if its got an PCI-E slot or AGP though.

Given me a good laugh, this thread. Perhaps the IT guy should become a mechanic 'you're headlight bulb is gone, it's going to be cheaper to buy a new car'! Seriously though, this or pretty much any forum tends to have many knowledgeable PC users happy to offer advice. If I can't sort out somthing from googling it, I always turn to forums for help. As long as you're polite and show you've tried to solve the problem yourself, there'll be someone to help you.

I wouldnt know the answer to this though i can ask my OH when he comes home hes IT trainer. He would know, thats if im speaking to him by then! LOL

Picture chip???
    I think i know your IT bloke....
    http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1174237/photo_02.jpg
    Graphics cards are easy enough to change/upgrade if that's what he means.

Banned

I've got no Idea what a picture chip is, suppose he must mean the gfx card.

Just check that it's not an onboard one before rushing out and buying an AGP, PCI/E or PCI.

If it is a seperate card, plug into the onboard gfx instead (if present) and then try booting. If that works you can use the system until you get a new card.

To be fare we don't know if the engineer said that it was a 'picture chip'. someone else has passed the message on.

Even if it is an onboard/intragated graphics card/chip. You should be able to disable it and add a add on graphics card.

I wouldn't trust any IT guy that calls it a "picture chip".

Don't know what folks here are telling Sufai to buy a new graphics card for - do you really trust the diagnostic skills of the gibbon who decided it was a blown graphics chip and that the best fix was to buy a new system?

Sufai - are you or your dad going to be around the system any time soon? If so, drop me a PM, and I'll walk you through the troubleshooting steps to work out what's wrong, and what we can do to fix it. I'm an ex-Dell employee and hold a dozen Dell Certified System Engineer certifications, so I'll hope to be a little more helpful than that other tech.

The computer is a dell 5150c and i was wondering because the dodgy computer guy said that it was like in the main circuit board? are there graphics chips which are part of the circuit board or can i just buy a new graphics chip?

if anybody knows which type of graphics chip i would need for this model that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

So its an intergrated graphics card then? Now I'm not sure if you can get a separate graphics card or not, I'm sure someone will know though.

XtremeDJW

So its an intergrated graphics card then? Now I'm not sure if you can get … So its an intergrated graphics card then? Now I'm not sure if you can get a separate graphics card or not, I'm sure someone will know though.

You can - you just have to disable on board graphics in the BIOS...

If there are problems with on board graphics and it's definitely a hardware problem the system board will need to be replaced.

Sweet Jesus...

Dimmerchant, Sufai - before you go buying new motherboards / new graphic cards / new printer / whatever else the monkeys here recommend, to save my sanity and reaffirm some sort of faith in rational thinking, can you please describe what's actually wrong with the system? I'm not doubting that a new motherboard / a new graphics card / a new set of speakers would fix the issue, but as a professional tech, it drives me mad that anyone could reach that conclusion without knowing anything at all about the actual problem.

Tell me,

- What's the actual problem with the system? What does and what does it not do?
    - When did the problem start? Did anything happen when it started?
    - What colour is the power button LED light?
    - The four little diagnostic LEDs you'll find on either the front or the back of the system, what colour are they, and are they all turned on or are some of them off?
    - Does the system beep?
    - Does it even power up to begin with? Do fans spin? Does anything appear onscreen?
    - What's the service tag / serial number on the system?
    - Do you know what diagnostic steps the tech took when he came out?

If you can tell me these things, we'll be a step nearer to working out what's wrong with the system, and how it can be fixed.

dxx

Sweet Jesus...Dimmerchant, Sufai - before you go buying new motherboards … Sweet Jesus...Dimmerchant, Sufai - before you go buying new motherboards / new graphic cards / new printer / whatever else the monkeys here recommend, to save my sanity and reaffirm some sort of faith in rational thinking, can you please describe what's actually wrong with the system? I'm not doubting that a new motherboard / a new graphics card / a new set of speakers would fix the issue, but as a professional tech, it drives me mad that anyone could reach that conclusion without knowing anything at all about the actual problem.Tell me,- What's the actual problem with the system? What does and what does it not do? - When did the problem start? Did anything happen when it started?- What colour is the power button LED light?- The four little diagnostic LEDs you'll find on either the front or the back of the system, what colour are they, and are they all turned on or are some of them off?- Does the system beep?- Does it even power up to begin with? Do fans spin? Does anything appear onscreen?- What's the service tag / serial number on the system?- Do you know what diagnostic steps the tech took when he came out?If you can tell me these things, we'll be a step nearer to working out what's wrong with the system, and how it can be fixed.

Hey less of the monkeys :x

Banned

dimmerchant

The computer is a dell 5150c and i was wondering because the dodgy … The computer is a dell 5150c and i was wondering because the dodgy computer guy said that it was like in the main circuit board? are there graphics chips which are part of the circuit board or can i just buy a new graphics chip?if anybody knows which type of graphics chip i would need for this model that would be much appreciated.Thanks

Yep, there is a chip on the motherboard that controls the display, instead of a seperate card.
    The graphics chip is Intel 945G based on that motherboard, I think.

you wouldn't be able to replace the onboard chip tho'

You should have a PCI Express gfx card on that model, may be worth borrowing a card off a friend to see if it will work, if you don't already have one installed.
    Only catch is getting into the BIOS, if it is set to boot to onboard gfx only. But it is possible to change it even without seeing the display on screen.

A pic of the motherboard & back of the machine would be handy.

Banned

Agree with ya there Stora

Somebody needs a little chillout time :giggle:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Find out how good your GP surgery is44
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259

See more discussions