Groups

HELP! Boiler Problem

Hello,

Just noticed that that flame on my boiler in the kitchen has gone out, I noticed it after touching one of the radiators & realising it was going cold.

I have a Potterton Prima boiler.

I don't know what to do.....seriously!

16 Comments

quick google:

There is a hole underneath the boiler that if you stick your finger in you will find a button that you press to light the pilot light..
    It should then flash up and start heating up etc.

Taken from another forum ]here
    "Firstly this boiler does not have a permanent pilot light. It lights the gas when it needs to!
    It is a very simple boiler and if there is a call for heat from the system then all the other faults are likely to be gas or safety related and will need a CORGI registered engineer.
    There is an overheat stat which you can push up to reset. Its underneath the boiler very close to the control knob.
    Its unlikely to have tripped though but you can check it before calling the CORGI !"
    My comments: I would check that no wiring has come loose or that no fuse has tripped. And that you've got gas (hob working ok?) Also that you haven't had a powercut which has knocked the timeclock out of kilter.

Depending on the model. It may have a reset button which is accessible behind a pull out flap panel on the front. Press this for few seconds until you see te pilt flame re-ignite.

Original Poster

Hi, thanks guys.

I'd tried the reset button & it didn't need resetting. It seems I still may have hot water but the radiators arn't heating up.

So i've turned it all off & going to leave it for an hour. Just nipping out to get a heater from Asda if they have any!

I'll be happy with hot water, those long hot showers come in handy when it's freezing!! And who knows, I may save some cash on my gas bill (though likely to pay for an engineer!!)

Good foum for heating/boiler problems at diynot.com/for…ms/ .

If boiler is firing up and water is hot but heating is not then may be a problem with the tank/or pumps rather than the boiler itself.

Possible diverter valve problem. This is a valve that diverts flow between HW and CH.

Banned

Happened to me last week....... Hot water ok, central heating cold. So i changed the Potterton Myson Priority Actuator. (costed me £40 ) All is ok now.

Hi other simple checks
    timeclock set right ie on auto
    room stat turned up
    enough water pressure

Original Poster

Siddy;4298035

Hi other simple checkstimeclock set right ie on autoroom stat turned … Hi other simple checkstimeclock set right ie on autoroom stat turned upenough water pressure

Hello, when you say enough water pressure, I bled the radiators on Monday, could it be that or is that just a coincidence? :?

check the meter and should be about 1.5 bar for a 2 floor house.

Original Poster

jjcaho;4297794

Happened to me last week....... Hot water ok, central heating cold. So i … Happened to me last week....... Hot water ok, central heating cold. So i changed the Potterton Myson Priority Actuator. (costed me £40 ) All is ok now.

Say what now!?

Where do I locate that? Is it something I could try myself?

Obviously i don't want to try too much, not being a CORGI & all.....

should be a meter on the boiler in view somewhere.

2nd thoughts if it isn't a sealed system in the loft you may have a small tank with a over flow back into it. this is on older systems

Original Poster

Siddy;4298159

should be a meter on the boiler in view somewhere.2nd thoughts if it … should be a meter on the boiler in view somewhere.2nd thoughts if it isn't a sealed system in the loft you may have a small tank with a over flow back into it. this is on older systems

Hi, there's no meter on the boiler, all I have it a knob (!!) to turn from 0 to Max & no other buttons, other than the reset.

I think my water meter is outside, I don't think I can get to it. So, if it has an overflow, can I try anything? My boiler wa installed when the house was built in 1996.....

should b a sealed system around that time. did u check thermostat and time clock.

Just check potterton site and can't see the instruction book for faults.

Original Poster

Siddy;4298416

should b a sealed system around that time. did u check thermostat and … should b a sealed system around that time. did u check thermostat and time clock.Just check potterton site and can't see the instruction book for faults.

Yeah, checked those.

I'm going to leave it off overnight (as normal) & see if it comes on in the morning.

Thankyou so much for your help, really appreciated.

Repped ya! :thumbsup:

Banned

Should be located near your hot water tank. Its easy to change , just a few wires (i think about 5 wires)
    just make sure you turn off the house electricity before you start just incase.
    Best way is to take one wire out and put the new wire in , matching the same colour ~ just like changing a new plug.
    No gas or plumbing required.
    If you not sure get a electrician should not take more than half an hour max.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      3. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      4. Apples new update610

See more discussions