Help: Bought fake tablet on ebay

Found 26th Apr
Sorry, another ebay query

I bought a tablet on ebay for £64.99 that has been faked to have much higher specs than it actually has. eg. 1gb ram, not 4gb, much lower res screen, slower processor etc. Basically a total lie.

I want a full refund. The buyer after a few days only offered 10gbp back which is just an insult

I want to open a dispute with ebay but I just go round in circles on the site. The only option ebay gives me is to return the item. But why should I do that? It is fake so seller would just sell again. Plus I would pay postage. All ebays help pages just end up back at the return item page

There's no point of contacting the seller again

Any help please?
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
why would you want to keep it anyway if its fake? paypal will cover postage fees i think still they do like 10 free returns a year up to £15
You should return it and ask buyer pay the return postage.
They should give you full refund once they got the item.
It's not a fake as such as it's a tablet, so it's not a counterfeit you can destroy to get a refund from PayPal on so you will have to return it for a refund as it's not as described.
Return the item, if the seller refunds you in full it’s not yours to keep. The contract to refund incorporates the return of the tablet. PayPal offers free postage on returns.
It might leave a bitter taste in your mouth, but to resolve the problem just return it and if possible leave bad feedback
Return under the complaint of " not as described " the seller has already admitted such by offering a refund of sorts.
Learn a lesson and stop using the auction site for paupers.
Return it with the satisfaction of leaving bad feedback. Or do you want to keep it? Its make your mind up time!
You can agree on a partial refund with the seller.

If you want to open a case, you'll get a full refund but you must send the item back first.

@Cisco06060@Toptrumpet@jjmmww1 if you request a return because the item isn't as described the seller is charged for the postage. You'll get a prepaid label to use for the return. Can't claim return postage refunds from PayPal if you open a case with eBay and anyway no need to as postage in these instances is covered by sellers.

PayPal and eBay aren't the same company anymore. Always open a case on eBay if the item was bought on eBay. You don't have to pay for the returns if the item's not as described (unlike with PayPal where you pay and then have to claim for a refund on the postage after) and it takes a lot less time to have a refund.

Sorry it's not what you were hoping for.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th Apr
Return it reason item not as described just hit return button on eBay it will guide you
Go to your ebay and select Purchase History. Select the item and on the right hand side is a blue box RETURN THIS ITEM.

Select the "doesn't match description or photos" option.
33701691-tUos9.jpg
In the box, just simply say, item isn't Xgb but is Ygb (don't waffle and just add the numbers that are relevant).

The seller will then have 8 days to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

If they don't refund or give you a prepaid label to return it, you can escalate the case on the 8th day (to the minute).

eBay will send you a prepaid label, paid for by the seller and give instructions on how and where to return.

You will get your refund within 6 days of it being delivered back to the seller.

Edit - DO NOT CLOSE the case without a resolution. DO NOT argue or get into a debate with the seller. DO NOT say it is fake as eBay may ask for evidence.
Edited by: "windym" 26th Apr
Try PayPal. Better than eBay. They just side with the seller. If you have all correspondence etc. Go through PayPal
Thanks for all the advise. It seems wrong that the seller can stay on the site basically committing fraud. I will return and he will just resell it to another unsuspecting person. They might not realise it is fake unless they are technical

There's plenty of these tablets still on ebay and not just from this seller and he has even slightly reduced the price

I'll see what happens with the return
dorey6911 m ago

Try PayPal. Better than eBay. They just side with the seller. If you have …Try PayPal. Better than eBay. They just side with the seller. If you have all correspondence etc. Go through PayPal

No way to that I can see. Paypal just direct you back to ebay
Out of interest, was it a seller based in China? As that would complicate the returns and refund process somewhat!

There is no realistic way to get a seller kicked off eBay though, as far as I know - just look at all the thousands of fake flash memory products for sale. eBay know all about them, but are happy to let people keep falling victim to fraud as long as they get their cut.
Seller is China based I think but pretending to be in UK. (Is there anything not fake lol)

Tablet did come pretty quickly though and from UK I think although I didn't look that closely at the packaging

I'll report back with what happens.

Just be careful if you are looking at any generic Chinese tablets/phones on ebay
Report the listing. Report the seller.

That's all you can do.

Return the tablet and get your refund. You'll have no problems getting it if you follow the procedure.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th Apr
Op, right at the very bottom of the listing on the left hand side should be the sellers details, if it shows a Chinese address it should also show a VAT no. If it doesn’t then you should report them to eBay for portraying themselves as a uk company and avoiding tax which eBay is supposed to be clamping down on such sellers
dorey692 h, 16 m ago

Try PayPal. Better than eBay. They just side with the seller. If you have …Try PayPal. Better than eBay. They just side with the seller. If you have all correspondence etc. Go through PayPal

PayPal claim isn't the best option with an eBay purchase. If anything eBay tends to favour buyers!

No prepaid label and longer times for a refund.

He'd have to call to open a claim in this case and you can't claim with both eBay and PayPal at the same time.

He will get a refund easily. It's a straightforward case.
Toptrumpet41 m ago

Op, right at the very bottom of the listing on the left hand side should …Op, right at the very bottom of the listing on the left hand side should be the sellers details, if it shows a Chinese address it should also show a VAT no. If it doesn’t then you should report them to eBay for portraying themselves as a uk company and avoiding tax which eBay is supposed to be clamping down on such sellers

Actually it does show a Chinese address and VAT number. Something I'll watch out for in future
Why not just call PayPal support and ask for advice. They've always been great when I needed help.
I just remembered I was at the airport on Monday and in the security queue the staff were saying "laptops and tablets out of your bags please" and this couple next to me started taking their pills out of their bags assuming they meant those tablets.

Totally off topic.
Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. Either pay for a better tablet or enjoy the one you have. Android tablets are not optimised for all apps anyway, unless you buy a high end model you will have problems with cheap devices as they won’t run all apps.
The_IMF27th Apr

I just remembered I was at the airport on Monday and in the security queue …I just remembered I was at the airport on Monday and in the security queue the staff were saying "laptops and tablets out of your bags please" and this couple next to me started taking their pills out of their bags assuming they meant those tablets.Totally off topic.

when i read headlines and thought there meant tablets too, my grandma gets confused too
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants