Groups

Help buying a new sofa

Hi Guys - just seeking advice / any suggestions if you can help.

Last year i purchased a sofa from SCS and to be honest i made an error in buying fabric when i wished i had bought leather (the fabric sofa we got has lost its shape)
    Anyway we have recently decorated and weve decided to go for a different look so we have decided we would like to buy 2 x leather recliner chairs and a 2 seater leather sofa.
    My budget is around £900 (times are hard!!) - anyway ive seen on the argos site they are doing a range called "phoenix recliner chair" and they do a matching 2 seather sofa - in black which is the colour were after.
    Im just checking has anyone bought a sofa from argos before and whats the quality like????
    I like the price argos are offering but i dont like the idea of buying something straight from the catalogue as i prefer to browse as in a shop environment. - last thing i want to find out is the sofa is soft and will loose its shape after a few months just like my last one has.

15 Comments

Banned

not sure i can help-but i bought two sofas from argos just over four years ago, they were on ofer, buy one get one free. think they were called venice, for about £450 (2 x2 seaters). they are choc brown leather, my budget was very tight-just moved in with my hubby etc etc.
    they have had alot of use to them, and are still in fab condition. wear and tear due to a lively family, we do need to buy bigger but ours are in fab nick really. i would def recommend in getting an argos sofa again. even cheap ish ones

also tesco seems to be having some really good discounts lately-i did notice that they had black recliners in the sale. there is a voucher floating around for an extra 5000 clubcard points too

my sofa hasnt loat shape-but are only 2 seaters. still plump like new-no sagging or leather ripping. the leather right at the front were youd sit (under the knees/thighs) has just started to "flake" but due to excessive use.

Personally, I would be banging on SCS's door complaining about the quality of the stuff.....1 year old

A letter to head office with some photos should get some sort of response. I would expect a sofa to last at least 5 yrs. I know thay are not guaranteed that long these days but that would not stop me arguing my point.

Have been looking at new sofas (mine is 12 yrs old) but cannot see anything I like (M&S). Old sofas still in great condition, just the fabric that is faded / grubby. Still has kept it's shape, so now looking into getting it recovered

have a look in the smaller shops in your town, we have a place in my town that sell all the same stuff BHS for a quarter of the price BHS sell them for. this is the suite ive got for £599 1 x 3 seater & 2 x chairs. I bought mine when they were still full price in BHS
    bhs.co.uk/mal…928

The prob with leather is they are so cold in the winter and sweaty in the summer if its hot..

OP do you have a Next Clearance store near you. We have one and they always have suites on offer for ridiculously low prices. Leather and also fabric

Original Poster

Hi -

Bossyboots - yes i have a next clearance at Doncaster i will check that one out.
    Vinylandtrinkets- thats a really good deal you got, was that 599 just for the sofa or for everything with the sofa and 2 x chairs???
    Im wanting recliner leather chairs to treat myself to abit of laid back luxuary when the footy is on !!!

grimm6

The prob with leather is they are so cold in the winter and sweaty in the … The prob with leather is they are so cold in the winter and sweaty in the summer if its hot..

Bit like my wife......

hurry - DFS have a sale on.... ends soon!

nick1981

Hi -Bossyboots - yes i have a next clearance at Doncaster i will check … Hi -Bossyboots - yes i have a next clearance at Doncaster i will check that one out.Vinylandtrinkets- thats a really good deal you got, was that 599 just for the sofa or for everything with the sofa and 2 x chairs???Im wanting recliner leather chairs to treat myself to abit of laid back luxuary when the footy is on !!!

the £599 was for the suite settee and chairs, i couldnt believe my luck, He told us he buys them from the same place as BHS in bulk ( huge containers full) and then sells them so he still makes 100% profit so think how much mark up stores like BHS put on them! makes you mad dont it
    the store is a little family run place, even delivered next day for us, and when i found a nick on one of the chairs i phoned him and he was here the next day with a new chair.

we bought our first leather settees from DFS and never again. they last 4 years and were worn out by the time we got rid of them, we dont have pets just one child and they were cleaned with leather cleaner twice a week. we paid over £2000 for them

Original Poster

Ok you really have got me interested now !!... do you have any contact details for this place you speak of???

I will seriously try them - however i live in Yorkshire, not sure where you are/if they would deliver to Yorkshire.

Have two leather sofas from argos had them for about 7years getting a bit tired now sagging where sat on the most but have been fab and would buy from again.

nick1981

Ok you really have got me interested now !!... do you have any contact … Ok you really have got me interested now !!... do you have any contact details for this place you speak of???I will seriously try them - however i live in Yorkshire, not sure where you are/if they would deliver to Yorkshire.

im looking for the phone number. they will be in tomorrows paper if you pm me you email address i can email you the page

sent you a pm hun

we bought leather reclining sofas from argos. had them for over two years, not a problem with them. still in very good condition. bought the leather cleaning kit from argos too.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?34209
      2. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1213
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …90154
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30115

See more discussions