Help buying laptops

Posted 8th Nov
I'm totally rubbish at stuff like this , I need two laptops for my kids for Christmas, will be used for school work and gaming I'm not really wanting to pay more than £500 each

Any suggestions?? Before I go completely crazy
Community Updates

Groups

17 Comments
Hi UBQ. I would suggest posting this question in "Ask" as you'll get more views and therefore more answers.

There are lots of people asking the exact same question, quite regularly! You should be able to get a nice spec laptop on your budget but as you say "gaming" then that makes quite a difference to just normal 'computing' use.

Gaming machines need to be quite powerful - especially to run the latest games. If you know the sort of games they are/will be playing, then mention them in the post as this will help anyone replying.

All the best, Phsy.
As said above, this is a question that gets asked fairly often. If you type Laptop in the search box and look at Discussions you can see some threads just recently asking for advice on a laptop for a child to do some gaming on. Those will be a good place to start as you might get some ideas.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 8th Nov
Avoid Curry's their warranty and after sales is useless . Ok to use a guide price though
Thanks for the replies I didn't realise I'd posted in the wrong place.
uglybeautyqueen08/11/2019 19:19

Thanks for the replies I didn't realise I'd posted in the wrong place.

No problem. Easy to do. Most people keep an eye on the "Misc" and "Ask" threads = wider audience! Haha.

Good luck with your laptop searching. You'll get some very knowledgeable people on here who can help you, I'm sure.
When you mentioned gaming, what games are you talking about?

If you are talking about AAA games like Call of duty etc and want them to have laptops you will need to nearly double your budget per laptop. If you want to buy a desktop computer you will get more power for less money, say £600-700 per device will ensure they can play decent games.

Have a look on awd-it at the pc packages

If they only want to play stuff like solitaire and really old games then your budget will probably be ok.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Nov
Buy a ps4 or xbox is the best advice, so many parents post the same thing all the time, children ask for them because mates have them etc and parents who are not into computing dont realise just to get a laptop that will perform as good as a ps4/xbox your looking at £700 easy, then in a few years it wont be good enough to play new games, makes no sense unless you plan on buying a £1000-£2000 setup
Mark_Hickman08/11/2019 21:14

Buy a ps4 or xbox is the best advice, so many parents post the same thing …Buy a ps4 or xbox is the best advice, so many parents post the same thing all the time, children ask for them because mates have them etc and parents who are not into computing dont realise just to get a laptop that will perform as good as a ps4/xbox your looking at £700 easy, then in a few years it wont be good enough to play new games, makes no sense unless you plan on buying a £1000-£2000 setup

They already have both of them, it's mostly for school work it'll be used for but both of them are wanting to use it for gaming too
cmdr_elito08/11/2019 20:02

When you mentioned gaming, what games are you talking about?If you are …When you mentioned gaming, what games are you talking about?If you are talking about AAA games like Call of duty etc and want them to have laptops you will need to nearly double your budget per laptop. If you want to buy a desktop computer you will get more power for less money, say £600-700 per device will ensure they can play decent games.Have a look on awd-it at the pc packagesIf they only want to play stuff like solitaire and really old games then your budget will probably be ok.

Ermmm, what ever games are on steam sorry I'm totally rubbish when it comes to stuff like this. Unfortunately a desk top isn't something we have room for. I had a feeling it would have to be more that £500 but I really didn't want to go over that budget, maybe I'll get lucky over black Friday/cyber Monday
uglybeautyqueen08/11/2019 21:27

They already have both of them, it's mostly for school work it'll be used …They already have both of them, it's mostly for school work it'll be used for but both of them are wanting to use it for gaming too

Best getting a good spec non gaming laptop deal for school etc and sticking to ps4/xbox its no different unless you have a £1200 setup to get higher frame rates.
Theres a fantastic deal on at the moment, acer aspire 5 ryzen 5 laptop for £399, its been on hotukdeals for days, at that price its great spec everything else that spec is £500+ it also has built in vega graphics which will allow them to game but it wont be any better than ps4 or xbox, in many games worse, or theres a gaming laptop just posted a few hours ago for £550 from very which will be almost on par with xbox and ps4 roughly, it has an onboard graphics card but nothing spectacular but it will do what your after. Search Asus gaming laptop in deals
EDIT didn't come up for me with Asus but its here
38938168.jpg
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 8th Nov
£500 can get you a decent spec laptop but generally speaking laptops aren’t gaming machines because their graphics cards are built in. That said some have a bloody good go.

If the games are simple like fortnite or mine craft then it’s very much achievable. If you want to play GTA V (which I totally don’t understand why parents allow their children to play it ) then you’re going to need to increase your budget.

Laptops have about 2-3 year life cycle. They get slow quickly because of the amount of crap people install and the operating system becomes more demanding.

If you want choices something like
HP 15.6 Inch Slim i5 8GB 256GB SSD FHD Laptop

argos.co.uk/pro…648

I5 processor is good from intel does the job
8gb ram is plenty of space
256 ssd solid state drive is quicker than conventional hard drives.
Downside is the graphics card. But will place games listed above it’ll probably play others with the settings turned down.

Good luck.
uglybeautyqueen08/11/2019 21:29

Ermmm, what ever games are on steam sorry I'm totally rubbish …Ermmm, what ever games are on steam sorry I'm totally rubbish when it comes to stuff like this. Unfortunately a desk top isn't something we have room for. I had a feeling it would have to be more that £500 but I really didn't want to go over that budget, maybe I'll get lucky over black Friday/cyber Monday

AAA games are known as the big releases that basically most kids will want to play, so the answer is yes and it’s worth buying something decent (not top of the range of course those are around £2-4k) if you want them to do gaming on as you can’t upgrade the graphics on a laptop, your stuck with it and you’ll lose money if you try and sell them off to buy something different.

You basically want something with either a 2060 or 1660 graphics in it, looking at current prices these are around £1.1k each, these would be good for 3-5 years. There maybe some cheaper offers of older tech that you can get for around £500-700 but those will stop playing the latest games properly in as little as a year or two and may not even do it currently. You’ll be then looking to spend this kind of money again so buying cheap is a false economy with laptops.

It’s a shame you can’t consider a desktop as these are cheaper, more easily upgradable and things like graphics cards can be changed when they no longer are effective without having to upgrade the other components unless there is a major technology change and old parts sold off second hand to make back some cash.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Nov
dazza7908/11/2019 22:41

£500 can get you a decent spec laptop but generally speaking laptops …£500 can get you a decent spec laptop but generally speaking laptops aren’t gaming machines because their graphics cards are built in. That said some have a bloody good go. If the games are simple like fortnite or mine craft then it’s very much achievable. If you want to play GTA V (which I totally don’t understand why parents allow their children to play it ) then you’re going to need to increase your budget. Laptops have about 2-3 year life cycle. They get slow quickly because of the amount of crap people install and the operating system becomes more demanding. If you want choices something like HP 15.6 Inch Slim i5 8GB 256GB SSD FHD Laptophttps://www.argos.co.uk/product/1997648 I5 processor is good from intel does the job8gb ram is plenty of space 256 ssd solid state drive is quicker than conventional hard drives. Downside is the graphics card. But will place games listed above it’ll probably play others with the settings turned down. Good luck.

my boys are 12 and 14 neither play Minecraft or fortnight , thanks for the suggestion though.
cmdr_elito09/11/2019 02:33

AAA games are known as the big releases that basically most kids will want …AAA games are known as the big releases that basically most kids will want to play, so the answer is yes and it’s worth buying something decent (not top of the range of course those are around £2-4k) if you want them to do gaming on as you can’t upgrade the graphics on a laptop, your stuck with it and you’ll lose money if you try and sell them off to buy something different.You basically want something with either a 2060 or 1660 graphics in it, looking at current prices these are around £1.1k each, these would be good for 3-5 years. There maybe some cheaper offers of older tech that you can get for around £500-700 but those will stop playing the latest games properly in as little as a year or two and may not even do it currently. You’ll be then looking to spend this kind of money again so buying cheap is a false economy with laptops.It’s a shame you can’t consider a desktop as these are cheaper, more easily upgradable and things like graphics cards can be changed when they no longer are effective without having to upgrade the other components unless there is a major technology change and old parts sold off second hand to make back some cash.

See I'd much prefer for them to have a desktop but I need to get one each which would be an issue. My younger one has autism and ADHD, he doesn't do well with waiting turns etc, He's very much into gaming which is why I wanted the laptops to be good for gaming too. Thank you so much for the advice it's really appreciated.
uglybeautyqueen09/11/2019 08:01

See I'd much prefer for them to have a desktop but I need to get one each …See I'd much prefer for them to have a desktop but I need to get one each which would be an issue. My younger one has autism and ADHD, he doesn't do well with waiting turns etc, He's very much into gaming which is why I wanted the laptops to be good for gaming too. Thank you so much for the advice it's really appreciated.

get a desktop and a laptop it will save you a bit of money you could get a mid range desktop for £500-600, then spend £1000 on a laptop...
uglybeautyqueen09/11/2019 08:01

See I'd much prefer for them to have a desktop but I need to get one each …See I'd much prefer for them to have a desktop but I need to get one each which would be an issue. My younger one has autism and ADHD, he doesn't do well with waiting turns etc, He's very much into gaming which is why I wanted the laptops to be good for gaming too. Thank you so much for the advice it's really appreciated.

What about getting them on of these each awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-5-2600-3.9ghz-mb520-rgb-gtx-1660-6gb-windows-10-gaming-pc-monitor-package-if10.html

In the options add a WiFi 600mbps card.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants