Groups

help, can I cover fig tree to allow figs to finish/ripen?

hardly ever get figs. cut fig tree back the other year so lost one years fruits. Had 4 figs in the summer but theres loads coming through maybe upto 50 various sizes, a couple of the leaves are turning orange but the bush/tree is quite big green and leafy. I have a thick transparent tarp If I tried to cover the fig with this could I keep the fig warm enough to allow the figs to finish growing? Or is there something else I can do. It is planted and large, I live in south east cornwall??

11 Comments

Read RHS article on it ... Something like remove any larger figs that are unlikely to ripen and leave the tiny ones for next year .

Original Poster

plodging

Read RHS article on it ... Something like remove any larger figs that are … Read RHS article on it ... Something like remove any larger figs that are unlikely to ripen and leave the tiny ones for next year .

well I wondered if I kept warm I could get some to finish this year? I'll have a look at the RHS article

I grow figs, I would say anything left now will not ripen whatever you try.

Best to remove them and leave anything of large pea size or smaller which should ripen nicely next year.

Do you know what variety of fig it is?

I'm growing one in Birmingham. Wish me luck :P

Original Poster

Robj1

I grow figs, I would say anything left now will not ripen whatever you … I grow figs, I would say anything left now will not ripen whatever you try. Best to remove them and leave anything of large pea size or smaller which should ripen nicely next year. Do you know what variety of fig it is?

no wouldn't have a clue on variety unless its easy to identify from photos, ie. if the varieties look very different and I can pick mine out from pictures. Does removing the larger ones help with grow next year then, seems such a shame as there are loads of what I would describe have 1/2 sized figs

Original Poster

batezy_1984

lol think we both need luck

Yes, removing the half size ones that won't ripen will help.

I am on Wirral, so far more North than both of you!

Original Poster

Robj1

Yes, removing the half size ones that won't ripen will help. I am on … Yes, removing the half size ones that won't ripen will help. I am on Wirral, so far more North than both of you!

how many fig trees have you got and whats the average yield up there in the wirral, are some varieties better and producing quantity/taste?

Robj1

Yes, removing the half size ones that won't ripen will help. I am on … Yes, removing the half size ones that won't ripen will help. I am on Wirral, so far more North than both of you!

Haha definitely !

I just have the one, a classic 'brown turkey', very hardy, and a good cropper.

I restrict the root growth using buried flag stones to encourage the cropping rather than pure growth.

I am on extremely sandy nutritient deficient soil, I add plenty of compost to the protected root space, though I am not sure this is actually required.

Banned

batezy_1984

Luck. oO
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020