Groups

Help cancelling mobile contract within 14 days (ordered online, odd circumstances)

This one should be cut and dry except the email address I used was not monitored and I did not realise this.

Bought a BT Mobile contract, on day 13 my number ported and I realised there was no visual voicemail, a feature which I use heavily.
    On the evening of day 14 I sent BT an email, I couldn't find an address listed on their site so I replied to the order confirmation email.
    I just rang BT to chase this up and was told that the email address is not monitored and this was stated in the email, they are correct but it is stated under the signature of the Managing Director, just above the small print. This is a long email and admittedly I did not read it all. I received no bounceback to inform me the message would not be received.

Where do I stand on this? I stated my intentions within the 14 day period allowed by the Consumer credit act (http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised) and it was sent to a BT email address so whether it landed in a mailbox or not their mailserver logs should show a timestamp.

I thought they would rather allow it as it is an obvious mistake but looks like I will have to escalate, I just wanted to see if I was in the right or not before I tried to do this.

Advice appreciated,
    Thanks

12 Comments

just go to complaints process and if still not happy of com.

Personally I don't know the answer however I thought you would have had to contact a dedicated department to validate your cancellation of contract notice therefore you email would not be a valid. I also thought it was basic knowledge that 99% of order confirmation emails are generated automatically and their inboxes are not monitored?

Install Hullomail app.

Hullomail

Original Poster

justanothercid

just go to complaints process and if still not happy of com.

Thanks, I was going to go via twitter as that tends to end up with someone who takes it seriously and has the ability to make things happen or CEO Mail, had success with both before when complaining about faults with BT services. Just wanted to know where I stood though as they are right in that the email states it is not monitored but equally there is no benefit in me sending it to an email address if I know it won't be seen especially if I was within the 14 days and can prove so. It was more of a panic as it was the evening of day 14 so window was closing.

Original Poster

Josh - you only have to state your intentions by the end of the 14th day, it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you can prove it was submitted in time. Email was perfect for this as it has time stamps in the header, the call centre was probably closed by then and even if it wasn't you are relying on the rep to understand the problem and also make a note of it, if they accidentally state the wrong reason for the call I assume this is invalid but on an email it is black and white. The email address I used was more of a rush due to the timed nature, I had gone through their websites looking for another, with hindsight should have CC'd [email protected] too but didn't cross my mind. I would expect a bounceback from them still as many older people would reply to an order confirmation and with no bounceback would think they were ignored (granted I was silly in this case ).

Hullomail looks very interesting, will check that out thanks!

I'd imagine they might be lenient if you contacted them first thing in the morning via telephone and explained the situation. Tell them you had trouble finding a BT email address and the website would only list livechat (offline) and phone (out of hours) means of contact and nothing more.

But as standard, confirmation emails are never monitored. Even if you sent an email to it i'm not sure if they could or would verify it.

Original Poster

PenguinsForAll

I'd imagine they might be lenient if you contacted them first thing in … I'd imagine they might be lenient if you contacted them first thing in the morning via telephone and explained the situation. Tell them you had trouble finding a BT email address and the website would only list livechat (offline) and phone (out of hours) means of contact and nothing more.But as standard, confirmation emails are never monitored. Even if you sent an email to it i'm not sure if they could or would verify it.

Problem with that is I was of the belief I had sent the email I needed to, I didn't send the email knowing it was unmonitored and no bounce back added further credence. They should be able to verify but doubt they'll bother as it would take a little effort and it should just be a log entry to say a mail was rejected, my email in sent items should be enough proof if they accept their unmonitored message should have been more prominent such as at the very top as many others do. I have started the ball rolling now. Thanks

when you refer to day 14, is this 14 days from you placing the order or 14 days from receiving a sim card?

you are right, its a strange one. you tried to state your intentions as required under the regulations, and the regs state 'using a durable medium', this might be where the question arises.

BT should have provided you with a cancellation form. Did you read this?

Original Poster

adamspencer95

when you refer to day 14, is this 14 days from you placing the order or … when you refer to day 14, is this 14 days from you placing the order or 14 days from receiving a sim card?you are right, its a strange one. you tried to state your intentions as required under the regulations, and the regs state 'using a durable medium', this might be where the question arises.BT should have provided you with a cancellation form. Did you read this?

Day 14 from placing the order online. I do not recall ever seeing a cancellation form, it may have been in the small print though. I am expecting a call today regarding the message I sent yesterday so will see what some 'higher ups' make of it all. Thanks

cecilmcroberts

Install Hullomail app.Hullomail

That looks good can you give me more user advantages.

allowed

That looks good can you give me more user advantages.

I don't exactly work the company who produces this app. Read the website, watch the youtube videos,download and look yourself.

Original Poster

As an update, had a call from the MDs office and they resolved without any problems at all.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767505
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553793
      3. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....57
      4. Feels weird!510

See more discussions