Help cancelling phone contract after mum died(but in dads name)

Found 7th Mar 2012
basically my mum died on jan 4th.
my dad has family mobiles(my dad,mum,brother)
all under my dads name as this is prob what orange got him to do at time.

i have asked them to cancel my mums which has just under a year on it(3 year contracts for each of them)
the phone she had isnt a expensive phone either.

so orange have aid because the phone is in my dads name and not my mums own contract they wont cancel it for him and he has to pay the remainder of the contract,wondering if anyone has any similar issues and managed to solve it or any advice

i have told them i will spread word of how disrespectful it is and regardless of t&c its good will etc,but they wont have any of it.

with my mum dying sudden at 56 and no cause has been found life is hard enough at moment without companies being ****
Community Updates
40 Comments
Banned
no offence but they probably get inundated with fake reasons like someone dying so I can see where they are coming from.
Sorry to hear that you're in this position due to such a tragic incident - but its due to the underhanded tactics that so many people would possibly use to get out of their own contracts that leads the operators to take such a tough stance.

I assume you've provided all evidence that there are multiple phones in your fathers name etc, usage would be at 0 since her death and you've put the full request in writing to their head office providing copies of usage data, death cert and with a heart felt letter explaining all?
Take some paperwork proof into an Orange shop instead. That might work.
Predikuesi

Take some paperwork proof into an Orange shop instead. That might work.

Orange shops are unable to do anything that deal with changing contracts, all they do is sell phones
lewwardington

Orange shops are unable to do anything that deal with changing contracts, … Orange shops are unable to do anything that deal with changing contracts, all they do is sell phones

Not exactly true. I have spoken to the shop staff who then phoned up their HQ when I had a problem with my account. Anyway, my point was that proof can be shown and they could start the ball rolling for the customer.
It is your Dad who has the contract, and he is still alive. They have no reason to cancel the contract?
Sorry to hear about you mum.

I'd make a complaint in writing, provide a photocopy of the death certificate to show you are genuine and if you get no response make a complaint to the ombudsman.
adviceguide.org.uk/ind…htm
Could you not cancel one of the other phone contracts or were they taken out at the same time?
Original Poster
Chiptivo

It is your Dad who has the contract, and he is still alive. They have no … It is your Dad who has the contract, and he is still alive. They have no reason to cancel the contract?

yeah my dad still alive with 3 contracts(his,mums,brothers)
i understand what you say but surely companies can understand,they got my dad to have all 3 in his name,instead of seperate,orange knew the phones where for different peopel when they setup the contracts.

deviouspaul

Sorry to hear that you're in this position due to such a tragic incident … Sorry to hear that you're in this position due to such a tragic incident - but its due to the underhanded tactics that so many people would possibly use to get out of their own contracts that leads the operators to take such a tough stance.I assume you've provided all evidence that there are multiple phones in your fathers name etc, usage would be at 0 since her death and you've put the full request in writing to their head office providing copies of usage data, death cert and with a heart felt letter explaining all?

i havent sent any letters,certificates in yet, just phone call to there service line.

i understand that people may use excuses to get out of contracts but they knew it was for 3 people,i have to try write a letter up and get some stuff together to post to them.
thanks folks
Banned
I would try calling again as you may well get someone more sympathetic

Surely your Dad has to phone anyway as they shouldnt be speaking with you
Original Poster
cdm22

Could you not cancel one of the other phone contracts or were they taken … Could you not cancel one of the other phone contracts or were they taken out at the same time?

they took out 3x3 year contracts,they have done 2 years on them so far,all due for renewal march 2013 i think,

jellybaby22

Sorry to hear about your mum...When your dad took out the extra contract, … Sorry to hear about your mum...When your dad took out the extra contract, which you say orange got him to do...I'm assuming they knew your dad didn't need all these contracts for himself? Did they put that on their system? If not really they are right technically...the contract is your dads...they ave no reason to cancel, maybe write a letter explaining you might get further??

my dad told them he wanted 3 phones all setup with different allowances because it was for 3 seperate people
all 3 taken out at the exact same time,directly with orange.
Original Poster
csiman

I would try calling again as you may well get someone more … I would try calling again as you may well get someone more sympatheticSurely your Dad has to phone anyway as they shouldnt be speaking with you

they spoke to me about the issue,they wouldnt talk account specifics but they got the info up and spoke to me about it all,my dad has also rang them and they refused him also,but since he lost the only women he ever been with and is now 60,he is a bit weak mentally at moment and hasnt got the energy to fight,our minds still blown over her passing at 56 and she perfectly healthy and 2 autospys and toxicology cant find anything.

im jsut shocked a person who has 3 contracts with a company for 3 years that they wont allow him to cancel one,knowing that a good will gesture that would lose the company say £150(although my mums phone was only £150 at renewal in shops) so they have made more than enough from them.
now he never gonna go with orange again,i wont and alot of my friends and family wont either.

i will go the letter route with documents,again thanks folks
surely if the phone is in your dads name, regardless who it was actually for, then it's your dad that's responsible for the bill and any cancellation charges..

As already mentioned, a covering letter and a copy of the death certificate to the head office.

It is very sad to hear your mum died so young and suddenly. Please ask for help from your local MP, they can be very useful at supporting you with handling paperwork.

Citizens advise bureau might be able to help
or Watchdog
bbc.co.uk/wat…ry/
Original Poster
dudey i know what u saying and i agree in a way,its just orange knew at time it was for 3 people,they got my dad to get all 3 in his name(account)
there should be a point in business that compasion or something kicks in.

im gonna look into the letter and take it CA,so they can look it over and while im in town will nip into my local orange store.
Banned
DudeyGeeza

surely if the phone is in your dads name, regardless who it was actually … surely if the phone is in your dads name, regardless who it was actually for, then it's your dad that's responsible for the bill and any cancellation charges..

And then discretion was invented.

sorry to hear of your loss ramiuk1.
Sorry to hear about your mum ramiuk1, when it comes to big companys like ORANGE, you need to go straight to the top to get anything done, EMAIL the CEO of the company all the details, believe me, your get a much quicker response either way, if he can't do it, no one can!

olaf.swantee@orange.co.uk

RICH
sorry to hear about your mum, i would do what gari has suggested in post ~7
Banned
Orange haven't technically done anything wrong in selling your dad 3 contracts in his name although they are for different people. It's not as if the forced him into doing it that way.

As has been said above - try again and hope you get a sympathetic ear. Bear in mind you're dealing with orange who are essentially crap
Banned
gari189

Sorry to hear about you mum. I'd make a complaint in writing, provide a … Sorry to hear about you mum. I'd make a complaint in writing, provide a photocopy of the death certificate to show you are genuine and if you get no response make a complaint to the ombudsman. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/money_management_index_ew/mobile_phones_index_ewsni/complaints_about_mobile_phones.htm

Complain to the ombudsman? What for? Orange have done nothing wrong (for a change),

OP, I wouldn't start wring complaint letters, you have nothing to complain about. Write to the CEO's office explaining (rather than complaining) the situation, send a copy of the death certificate and see what happens.
sorry to hear about your mum i hope you manage to get it sorted
Banned
as above, I would contact WATCHDOG. They love getting their teeth into the big guns with stories like this.

bbc.co.uk/wat…og/
Sorry to hear about your mum.

How much is her phone worth? Maybe selling it will cover most of the cost of paying the contract off? .
Banned
colinsunderland

OP, I wouldn't start wring complaint letters, you have nothing to … OP, I wouldn't start wring complaint letters, you have nothing to complain about. Write to the CEO's office explaining (rather than complaining) the situation, send a copy of the death certificate and see what happens.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this, as already said orange probably hear more stories in a day than we can imagine, sorry to hear of your loss but think the above is the best way to go
Edited by: "sassie" 8th Mar 2012
jeany123

Citizens advise bureau might be able to helpor … Citizens advise bureau might be able to helpor Watchdoghttp://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

Watchdog? Dont waste to OP's time with ridiculous suggestions - many people have more than 1 phone/contract so in itself this is not a contractual issue so there is no "rogue trader" or the like here - what is needed is a gesture of goodwill from Orange in ceasing the contract.
csiman

as above, I would contact WATCHDOG. They love getting their teeth into … as above, I would contact WATCHDOG. They love getting their teeth into the big guns with stories like this.http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/

There aint a story here to get their teeth into.... stop wasting peoples time!
ZedEx

Sorry to hear about your mum.How much is her phone worth? Maybe selling … Sorry to hear about your mum.How much is her phone worth? Maybe selling it will cover most of the cost of paying the contract off? .

Read first post - "the phone she had isnt a expensive phone either. "
colinsunderland

Complain to the ombudsman? What for? Orange have done nothing wrong (for … Complain to the ombudsman? What for? Orange have done nothing wrong (for a change),

Legally probably nothing as the contract is in the fathers name - but charging for a phone contract for an individual who has now died has to be at the very least, morally repugnant........but maybe thats just my opinion.

If it was me I'd still complain.
Edited by: "gari189" 8th Mar 2012
If you cannot get out of the deal you should be able to drop the contract to a much lower tariff with hardly any mins etc which will at least reduce the cost.
Banned
gari189

Legally probably nothing as the contract is in the fathers name - but … Legally probably nothing as the contract is in the fathers name - but charging for a phone contract for an individual who has now died has to be at the very least, morally repugnant........but maybe thats just my opinion.If it was me I'd still complain.

so you are suggesting he waste more time and effort complaining to someone who can't possibly do anything, as, as you have said, legally they have done nothing wrong?
Banned
deviouspaul

There aint a story here to get their teeth into.... stop wasting peoples … There aint a story here to get their teeth into.... stop wasting peoples time!

It was a suggestion. No need to throw your toys out of the pram

BTW, I see you have added nothing constructive to this thread

Edited by: "csiman" 8th Mar 2012
csiman

It was a suggestion. No need to throw your toys out of the pramBTW, I see … It was a suggestion. No need to throw your toys out of the pramBTW, I see you have added nothing constructive to this threadWe all know your sort so do one troll!

Was it not me that added the first constructive comment? Don’t try and antagonise people with your nonsense...

My sort? Fine one to talk
Glad you managed to sort out the tricky situtation with my help ramiuk1

Banned
how was it sorted then?
richx45

Glad you managed to sort out the tricky situtation with my help ramiuk1:)

?????????????
Original Poster
colinsunderland

how was it sorted then?

sorry for late reply.

richx45 gave me this email olaf.swantee@orange.co.uk
i got a phonecall from orange uk CEO same day .
he personally sorted it .
i had to email him death cert but sorted it for my family.
I'm really sorry about your mum,please email the orange ceo and explain your situation. I had a problem with orange so sent an email. A lovely lady called linda phoned me within 48 hours and sorted it for me.
ramiuk1

sorry for late reply.richx45 gave me this email olaf.swantee@orange.co.uk … sorry for late reply.richx45 gave me this email olaf.swantee@orange.co.uk i got a phonecall from orange uk CEO same day .he personally sorted it .i had to email him death cert but sorted it for my family.

I didn't see your reply before I posted but glad you got it sorted :-)

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants