Help, cant get a pre reg! :(

Posted 31st Dec 2019
So, I’m a third year university student studying Optometry. Im based in the North West and the demand for a pre reg after completing a degree is very high within my area. I don’t know what to do! Moving far out isn’t an option for me (personal circumstances) but i guess if i was given a pre reg without an interview somewhere far id grab that opportunity with both hands. Unfortunately I’ve never had a part time job either, keep getting rejected as they want past experience (can’t get none if I don’t get the opportunity to work!) I really don’t know what to do, I’m scared to finish my degree because I know I’ll be stuck. I’m trying to find a Pre Registration place for 2020 at any store (Boots, specsavers, vision express or independent stores). So if anyone could help me out I’d be ever so grateful. I’m going into 2020 feeling a bit lost 😣
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I thought for a moment that the thread was saying "Help, can't get Preg"!
Haircut_10031/12/2019 20:38

I thought for a moment that the thread was saying "Help, can't get Preg"! …I thought for a moment that the thread was saying "Help, can't get Preg"!

I thought they wanted to buy a car.
6 Comments
Not sure how asking on a deals site will help but.... when my son was looking for work (admittedly only fork lift work) we printed out some introductory letters along the lines of.. "Can you help? I'm 19 a years old, newly qualified, fork lift driver - and I'm looking for work." There's was more, but you get the idea.
We drove around various places, he walked in and handed them over in person. Within the hour he had two interviews arranged. A job offer at the first interview.
Maybe something like that would work for you, as it shows determination and application. Stand out from the crowd - for the right reason.
It is hard to get a job without having previous experience.
My cousin had to volunteer at a charity shop for a couple of months before they offered him a full time job there.
Unfortunately it's becoming more and more common.
What they don't tell you at school is to get yourself out there volunteering for places before you leave higher education because there is a lot of people in the unemployment pot looking at the same time for the same jobs as yourself.
I think January is also a period where people hiring is at a low.

Unfortunately if you cannot find a preferred job in your area then you will have to look outside your area, but if you cannot afford to then you will have to get any job in the meantime until you finish your degree and can afford to leave your area (meanwhile still looking in your area for preferred job). Any experiences even retail is better than no experience at all. It means you are not lazy and you have a work ethic even if it is not your preferred field, it gets you on the job ladder. Jobs don't grow on trees and you have to move where the work is nowadays if you are in a specific field - especially younger people in my opinion.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 31st Dec 2019
I thought for a moment that the thread was saying "Help, can't get Preg"!
Haircut_10031/12/2019 20:38

I thought for a moment that the thread was saying "Help, can't get Preg"! …I thought for a moment that the thread was saying "Help, can't get Preg"!

plebbygiraffe31/12/2019 22:33

Same here. I have no idea what a pre reg job is!
Pre-reg, pre-registration role for optometrists. It is where they work for 12-18 months gaining experience seeing patients and doing additional exams.
Have you checked with the College of Optometrists for opticians that gave registered to take on pre-reg staff? You need a full time optician or 2 part timers as supervisor that have been qualified for about 3 years I think it is. So it limits spaces on where you can be accommodated.
The worst areas are always near the Unis. You need to try further afield. You will find somewhere, it’ll still be easier than completing your degree
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions