Help!, can't remove wrought iron gate handle/latch.

Posted 31st Jan
I've been asked to fix a gate, it has been left open in the wind and slammed, and some wood has broken off (which I have fixed) but this latch has hit the wall and it is bent (the latch looks way too long anyway - i would cut this if I can salvage it all). It is solid, I can't bend it back in situ as the wood will break before the metal.
So, owner said I can remove the whole latch, stick it in my vice and bend it back,shorten it, clean it up, new bolts etc, only I can't get the bleedin thing off.

Took me 30mins to remove 4 bolts, and that has achieved nothing! The baseplates won't budge. The handles seem welded onto the shaft, I tried crowbarring the handles opposite way and nothing gives.

I can't see how this thing comes apart. Perhaps the paint is covering a screw?

Any of you intellects know I can get this off? (Apart from an angle grinder of course!)3398686-TpxVO.jpg3398686-lSNBl.jpg3398686-2rJyS.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Spindle has probably rusted, try to get wd40 or similar to release spindle, a bit of brute force will probably be needed. Also try removing the other side..
Edited by: "cuzzy" 31st Jan
Try spraying some WD40 maybe tapping with a hammer to loosen?
Ok, I only took one small crowbar with me. I will take some friends and lube.

These handles are just slotted onto the shaft yes, and bolted baseplates should just clamp them together? They aren't screwed on or anything weird? This gate could be as old as me IDK.
A good soak in diesel
Just bend it back
splatsplatsplat31/01/2020 14:05

Ok, I only took one small crowbar with me. I will take some friends and …Ok, I only took one small crowbar with me. I will take some friends and lube. These handles are just slotted onto the shaft yes, and bolted baseplates should just clamp them together? They aren't screwed on or anything weird? This gate could be as old as me IDK.

"I will take some friends and lube" sounds like a really good party
Can you put some G clamps over it to hold the base part of the latch down while you bend it in situ?
If it's that much trouble, I'd have just heated it up to make it malleable and bend it inwards again. Then cut it shorter so as not to strike the wall anymore.
Personally I would put a packer where its bent against/between the gate and the latch, then use a hammer and bend it back straight then trim the end to make sure it doesn't catch the wall.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants